Playing devil's advocate on an album that I love - Pop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMirrorSky

War Child
I don't mean to flood this forum with new threads or anything but I just had to get this out.

Was listening to Pop after a long time and I realized that some of it hasn't held up all that well.

1. If God Will Send His Angels is such a let down after the enjoyable opening trio! It's not that it's a bad song. The production is really terrible. And the pacing can get downright boring, depending on my mood at the time of listening. (I skipped the track during yesterday's listen. lol.) I don't have any problem with the lyrics though. They are quite good. Just wish that it could be musically interesting too.

2. Please album version is really quite dreary and awful! Can't believe I'm saying this actually, about a track that is so stellar live. The Popmart live version is infinitely better than this one! On the album, it almost sounds like a leaked demo or trial version. Again, I have no problem with the lyrics here. They are some of my all-time favourites from U2!

Those were the Top 2 that stood out in my mind. And I thought... wow, for an album that I have adored so much over the years, it does have its minus points after all. :reject: :wink:

So...you started a thread about Pop just to crap on my two favorite songs on Pop.

Alright. I got your number, LemonMirrorSky...I'm watching you.

1. I love If God Will. I know many people over here think it's terrible, but I love it. Great atmospheric song after three killer uptempo songs (especially Do You Feel Loved and Mofo).

2. Please live is > Please album obviously. Live it's one of the best things they've ever done, while the album version sounds messy and unfinished. But still better than almost anything on their next two albums.

The production is what makes it just a bit better than a boring ballad. The bass is pretty heavy, there's that bit where an aeroplane flies over the top of the song... it's an okay little tune, but yeah, Mofo > IGWSHA is probably one of the worst ideas of all time.

So...you started a thread about Pop just to crap on my two favorite songs on Pop.

Alright. I got your number, LemonMirrorSky...I'm watching you.

:lol: I actually didn't plan to "crap on" anything related to Pop, because I have always loved it almost as much as Achtung Baby! But yesterday it hit me that maybe just maybe.. I've been overrating it myself a tad. lol.

I still love the album to bits though. :p

But still better than almost anything on their next two albums.

Oh that I think I agree with. :up:

In what way? I find it fascinating, if overly busy.

Hmm... it's just murky. One has to really turn the volume up after Mofo.

It's, without remorse, one of my least favorite U2 albums, but it's still got a great deal of great moments.

Something has to come in last (It's not this, that's Rattle and Hum)

It's worse than So Cruel > The Fly, somehow.

I was listening to cassettes when Achtung Baby was out and this made perfect sense. So Cruel ended side A, The Fly exploded on side B.

When on CD, this decision seems more dubious, yes.

THE MYTH OF POP BEING UNDERPRODUCED

as told by LemonMelon

adam: Holy fuck dude I ate so many exotic shellfish last night.

bono: I nailed a shellfish last night.

adam: I fucking love Miami, let's never leave.

bono: No matter how much I bathe I never stop smelling like cigars omg this is great

larry: Hey you hippie fucks we have an album to finish! Put some clothes on!

bono: Album?

adam: We finished that yesterday!

larry: Why wasn't I informed?

bono: I don't remember what the fuck happened I went into the booth and started screaming and I guess it's the chorus to one of the songs now.

adam: We replaced you with a machine, Larry. It's better.

larry: Well, if we're done, I guess we have to go home.

bono: Holy fuck no I don't want to go back there I'm just starting to cover the boiled potato smell with my beloved cigars

edge: I agree, if only because I am naturally acquiesce.

adam: We need to come up with some bullshit and lies. What say you, Bono?

bono: Well, OK, how about...the album isn't...finished? Yeah, that sounds good.

edge: "Underproduced?"

bono: Always a great writing partner.

larry: But I already have four drum tracks on Mofo, panned in every direction.

adam: Who told you that?

bono: But...but Edge only has 30 different guitar tones on Staring at the Sun. Why can't every note sound like a different guitar? I NEED COCAINE

edge: Why is the ground shaking?

112756-151788-jabba-the-hutt_icon.jpg
: Hey boys, excited about the tour?

adam: What...what tour, Paul?

: The tour you booked the entirety of last night. All 300 dates.

adam: That wasn't a sex hotline? FUCK

bono: Well, damn. I guess we'll just have to come back another time...maybe we can still use the lie, years down the line. We can, "remix" the album.

: AND SELL IT FOR MONEY

THE END

It's worse than So Cruel > The Fly, somehow.

I guess if you have a vinyl copy you flip it over between the two and blah blah /Laz

That one has never bothered me at all. So Cruel is pretty epic, and by the time it comes to the end there's a lot going on, the pace has picked up. Bono goes "sweetheart... you're so crueeeel..." and then there's a fair pause, and then that guitar comes in. After six minutes of So Cruel I'm ready for it.

Plus there's also EBTTRT > One > UTEOTW as well.

Mofo and IGWSHA are completely different tracks. You do actually have to turn it up to hear IGWSHA and it totally kills the momentum. Whereas The Fly gives it a jolt.

I was listening to cassettes when Achtung Baby was out and this made perfect sense. So Cruel ended side A, The Fly exploded on side B.

Absolutely!! I too had the Achtung cassette for the longest time! lol.

bono: I don't remember what the fuck happened I went into the booth and started screaming and I guess it's the chorus to one of the songs now.

:lol:! Good job, LemonMelon.

edge: Why is the ground shaking?

lol. Nice touch.

Mofo and IGWSHA are completely different tracks. You do actually have to turn it up to hear IGWSHA and it totally kills the momentum. Whereas The Fly gives it a jolt.

Exactly! I'm 100% with you on the momentum killing part.

:lol: LemonMelon- nicely done!

And LemonMirrorSky- no need to apologize for starting some new threads- aside from the recent Bono and Larry interviews and the song survivor, EYKIW has been dead for some time. A little fresh discussion is welcomed!

As for my thoughts, I love IGWSHA, but yea, MOFO>IGWSHA is awkward. And you're right, Please does sound underproduced, but that's part of the appeal to me. It has such a unique sound. But of course, live Please is way better, no question.

MOFO is the best track on POP and If God ... is the worst song they have ever written, contested only by Playboy Mansion. That's my main problem with these 2 songs following eachother. Other than that, while I think the middle 3 on No Line ... is a necessary part of the album, Staring at the sun, Gone and Last night ... feels like an immense cop out to me.

Back
Top Bottom