The song that defines U2's sound??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zooropop40

Refugee
Interference is called Interference because it int
If you were to pick 1 song that would sum up all of U2's sound (as in all of their decades, emotions, atmosphere rolled into one), which song would you pick? If some one has never heard of U2 and wanted to understand their style, which song would you play for them to display U2's sound??

Here is my pick

Electrical Storm (This song encompasses all of their decades and styles rolled into one)

and a close second song that defines U2 for me is:

Magnificent
(once again the anthem of the early 80's, the melodic sounds from the late 80's, the techno/ electronica from the 90's, and the pure rock of the 00's)

Which song defines U2 as a band for you?

and a close second song that defines U2 for me is:

Magnificent
(once again the anthem of the early 80's, the melodic sounds from the late 80's, the techno/ electronica from the 90's, and the pure rock of the 00's)

Which song defines U2 as a band for you?

I think this is a great description of this song, I think this is why so many of us thought this would have been an obvious hit...:shrug:

This one does come close, let me think about this for awhile :hmm:

Well, it has to be a 00's song, otherwise one of the phases of their career won't be represented, so I guess I would say that No Line on the Horizon, Get on Your Boots, Big Girls Are Best, Magnificent, Electrical Storm or (maybe) Unknown Caller can do the job.

Well, it has to be a 00's song, otherwise one of the phases of their career won't be represented, so I guess I would say that No Line on the Horizon, Get on Your Boots, Big Girls Are Best, Magnificent, Electrical Storm or (maybe) Unknown Caller can do the job.

well not necessarily, because there are songs in the 80's and 90's that also have that "straight rock" feel of the 00's that also mix with other eras. Even in the 80's there are some songs that have a kind of "achtung baby" feel to them before achtung came out. I think all in all, magnificent is the all era, just definitively U2 song.

OOTS, SYCMIOYO, COBL, NLOTH, Magnificent, are all great songs that contain that essence of all their eras. If I had to pick one song I'd say Magnificent. I completely agree with you zooropop40. It has all the decades jam packed into one complete song. Not to derail this thread but I wonder what song U2 has done since the Zooropa era that comes close sound of Zooropa (song)?

Magnificent is probably the one I'd go for, it really has that euphoric feeling that only great U2 songs possess.

For me it would be:

Bad - I remember when this came out and sitting on my living room floor watching Live Aid and seeing them do this song :drool:

One Tree Hill - emotionaly probably the best lyrics written for any of there songs

Heartland - Atmospheric sounding w/ Edge and Bono taking us on a journey to the "Heartland" of America

Acrobat, UV and LIB - all three of these songs captures the raw emotions of Love found and Love lost

Where the streets have no name. The religious imagery often used by Bono, and Edge's trademark sound.

pride. i honestly believe if you would play any five seconds of this song to any random listener chances are that he or she will recognize it as u2. must be the sound.

Where the Streets have No Name or With or Without You.

A more recent song, I guess Magnificent, though I still don't get the hype.

Pride/Streets are the songs you could play 5 secs of and have literally anyone off the street from ages 20 to 60, would have a great chance of recognizing it as U2.

As for a song that sort of encapsulates all of it, with the sonics of 90's and the more purposeful songwriting of the 21st century, Magnificent would be a great choice. Also Beautiful Day would be in that discussion, in my book.

Back
Top Bottom