Ordinary Love Discussion (Part 2)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's interesting, and I think there may be some truth to this, I'd need to give it more thought, it's certainly worth considering. However, if Bono's lyrics are more "awkward" because he's writing more personal stuff...well, that's on him as an artist. To the extent writing about personal stuff makes his lyrics suffer (and again I'm not sure if I agree), he needs find a way to express himself better if he want's to write about those things.

Now this presupposes that 1) his writing has suffered in the 00's and; 2) your premise that this is a result of his writing more about personal stuff is correct. I'm not entirely convinced of either...he's written some great stuff in the 00's, both personal and the more anthem/traditional U2 stuff. And he's written some crap stuff of both types as well. I'm not sure there's really a connection between the subject matter and the quality of the lyric. I'm not saying you're wrong, it's as good a theory as any, I'm just not sure. It's hard for me to get a handle on whether his lyrics just aren't as good anymore, or that the songs in general aren't as strong so we're noticing the weakness of the individual parts more.

As an aside, I'd point out that some of his most criticised lyrics from the 00's come from NLOTH, in which he supposedly was writing in the 3rd person, and not necessarily from his own POV. So there's that.

We do know that some writing on ATYCLB suffered because of Bono's charity work. The lack of time certainly plays a role.

Since that charity work hasn't really slowed down and since he is a busy father of four, it is possible this lack of time continues to take a toll.

But I really think it was a conscious effort to stray away from the more abstract writing, which is very poetic but non-specific.

I will agree that if Bono's new style or topics are one reason for a few awkward moments, then it is up to Bono to write better. That said, I recall reading the review for "Unforgettable Fire". Bono was torn apart of the "lazy writing" for songs like "Pride". So it really is subjective.

:sigh: May he rest in peace. A true hero.

I fully agree.

While his passing was far more expected, it still is quite sad. I am happy that U2 were able to contribute to this movie at this time. And with Mandela's passing, it seems "Ordinary Love" is just that much more powerful today.

I hope both Mandela and Paul Walker find great joy in the next life. Mandela was well known for his trials and tribulations. He changed a nation. In contrast, I always viewed Walker as a very lucky man who struck it big because of his looks. But upon his passing, the public learned quite a bit about the extraordinary generosity of Walker. And for that, my entire view of him has changed. The world has truly lost two great souls.

It's sad and a little eerie at the same time how relevant the song suddenly has become.

Beautiful piece of writing by Bono in TIME magazine, his very personal and detailed vision of the man is very touching to read.

RIP Nelson Mandela, what a sad day for the world. :sad:

It's sad and a little eerie at the same time how relevant the song suddenly has become.

Yes. If only there was something in the song that told you it was about Nelson Mandela.

Beautiful piece of writing by Bono in TIME magazine, his very personal and detailed vision of the man is very touching to read.

Agree completely. I was really moved reading his piece. Bono can be quite eloquent when he writes on a subject he's passionate, and knowledgeable, about, and he just may be a better writer than lyricist these days. Interesting that, of all people, Bono's prose about Mandela was more powerful than the song he wrote.

Yeah the timing is interesting. Perhaps it would be a nice gesture of U2 to release the song commercially and have the proceeds to go one of Mandela's favourite charities?

I stream a fantastic Dallas radio station, and the DJ just announced that she will be playing Ordinary Love shortly. I'm guessing that the timing is not a coincidence.

U2 to enter Christmas Number 1 race with Nelson Mandela soundtrack son
Ordinary Love, from the soundtrack to Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom, sees overnight sales boost as fans pay tribute to late president of South Africa.

Following the death of Nelson Mandela yesterday evening (Thursday, December 5) U2’s new single, Ordinary Love, has emerged as a contender for this year’s Christmas Number 1 as the British record buying public pay tribute to the late president of South Africa.

According to today’s Official Charts Company sales data, Ordinary Love is on course to enter the Official Singles Chart Top 75 this weekend. It is currently at Number 89 on today’s sales flash, and just over 3,000 copies away from a Top 40 placing.

It seems like this happens often with biopics of aging heroes. Johnny Cash died when Walk the Line was in post production and Ray Charles died when Ray was still in the theaters, if memory serves.

That will be bittersweet, if the song becomes a hit specifically because of the timing of Mandela's death.

How can it be heading to number one when there's no single to buy? It could only chart by the recordstore day vinyl and radioplay, right? :hmm:

I feel like there's a fuller version out there, somewhere. With an Edge solo somewhere around the 2:56 mark (you can almost hear it start up in the current version). The song is already great, but that would take it a step further.

I feel like there's a fuller version out there, somewhere. With an Edge solo somewhere around the 2:56 mark (you can almost hear it start up in the current version). The song is already great, but that would take it a step further.

I agree. The version on the single just screams "radio edit." There has to be a longer version somewhere.

And I don't know about a Christmas #1, but as I was processing this sad news yesterday I did think that this will bring both the movie and the song way more attention than they would have gotten otherwise.

How can it be heading to number one when there's no single to buy? It could only chart by the recordstore day vinyl and radioplay, right? :hmm:

it's available on itunes as an individual track right now

I stream a fantastic Dallas radio station, and the DJ just announced that she will be playing Ordinary Love shortly. I'm guessing that the timing is not a coincidence.

I heard Ordinary Love yesterday evening on a local indie station shortly after the sad news was announced, and wondered the same thing- if they would have played it at all if Mandela hadn't died.

Back
Top Bottom