Please answer the following question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Is U2 your favourite artist of all time?

Who is your favourite artist of the past 10 - 15 years?

I was thinking about this the other day... having noticed that the love for U2 in here is almost unconditional and we have a number of posters who listen almost exclusively to U2, it got me thinking. U2 are definitely my favourite band ever, i can't see that ever changing, but thinking about their output over the past 10 - 15 years (which is generally seen as their worst) they wouldn't top my list.

Radiohead and Outkast are my favourite artists from the past 10 - 15 years.

I just wanted to see whether a perceived drop off in quality of music and the very high quality of some other music released in this time has had an affect on how much you love U2.

nope, i don't think they've ever been. they came close in 97/98 but never got the top spot. but i will say their 2000s output (bar nloth) definitely did knock them down a couple notches on my favourite bands list.

duran duran (who has been my favourite band for 14 years). they get a bad rap but i love them.

yes. And they have been since I started listening to them back in '87.

There are other artists I listen to - the difference is that no other music speaks to me the way U2's music does.

PJ Harvey is my favourite artist of all time, bar none. But U2 are definitely up there in the second place - I don't love everything they've done but what I do love affects me like no other band's music does. As for their output in the last 10 years, I became a fan with ATYCLB and it's still my favourite U2 album, and I like both HTDAAB and NLOTH.

I've probably been listening to them more than ever at this point, but I don't think they've ranked higher than #3 for me. It's still a huge position though, considering all the different music I listen to! Favorite band of the past 10-15 years would probably be Foo Fighters. They put up the best live show I've ever seen in my life and the music is pretty good too.

duran duran (who has been my favourite band for 14 years). they get a bad rap but i love them.

As do I. :)

U2 are my favorite band, and NLOTH makes their work of the past ten years my favorite.

Of course they are. There is a reason why I go here so often and feed off every scrap of news/rumours we get and look up the setlists and just hang around this goddamn place (for all the colourful characters and the conspiracy theories and whatnot.).

I love plenty of other bands but I don't get the urge to talk about them on their respective fan forums as I do with U2.

So yeah.

We do really get these sort of threads every few months, I've noticed.

U2 has always been my favourite band of all time since 89!

The Cure come close behind U2, but the real "fever" I get comes from U2 only :hyper:

Soundgarden and Muse come 3rd and 4th

U2 up to and including Pop is without a doubt my favourite band, of all time – on record, live, what they were representing and trying to achieve (and achieving) – I mean really, no other band comes close to U2 in terms of pushing themselves forward, chasing ‘new’ etc. You can’t name another band that shifts as dramatically as they do, from Boy to Pop and everything in between, and pulls it all off so spectacularly, in such an all encompassing package. You couldn’t take any other band and make, say, a fifteen track compilation, and have the ability to create one as wildly diverse as one you could make via U2’s catalogue over that period. At least not any act even 1/10th of U2’s size. That alone is where I would begin any argument defending U2, at least in saying that even if you don’t particularly like them, you absolutely have to respect them. Especially considering their size. Many bands make maybe one or two decent shifts in their lifetimes, but not one every 2-3 albums (or, in reality with U2, less - we tend to lump trios of albums together that are really all each wildly different). Most bands stick with one sound, one style. Even the amazingly talented, creatively imaginative, utterly brilliant Radiohead have not taken anywhere near the same level of massive twists and turns as U2. I would even include ATYCLB as a legit part of that – Bono’s argument for it at the time was bang on - it only retroactively slides due to what came later (and its general lack of overall comparative end-to-end quality). The cynic in me only turns its attention to ATYCLB because of what came later. Anyway...

In the 10-12 years since, no, I don’t really think that much of them. They’re not *that* band anymore. And as a generally touchy-defensive U2 fan, I wouldn’t even try and defend their past decade either. If U2 ever comes up in a conversation, and someone trashes them, if it’s along the lines of “Not what they used to be” then I can only agree, with the only caveat being that if you are a disillusioned ex-U2 fan, and are basing that purely on what they’ve released as singles, it is on two of those three albums worth digging deeper, because there is still quality there (HTDAAB is, IMO, their only end to end rubbish album – the only one where I’d say don’t even bother). But if someone says “U2 are and always have been complete rubbish” or I suspect they are basing their entire judgement of U2 simply on their output, positioning and image today, then they’ll still get an earful from me.

