Setlists for a hypothetical late 2019 tour of Australia, NZ, Asia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I still have no reason to doubt U2songs, bad luck for them that the information that was correct at the time(s) was later changed. Fingers crossed for Friday.

I know I'm in the privileged position of being in Europe so have had loads of opportunities to see them over the last while, but this expected leg really does feel like an after-thought doesn't it?

I know I'm in the privileged position of being in Europe so have had loads of opportunities to see them over the last while, but this expected leg really does feel like an after-thought doesn't it?
It certainly does. Hopefully it won't just be a rehash of the JT30 setlist, & they can morph it to include some of the highlights of the two recent arena tours.

Tbh, I think they are aware that by branding it as JT2019, instead of a JT hybrid, they pretty much have to play all 11 JT songs in full. They would risk too much obvious criticism if they didn't. And they are well aware about fan expectations based on branding (remember they axed the 2 diff show on i+e because they figured they'd get too much criticism from fans that 'went to the wrong night")

So with 11 JT songs, they'll likely start the show with the same 4-5 song built up to tree..the same 80's hits, maybe IWF added, if not ASOH.

That leaves the encores to mess around with (if at all).
I think any u2 stadium show in an underplayed market will feature Bday, vertigo and elevation. (Probly One too). And i have a strong feeling that the closing song will be Love is Bigger in all its sing-along glory (the band seemed to love hearing this).. So that leaves approx a 3 song section in the encore.

These are the realistic contenders I could see for that section;

1) exact same as 2017. Keeping with the miss Sarajevo refugee message, and the Ultraviolet dedication to woman's movement.

2) i+e and e+I section. I could see them going for a political message down under, with Blackout, Get Out of Your Own Way, and maybe EBW piano (just cuz Bono likes singing it). SOL and RFD would fit a messaging, but I dont think are suited for stadiums.

3) LoveTown section. Sorry, but we aren't going to hear Hawkmoon, God Pt2, Heartland. If anything, maybe Desire, Angel, WLCTT (like the Apollo gig). But I think these, combined with all the 80's songs from the first half of show, would just be too much 80's songs in their minds.

4) Berlin suite: Zoo station , the fly, wild horses. Outsider chance of this, but maybe, just maybe, they realized how much the fans loved this, and maybe they loved playing them too.

5) Alternate AB suite..... I'm stretching here, but imagine if on 2nd nights in a city, they played Even Better, MWays, Until instead of the Berlin suite. All 3 are 'stadium' level songs, and have been played recent enough to not require a ton of rehearsing. I don't think acrobat would get a playing, but there's wishing.

Its that time of the week again ... An announcement is imminent apparently. Tomorrow (Thursday) or Friday. Guaranteed.

If this tour ever happens, then I'd bet on pretty much the exact same set list as JT 2017. Why would they bother doing anything different for so few shows in markets that care little for the 'songs of' era.

I hope this isn't the fourth U2 tour I've seen in a row where every show I attend includes Miss Sarajevo.

I'm sure a few rarities that are rehearsed, then belatedly played once or twice before being dropped entirely will get us there a lot quicker than that.

Latest from u2songs:

One radio station has run ads for The Joshua Tree 2019 which says tickets will be available through Live Nation
News.com.au has a story up and ready to run which includes a promotional video for the tour, but the video is not yet loading. The headline? “U2 will finally bring their Joshua Tree tour to Australia in November”
Triple M in Adelaide says a big tour announcement will happen in the morning at 7:30am.
Radio stations in Melbourne and Brisbane have also mentioned a big tour announcement tomorrow.
There are reports that posters for the tour have been spotted in Australia late this evening. We’re trying to get a photo for you.
Tour graphics have been shared with Australian media, and they have been asked not to post them until tomorrow am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom