Stream of Consciousness Ramblings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RobH

The Fly
Haven't posted, or even looked, on here for years. Just had to get some thoughts out of my head.

What a disappointment U2 has become. Just absolute blah. I used to friggin' love, I mean LOVE this band. I'm 46, right in the wheelhouse of classic longtime fans. They once seemed destined for the pantheon reserved for the true heavyweights of the genre. And based on their 1980-1993 output, they still deserve huge consideration. But it's like they've never recovered from the knockout blow that was Pop. Really, they've been staggering ever since.

In retrospect, I guess the day they died for me was the day I heard "Beautiful Day" on the radio for the first time. I honestly thought it was elevator musak--some kind of imitation U2 or something. Then I kept hearing people saying how "All That You Can't Leave Behind" was a "return to basics" or "back to the good old days", and I was like, "What? This is nothing like either of those things." And it's not like I was longing for a return to the good old days. I just wanted new, good music from them. I didn't mind the experimentation at all--Pop just didn't work for me, or a lot of others, for that matter. But it seems like they got so scared after that that they just dialed it back to keep producing this dreck. I can't even call it "middle of the road dreck", because that is more appropriately reserved for artists like Adele or Coldplay. Yet even they somehow manage to supersede U2 for balls these days.

What the hell happened? Intellectually, I know all bands have a shelf life. Compared to other all time greats, their heyday is about the same as others: Beatles:(1962-1970, simply amazing), Stones (1964-1981) Who (1965-1978) Zeppelin (1969-1980). Beatles and Zep stopped at exactly the right time due to circumstances. Who carried on a bit, then stopped, then re-grouped, etc, and have been trotting out greatest hits tours ever since, even sans two members. Since 1993, U2's arc most resembles the Stones of the mid 80's to the present: Release a horrible album every 4-5 years, followed by mammoth tours where all anyone cares abut are the oldies. Damn, I remember going to one of the first shows of the Zoo TV tour at the Meadowlands where they opened with 8 (!) songs from the "new" album, and they absolutely rocked the house. There'd be a F'in riot if they did that now. They also didn't play anything pre-"Unforgettable Fire", meaning only stuff from the current and previous three albums. If they did that today, the equivalent would be 8 new songs (from whatever album they can't quite seem to put out yet) and then only songs from "All That You Can"t Leave Behind" and beyond. Who'd be up for that?

Emotionally, it's just kind of sad. I've given up any hope of this band ever being close to what they once were. The track record over the last 15 years just says it's not going to happen. "Stuck in a Moment", "Vertigo", "City of Blinding Lights", "I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Go Crazy Tonight", "Window in the Skies". Just one piece of shite after another. Don't even start with "Get On Your Boots". And now these two latest turds.

Bono rightfully has to take the blame for the majority of this crap. He's the frontman, the lyric writer, the face of the band. And the lyrics have been downright clunky. The vocals nowhere near what they used to be.

But you know who seems to be getting a pass all these years? The Edge. Where is the interesting, soaring, "from outer space" guitar that once made this band so unique? Why is every song so damn mid-tempo, or trying too hard to "rock" in some way that just sounds silly? Doesn't he listen to this shit and wonder what happened? Hell, just the opening notes to "Pride" put all of these songs to shame. And I literally mean that: just the opening 10 seconds. I was just passing by a room in a hallway today, and those first guitar notes of "With or Without You", where you first really hear Edge's guitar, were playing. Just so ear-catching. Where are the catchy riffs today? Does he not assert himself in the studio anymore? Has he lost it too? Off the top of my head, I feel he has tried to do that only a handful of times since 2000. One was "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own", but the guitar sounded so much like a mix of "All I Want Is You" and the live version of "Bad" from the '85 EP, that it was disconcerting. The other was "Crumbs From Your Table", which had potential, but was somehow just a little off (Bono's vocals/lyrics didn't help there). To a lesser extent, it was tried with "Magnificent", which sounded good at first, but disappeared like cotton candy after a few listens. No staying power. Not anthemic, though it tried so desperately hard to be.

To those who read this far, I appreciate it. I said I had some things to get off my chest. I know I'll get torched by some out there. But I've earned the right, with all I've invested (in all senses of the word) in these guys. They'll always hold a special place in my heart, but the last 15 years have done a lot towards watering down those memories.

The only part of that post that I call into question is the suggestion that their output from 1993-1997 is anything less than awesome.

I think Beautiful Day is a great U2 song, the furthest thing from "elevator musak" imaginable. The problem is...they've been chasing another Beautiful Day for the past 14 years, and the result has been rancid turds of the like of WITS, Crazy Tonight, Ordinary Love and the slightly-less rancid Invisible. They've become stuck in a moment they can't get out of - October 2000.

To those who read this far, I appreciate it. I said I had some things to get off my chest. I know I'll get torched by some out there. But I've earned the right, with all I've invested (in all senses of the word) in these guys. They'll always hold a special place in my heart, but the last 15 years have done a lot towards watering down those memories.

You invested your heart into four middle-aged men who try to evolve musically. I think it's only natural that they won't be able to live up to the good 'ole days when they were young, adventurous, and limited in responsibility.