But no, I don’t think they can hold a candle to the best of the past decade. Not even close. I don’t have a singular favourite from this decade, but that mostly is because there is so much brilliant stuff around now. And despite everything, I do still hold out hope for them. I don’t think it’s because they’ve had the talent or creative imagination zapped from them – plenty of evidence to the contrary, even if it’s likely been tamed along the way. I think it’s just that the world they lived in shifted so significantly around and just after ATYCLB, and they either don’t quite understand how it has shifted so keep pushing at it in the only old-school way they know how, or they do and they have figured that bands/artists can’t have a foot in both camps anymore, and they’ve deliberately decided to throw their lot in entirely with one side of it. But I’m not sure. They do seem a bit naïve about it? Like what they – or Bono at least - sensed so correctly with ATYCLB, still informs their decision making now, and ever since? They don’t get it? So maybe there will be a point where they realise, and thus have jack of it, and decide to just deal with it, even if it means a loss of size. Or maybe they’re not naïve, and the cynical side of me is right, and size trumps all. Not sure. Until I get super drunk with Bono and he talks some honest shit with me, I suppose I’ll never know. So, I suppose I’ll never know.

U2 1978-1998 = Unbeatable All Time Favourite. Boy, October, War, Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree, Rattle & Hum, Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Passengers, Pop. This is no ordinary catalogue. And there is no 'classic' U2 or 'experimental' U2. All is both.

U2 1998-2010 = In a decade that has been really brilliant for music, they have been safe and conservative in their output, old fashioned and traditional in their outlook. Isolated (ie imagine U2 debuting in 2000 with ATYCLB), they likely wouldn’t have even appeared on my radar. That would have been a shame, because there are of course gems in there, but what would have been presented to me as a casual listener I could confidently say would not been creative enough, original enough, simply brilliant enough to have attracted my attention or interest, let alone adoration. Beautiful Day is a song I probably would have liked, Stuck in a Moment - I am definitely not one of the haters - but on it's own, no. Elevation, hell no. There's no way I would have engaged with Vertigo/Sometimes/ABOY/COBL etc. No way I would have engaged with Boots/Crazy Tonight/Magnificent. If those were my windows to U2, I wouldn't think much of them. No sale.

U2 are my favourite band of all time, by a long way. However do I think they are the best band of all time? No.

They're definitely my favourite, but I go through periods of time (like right now), where I barely listen to their music, and actually prefer to listen to other bands/artists more.

U2 has such a varied and long career but no matter what they pour real emotion and topicality into their music like no other popular act. While I can appreciate the poetry of other lyricists, the compositions of other bands, the timbre of other singers, no other combinations of these elements resonate with me the way U2 does. As people, as lifelong friends they're inspiring as well, and while you could say they're in it for the money the truth is they only come around and tour when they have music they're proud of instead of resting on 30 years of laurels.

Yes, in spite of the fact that my musical interests run the gamut from classical instrumental, to experimental jazz, alternative hip hop, country, a variety of world and folk music, electronic music, and so many others, U2 is my favorite band of all time, bar none.

It's difficult for me to choose between U2 and Genesis. But for now it's U2. I love other musicians/bands, but mostly I know only the surname of a lead singer...
In my life I had three eras of fascination of bands.
First: The Rasmus (2003)
Second: Genesis less since 2003, more 2008-2010
Third: U2 (since July of this year).

Yes, they're my favorite of all time.

In the 90s, U2 and REM alternated for my top spot, but by the end of the decade, U2 had pulled into a lengthy lead.

I listen to many other artists and love many other artists, but U2 is kind of on its own level for me. They're just there at the top, and then there's everybody else.

Probably second or third; I would say no band still performing and writing new material today has a discography that can match theirs, although a couple defunct groups probably could (Beatles, Zeppelin).

U2 is my favorite band of all time. I love their music, but more than that, they are by far my favorite live act. There is something magical about U2's live shows for me. As for their musical output the last 10 years, I love NLOTH and ATYCLB and really like Bomb, so just taking those into consideration still my fave band.

Right now my number 2 would be Muse, again their live show is great. Followed by No Doubt and Incubus.

They're definitely my favourite, but I go through periods of time (like right now), where I barely listen to their music, and actually prefer to listen to other bands/artists more.

