Pride in the name of love Bono's greatest vocal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is a really difficult question to answer, but I would say it is one from Pride, With Or Without You, Night and Day and In A Lifetime for a non U2 song. Honourable mentions to Streets, Bad, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, Hawkmoon and A Sort of Homecoming.

Also Peterrrrr - why havent u figured out some of the notes on NLOTH - I am curiouse to see what some of the big notes are like - the last ONLY - in Magnificent and the SLEEEEEEEEEEP THE NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT - on WAS or the stuff in MOS

Here is a few:
- "Rewind" in NLOTH is an A
- "Only Love" in the end of Magnificent is an B
- Theres alot of A's in MOS
- In "Need" on Breathe he goes from a B to A
- "Oh Oh" in Fez is an A

I also wounder about these:

NLOTH
"OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh oh oh oh oh oh ho"

"The songs in your HEEEEEAD are now on my MIND

IGCIIDGCT
"It’s not a hill, it’s a MOUNTAAAAAAAAIN"

"Listen for me, I’ll be SHOUUUUUTING"
Would have been great if Bono had contnuine to hold the "shouting" note a bit more and gone one step higher. Sounds to me like he is very near the high C?

and also these:

Riot in 1:16​
YouTube - U2 - "I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (Renaka Mix)" Live @ Soldier Field; Chicago, IL

The verse
"We set ourselves on fire Oh God, do not deny her"
in 1:32​
YouTube - Moment of Surrender Final U2 360 SdF Paris

"Now we lie" in 3:05

YouTube - U2 Ultraviolet, Milano 07/07/2009 360 Tour

The second far in 2:17​
YouTube - The Unforgettable Fire - u2 live in milan san siro

Stay is a great song and Bono's vocals are superb, particularly on the chorus at the end of the song. However, when we are listing the best ever vocals Bono had recorded and are considering the song as a whole, songs like Pride demonstrate this more, overall.

I've always loved The Bono's delivery on the studio version of Running To Stand Still. That would probably be my vote. Pride is a great one, though.

Yeah, "Pride" is pretty hard to beat. The passion in his voice is just incredible. Some other favourites of mine in terms of Bono's singing are:

Springhill Mining Disaster - passion by the bucket load (even if they do kind of mess up the end of the song a little!)

YouTube - Rare U2 Springhill Mining Disaster Live From Dublin

Miss Sarajevo - can't believe he even tried to do the Pavorotti tenor part, let alone nail it. Incredible for a rock singer

YouTube - U2 Miss Sarajevo LIVE Milan

North And South Of The River - understated yet very powerful

YouTube - U2 - North and South of the River

I Can't Help Falling In Love - incredible falsetto

YouTube - U2 : I Can't Help Falling In Love - Live Sydney '93 [Widescreen]

A Sort of Homecoming (Live)

YouTube - U2 - A Sort Of Homecoming (Live Version) from the Wide Awake In America E.P

The Ground Beneath Her Feet (acoustic)

YouTube - U2 - The Ground Beneath Her Feet (acoustic)

Yeah, "Pride" is pretty hard to beat. The passion in his voice is just incredible. Some other favourites of mine in terms of Bono's singing are:

Springhill Mining Disaster - passion by the bucket load (even if they do kind of mess up the end of the song a little!)

YouTube - Rare U2 Springhill Mining Disaster Live From Dublin

Miss Sarajevo - can't believe he even tried to do the Pavorotti tenor part, let alone nail it. Incredible for a rock singer

North And South Of The River - understated yet very powerful

YouTube - U2 - North and South of the River

A Sort of Homecoming (Live)

YouTube - U2 - A Sort Of Homecoming (Live Version) from the Wide Awake In America E.P

The Ground Beneath Her Feet (acoustic)

YouTube - U2 - The Ground Beneath Her Feet (acoustic)

:up:

:wave: bonocomet

:wave: EarlOI :D

Both incredible. Agreed on Miss Sarajevo. And that falsetto ... :drool:

God, that Unchained Melody cover is so beautiful.

Yes.

I don't know that Pride is necessarily on top, but I do know this:

Pride and LITERALLY EVERY PERFORMANCE that was brought up in this thread put together make up the definitive top Bono vocal list, in my opinion. I agree wholeheartedly with all performances mentioned, great work everyone!

My favorites:
Running to Stand Still
Can't Help Falling
Unchained Melody Cover
Stay(studio and Union Chapel)
Miss Sarajevo
Ultraviolet

But Red Hill Mining Town is really where his vocals go through the roof. The reason why u2 decided not to play this live or make it a single was because the vocals that Bono would have to do night in and night out would kill his voice.

Yeah that was a great vocal. The Unforgettable Fire period had some great live performances for Bono.

YouTube - Pride (live from Dortmund 1984)

YouTube - Gloria (live from Dortmund 1984)

YouTube - U2 BAD Live Aid 1985

Newer videos:

YouTube - U2 - No Line On The Horizon Live in Dublin [HD - High Quality]

YouTube - U2 Breathe 2009 02 23 Canal+ France

It's not one of my favourite U2 songs, but I always felt that the vocals on 'Angel Of Harlem' were amazing

They made a classic swingy song to a dark song, I love the sounds in that version but also the vocals are amazing.

I've said this before, but that wasn't the first "dark" interpretation of Night and Day. Sinatra did a far more emotional version on Sinatra and Strings in 1962, and I'm sure that wasn't the first example. Besides, mopey music was a thing in the early 90's, it's not exactly rocket surgery to take a standard and bleak it up a bit. And Bono's singing in it is barely that at all. It just doesn't compare to other versions.

Although yet, as far as U2 covers go, it could be worse.

Back
Top Bottom