I don't understand why people associate 'Ordinary Love' with sound of the new album. Did 'Hands that Built America' sound like anything on HTDAAB? And 'Invisible' isn't a single from the album. It's just a charity track that is supposed to give a small taste of what they were working on.

Geez, expectations are so high, that good songs like 'Ordinary Love' and 'Invisible' are treated like trash. I really enjoyed those tracks. Why did U2 fans get so dismissive?

Despite the resurgence in my interest in U2, I have to agree with some of the things you're saying as they've been rambling around in my head too.

From what I've read, I think they are struggling to remain "relevant" but sometimes I feel like they'll say that in an interview, then say their next album will be something like Achtung Baby, then next I'll read it be a dance album(!! Pop 2.0?), and I can't help but cringe. (I actually love Pop, so that's not why I'm cringing. It's more the "relevancy" factor.) It's like they're just as confused, looking both forward and backward and not sure where to go from there.

In the past their method of surmounting these shifts in public taste was to reinvent themselves. But how much can a band reinvent themselves when its comprised of 50 year old men who have been together for 30+ years? (I'm not saying that as a negative thing!) I think they're pretty much beyond adopting personas, climbing stage scaffolding, etc. I would think instead they would be turning back onto their music, really working it out, but ... I don't feel like that's happened either.

I got back into U2 while on a road trip; bored, I decided to listen to their catalogue backwards, starting with NLOTH, which I had never heard. (I kinda fell out of touch around 2005/6, and still haven't heard all of Atomic Bomb which for me was the "ugh" moment :huh: ). I wound up really liking NLOTH (and WITS) but I continually am on the edge whether or not its elevator music or not. (For me, "Go Crazy" is the epitome of the U2 sound I dislike.) Listening to it today, I thought that it was really relaxing background music. :doh:

Then, later, thinking about Pride (which you mentioned), I couldn't help but feel that THAT song seems so much more "relevant" and musically stirring, and being shocked at how early it appears in the U2 discography... how young they were to write something so great. And now after so many years of musical refinement, we've been getting more and more bland?

Being a fan, I'm with these guys through right and wrong; I'm not obligated to love everything they do, and I'm ok with that. I don't think it makes them any less talented.

tl;dr: As long as they don't bring Miley in on the next album I'll be pleased :D

I mostly agree with your post except:

a. I really really liked Pop.

b. I think Ordinary Love and Invisible are decent, albeit not exceptional. I prefer the former I think... slightly.

The thing is, there is no point having huge expectations with U2 anymore. They're just never going to reach the heights they did with the Unforgettable Fire, Live Aid, the Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. So take every new album song for what it is. Just be happy that they are producing new music at all nowadays. They don't need to. They're filthy rich!

Man, I guess I am one of the few who genuinely enjoy The U2 from 1997 - Present.

ATYCLB is just as interesting an album in their catalog as any. They had never ventured into the pop-rock realm before that. It was a new direction for the band that started there and continued through NLOTH. Sure, I can see why a lot of people may not be into it, but the past decade has certainly added a new era of sound to the catalog. The elevation tour also has a great theme that was refreshing after all the 90s stuff, and it was one I could really get into.

I think the thing that really did stink was HTDAAB. That album stunk. And Bono's lyrics have been WAY spottier this decade (esp HTDAAB), but it seemed to be better on NLOTH. And even HTDAAB could've been good! Put on Native Son instead of Vertigo, Xanax and Wine on the album in place of OSC, Smile on there instead of Miracle Drug, the alternate version of All Because of You, and then Mercy as the closer. Seriously, how did they deem those songs weren't better than what they put on Bomb? It would ACTUALLY have been real rock and roll like they were advertising!

NLOTH was a more mature album. Unique soundscapes, much better lyrics, and it has a much better flow to it than Bomb. The tour did, however, lack a solid theme that their previous tours had, which was a bit depressing. Also, I agree that the middle group of songs really is weak relative to other parts of the album.

Also, ATYCLB, HTDAAB, and NLOTH were WAY more successful than what any of the bands the OP mentioned released after their 'hay-day'... U2 has remained relevant for longer than any other band I can think of. BD - you may not like it, but it was a huge hit! Stuck did pretty well too! Vertigo - same story... everyone knows that song! Also, if I recall, all the singles from Bomb did well over in Europe. NLOTH didn't generate such a hit really although Magnificent did have some success, and GOYB, despite being a bad lead single choice, did make a MILD ripple in the music scene. Even if it was short lived. YOU may not like the 00s stuff, but there's no denying that, on the whole, it was successful.

Nonetheless, I do sense a disturbance now. U2 seems to be stuck. I think the 00s were a wonderful decade, but they are done! They need to refresh their sound, and soon! The problem is, they seem to want to be a hit on the teen pop charts. They have to give that up and just make some good music! I'm ready for the 4th era of U2! If they continue down this path, THEN I may have to agree with the OP...

The flamers are tired from the recent rollercoaster and are sitting this one out, I think.

Back
Top Bottom