:up:

Listening to other bands/artists is good and healthy.

As for me, I've been generally disappointed with their direction in the 2000s, but that hasn't stopped me from going to their concerts. I love their shows. But my interest in them has waned considerably.

They will always be my sentimental favourite band of all-time, but I'd have to say that over the last five years my musical palate has expanded by leaps and bands.

My favourite band of the last 5 years has been Arcade Fire.

You couldn’t take any other band and make, say, a fifteen track compilation, and have the ability to create one as wildly diverse as one you could make via U2’s catalogue over that period.

I would argue that The Beatles' White Album -- never mind their career output of only 7 years' recording -- shows more diversity in itself than U2's entire catalogue (when lack of digital technology is taken into account).

I do agree that U2 have chased down new sounds, and that's both good and bad. There's a way of playing diverse music that comes from the music itself, and then there's a way of playing different-sounding music that comes from technology and hiring big-name producers. U2 have often fallen on both sides of this fence. The older one gets, the less one is inclined to appreciate their endless attempts to remain relevant in the commercial sphere; on the other hand, I do applaud them for trying to stay contemporary. I just think they over-do this at this point in time, at their age.

U2 up to and including Pop is without a doubt my favourite band, of all time – on record, live, what they were representing and trying to achieve (and achieving) – I mean really, no other band comes close to U2 in terms of pushing themselves forward, chasing ‘new’ etc. You can’t name another band that shifts as dramatically as they do, from Boy to Pop and everything in between, and pulls it all off so spectacularly, in such an all encompassing package. You couldn’t take any other band and make, say, a fifteen track compilation, and have the ability to create one as wildly diverse as one you could make via U2’s catalogue over that period. At least not any act even 1/10th of U2’s size. That alone is where I would begin any argument defending U2, at least in saying that even if you don’t particularly like them, you absolutely have to respect them. Especially considering their size. Many bands make maybe one or two decent shifts in their lifetimes, but not one every 2-3 albums (or, in reality with U2, less - we tend to lump trios of albums together that are really all each wildly different). Most bands stick with one sound, one style. Even the amazingly talented, creatively imaginative, utterly brilliant Radiohead have not taken anywhere near the same level of massive twists and turns as U2. I would even include ATYCLB as a legit part of that – Bono’s argument for it at the time was bang on - it only retroactively slides due to what came later (and its general lack of overall comparative end-to-end quality). The cynic in me only turns its attention to ATYCLB because of what came later. Anyway...

In the 10-12 years since, no, I don’t really think that much of them. They’re not *that* band anymore. And as a generally touchy-defensive U2 fan, I wouldn’t even try and defend their past decade either. If U2 ever comes up in a conversation, and someone trashes them, if it’s along the lines of “Not what they used to be” then I can only agree, with the only caveat being that if you are a disillusioned ex-U2 fan, and are basing that purely on what they’ve released as singles, it is on two of those three albums worth digging deeper, because there is still quality there (HTDAAB is, IMO, their only end to end rubbish album – the only one where I’d say don’t even bother). But if someone says “U2 are and always have been complete rubbish” or I suspect they are basing their entire judgement of U2 simply on their output, positioning and image today, then they’ll still get an earful from me.

But no, I don’t think they can hold a candle to the best of the past decade. Not even close. I don’t have a singular favourite from this decade, but that mostly is because there is so much brilliant stuff around now. And despite everything, I do still hold out hope for them. I don’t think it’s because they’ve had the talent or creative imagination zapped from them – plenty of evidence to the contrary, even if it’s likely been tamed along the way. I think it’s just that the world they lived in shifted so significantly around and just after ATYCLB, and they either don’t quite understand how it has shifted so keep pushing at it in the only old-school way they know how, or they do and they have figured that bands/artists can’t have a foot in both camps anymore, and they’ve deliberately decided to throw their lot in entirely with one side of it. But I’m not sure. They do seem a bit naïve about it? Like what they – or Bono at least - sensed so correctly with ATYCLB, still informs their decision making now, and ever since? They don’t get it? So maybe there will be a point where they realise, and thus have jack of it, and decide to just deal with it, even if it means a loss of size. Or maybe they’re not naïve, and the cynical side of me is right, and size trumps all. Not sure. Until I get super drunk with Bono and he talks some honest shit with me, I suppose I’ll never know. So, I suppose I’ll never know.

