The greatest performance....of ANY song....by ANY band....EVER!!!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

youarenotimmune

Refugee
yes yes, I know the above isn't possible, what with music being subjective and all, but this really is one of the most PERFECT performances you'll ever see!

there are so many great live U2 performances (Hawkmoon 269 from lovetown sydney, the Dirty Day performances from Zoo TV downunder, THAT One Tree Hill, Stay from Zoo TV Dublin, Streets from the Point Depot lovetown shows, a number of With or Without You performances, and abt a dozen Bad performances). the list is nearly endless, but when it comes to pure ENERGY, I believe THIS performance of Gloria from Dortmund just can't be beat! Actually there were quite a few roof-blowing performances of Gloria during The Unforgettable Fire tour, but this one stands out because of three reasons:

1. It is an excellent soundboard recording
2. We have an exhilirating video of it (just look at the energy in the crowd!)
3. The performance really is one of the best of the song!

So while I may have jumped the gun in titling this thread the way i did, there is no doubt that on the basis of ENERGY, yes, this IS one HELL of a performance!

If any of you haven't seen this before, please, do yourself a favour and watch it NOW!!! Oh, and I'd also recommend downloading the whole boot from u2start.com (A Fire in Dortmund), because it is a pretty darn good show! And the quality of that soundboard is even better than what you hear in this video.

YouTube - U2 - Gloria - Live at Dortmund (1984)

Those Ultraviolet & With or Without You performances are amongst my favourite as well, but for both these songs I've always had a rotating favourite performance slot (as I have for most U2 songs). There are about 7 or 8 performances of WOWY and about 4 of Ultraviolet which have occupied the best-performance-ever-of-this-song slot for me one time or another, and yes these two are certainly amongst those.

but this performance of Gloria has ALWAYS been my favourite of it. Like i said before, the energy of this performance from start to finish is just.....:drool: :drool: :drool:

I like Sunday Bloody Sunday as the best one from Rattle and Hum the movie.

Really hard to say... but I always speak highly about Bullet the Blue Sky live from São Paulo, Brazil on January 31, 1998. I guess that's just one of the several amazing ones though. (This is perfect, but the whole show is extremely worth the download btw.)
There's also All I Want Is You/Where the Streets Have No Name from the Go Home show. That can give me chills. City of Blinding Lights and Elevation live in Brazil, February 21, 2006 also. (But I'm suspicious to talk about this show.) Daddy's Gonna Pay/Lemon from Zoo TV Sydney. There's too many to list
But since we're on the subject, could anyone point me the best live versions of Who's Gonna Ride and Hawkmoon? I love them, but I don't have the habit of collecting bootlegs, so I've never heard live versions of those. Thanks in advance.

^ That's my favorite Gloria performance ever :applaud:...

...but my personal favorite performances of any song ever are Mysterious Ways from ZooTV Washington DC '92 and Streets 1989-12-26.

Really hard to say... but I always speak highly about Bullet the Blue Sky live from São Paulo, Brazil on January 31, 1998. I guess that's just one of the several amazing ones though. (This is perfect, but the whole show is extremely worth the download btw.)
There's also All I Want Is You/Where the Streets Have No Name from the Go Home show. That can give me chills. City of Blinding Lights and Elevation live in Brazil, February 21, 2006 also. (But I'm suspicious to talk about this show.) Daddy's Gonna Pay/Lemon from Zoo TV Sydney. There's too many to list
But since we're on the subject, could anyone point me the best live versions of Who's Gonna Ride and Hawkmoon? I love them, but I don't have the habit of collecting bootlegs, so I've never heard live versions of those. Thanks in advance.

My favorite Wild Horses performances are ZooTV Stockholm and Vertigo Amsterdam. Not sure about Hawkmoon.

Here's Hawkmoon live from Sydney:

Hawkmoon

Only proshot Hawkmoon I could find. I love that SBS from Self Aid, forgot all about that one. I'm also rather fond of WoWY from the Paris DVD and Fly from Boston.

@ coolian2...

This is a great version but there might be a new contender with tonight's (June 30, 2009) version of Ultra Violet in Barcelona. Wow what a performance. Check it out on youtube - smoking hot, full of emotion, swinging Bono and LEDs.

@ coolian2...

This is a great version but there might be a new contender with tonight's (June 30, 2009) version of
Ultra Violet
in Barcelona. Wow what a performance. Check it out on youtube - smoking hot, full of emotion, swinging Bono and LEDs.

ohhhh yeaaaaa!!! that performance was the SHIT! :D

there was a GREAT medley during the elevation tour (2001-07-12, Cologne, Germany) in which they sang Desire, Hawkmoon & Running to Stand Still (even though the entire performance was with Desire's basic strumming, i'm not calling the latter two mere snippets becuz.....well, u'll understand when you hear it :))

get the boot from U2start.com, or if you just want this performance gimme your email address and i'll send it to u

@ coolian2...

This is a great version but there might be a new contender with tonight's (June 30, 2009) version of Ultra Violet in Barcelona. Wow what a performance. Check it out on youtube - smoking hot, full of emotion, swinging Bono and LEDs.

Spoilers suck.

In keeping with the topic, which asks for any band and not just U2, I'd put in a mention for Queen's performance of Radio Ga Ga on their Wembley DVD from 1986. I think Queen's ability to raise all hell in a stadium is up there with U2. The two best live bands ever IMO.

As for non-U2...any performance of Rearviewmirror has to be in the running.

Back
Top Bottom