Something really bugging me about Ultra Violet...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've always assumed that it's "ultra-vio-leeeeeeeet" as well. I just took a look at the song on the Washington DC DVD and watched Edge and it sure looks and sounds like that's what he's singing.

Are you all serious?

You don't hear "ultraviolet liiiiight"...

This is honestly one of the most obvious u2 "mysteries" I've seen in here.:reject:

I think he's singing "Ultraviolet light" that's my observation. Btw, nice video link Unknown Caller, probably my favorite performance of that song. So beautifuul.

I just tried to listen to it as "light" or "babe" but it just doesn't sound like it to me. It'd be ultra-vilet-light or ultra-vilet-babe in pronunciation. And it doesn't sound like ultravilet to me at all. It sounds like ultraviolet, with every syllable pronounced clearly, and none rushed through. I mean, it'd make sense, since it's the title, to stress every syllable. At least to me. :shrug:

i'm pretty sure it's just 'ultraviolet' that he sings. if he put 'light' or anything after it it would be so cheesy that i might lose the tons of amazement i have for that song. tons.

I always thought it was Babe as well. baaaaaaaaa---abe. Although now I heard light a couple times and love one of the times. It's so layered, maybe they said several things.

I've never had a single doubt that he sings "Ultraviolet Liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight," and still do not after reading this thread.

The extended note is on the word "light."

In the studio version it's just Ultravioleeeet what he sings. And other backing vocals, baby baby baby light my way if I remember correctly..

Are you all serious?

You don't hear "ultraviolet liiiiight"...

This is honestly one of the most obvious u2 "mysteries" I've seen in here.:reject:

Indeed! :up:

Where the hell is Fake Edge when we need him - you all have to admit he would know!!!

Dude, this is weirding me out. I always heard it as just "ultravioleeeeeeeeeeeet," but now that I have it way up on the headphones, it sometimes sounds like "ultraviolet light."

I would argue that each time it happens, it sounds like "ultravioleeeeeeeet" the first time, and then "ultraviolet light" the next, and I can't really tell with the next two, before Bono comes in.

Huh. My worldview has been shattered. :(

He's just singing Ultraviolet sustaining the 5th syllable (leeett..)

100%

I think this is 100% right. i mulled this over for a few years and came to this conclusion long ago, Bono just pronounces every syllable quite slowly.

Back
Top Bottom