U2 1978-1998 = Unbeatable All Time Favourite. Boy, October, War, Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree, Rattle & Hum, Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Passengers, Pop. This is no ordinary catalogue. And there is no 'classic' U2 or 'experimental' U2. All is both.

U2 1998-2010 = In a decade that has been really brilliant for music, they have been safe and conservative in their output, old fashioned and traditional in their outlook. Isolated (ie imagine U2 debuting in 2000 with ATYCLB), they likely wouldn’t have even appeared on my radar. That would have been a shame, because there are of course gems in there, but what would have been presented to me as a casual listener I could confidently say would not been creative enough, original enough, simply brilliant enough to have attracted my attention or interest, let alone adoration. Beautiful Day is a song I probably would have liked, Stuck in a Moment - I am definitely not one of the haters - but on it's own, no. Elevation, hell no. There's no way I would have engaged with Vertigo/Sometimes/ABOY/COBL etc. No way I would have engaged with Boots/Crazy Tonight/Magnificent. If those were my windows to U2, I wouldn't think much of them. No sale.

Great post.

Just to add to my earlier point, I feel that between 1985-1993 U2 had the potential to become the greatest band of all time, they recorded two of the best albums ever made by anybody AB and TJT and the inredible UF. If they could have somehow pushed on to record something equally great next then in my opinion they could have challenged The Beatles as the undisputed greatest band of all time. As it stands they're still my favourite band of all time by a long long way.

I go through "off" periods like this, too. I was on one after seeing the shows last fall - but then as soon as the US dates were postponed, I hit a pretty big "on" period that's finally starting to peter out.

It's like I didn't care until I found out I couldn't see them for another year! Ha.

I never have a stretch where I listen only to U2, though. There are always other albums and artists in the mix, even during my "on" periods.

No. But to me, it's not about ranking artists. The more important question would be if U2 hit a certain spot that nobody else touches, and then of course the answer is 'yes'.

Who is your favourite artist of the past 10 - 15 years?

I don't really know, as I stopped following contemporary music closely after about the year 2000. But certainly U2 are past their peak in that era. Some artists that I think have made great music post-grunge would be P.J. Harvey, Bjork, Radiohead, Belle & Sebastian... maybe some others that aren't white and British. :sexywink: Some would say that Damon Albarn has made a lot of good music since then, though it's not really to my taste. Pearl Jam are good, as far as 'rock' goes.

I just wanted to see whether a perceived drop off in quality of music and the very high quality of some other music released in this time has had an affect on how much you love U2.

I don't think my perception of U2 has anything remotely to do with other artists. Some younger fans seem to think U2's peers are Radiohead and Coldplay, but I think U2's peers are Simple Minds and The Teardrop Explodes. In other words, I think U2 outgrew their peers (left them behind in the dust, more like) in about 1987, and they haven't had peers since. I couldn't care less what contemporary artists are doing in terms of how I think of U2.

U2's peak was clearly 1984-ish to 1993 --- they'll never be as vital again as they were then, but they can still make good music. I just wish they wouldn't care so much about being contemporary. It's really not important.

"U2's peak was clearly 1984-ish to 1993 --- they'll never be as vital again as they were then, but they can still make good music. I just wish they wouldn't care so much about being contemporary. It's really not important."

Couldn't have put it better myself 65980.

They are my one & only #1. No one has ever knocked them out of position once they took that place with me. I don't love everything they've done but I don't think I should, either.

I'm crazy about a lot of other other acts - Muse, Social Distortion, (with particular focus on those two!), Florence + The Machine, The Cult, Duran Duran, Cage the Elephant, etc. - so when the day comes that U2 no longer exist, I'll find another band to be my current fave, but I don't think anyone will ever fill the place in my heart that is U2's home.

They'll probably always be my favourite band of all time. It's just a combination of everything: most importantly the music of course. It also helps that it's the band that got me 'into' music. For me their best period was 1984-1997 but I still rank ATYCLB and NLOTH highly, HTDAAB not so much.

If I only look at their music of the past decade then they're not my favourite band. That would probably be Radiohead or Sigur Rós but for me, especially after NLOTH, they're still up there with the best and I believe they can still make a great album (NLOTH is almost there) if they wouldn't care too much about being 'big'.

Back
Top Bottom