October versus 2000's era U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

financeguy

ONE love, blood, life
I find it funny that most people here when asked their least favourite U2 album will say 'October' and then sometimes mention ATYCLB or HTDAAB as an afterthought.

It's as though people don't want to admit to not liking the more recent albums. October would not be my favourite U2 album, but I find it much easier to listen to than most of the recent stuff.

A quarter century later, it sounds fresh and clear and new, whereas I find it actively painful to listen to some songs on ATYCLB. HTDAAB is slightly better.

October has complete clarity of purpose. No out of place notes, good sonics without the overproduction that has disfigured some of their recent work. There is no calculation or cynicism, it is the sound of U2 in 1981. It is perhaps a trifle naif as a work of art, but that's not a bad thing, right?

October > ATYCLB, HTDAAB. In my humble opinion. There is such an urgency in sound and voice in October. It is a forgotten gem and is hated on without good enough reason.

I'll take October in a heartbeat over ATYCLB and HTDAAB. I rank October as U2's fifth best album, while ATYCLB and HTDAAB are right at the bottom of my rankings. That said, I place NLOTH pretty much on a par with October at this stage. October's just a great album and it's a shame it's so under-rated; the sound is passionate and sometimes anthemic, it's honest, it's a bit lacking in focus but that just adds to the charm in my view, and god, Gloria, Rejoice, and Tomorrow are exceptional songs in particular. U2 haven't made a song better than Gloria this decade, that's for sure.

:sick: :sick:

All That You Can't Leave Behind and How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. NO DOUBT ABOUT IT :sick:
I can't stand October. It doesn't have a order... I don't know, is so confuse... :huh::huh::huh::reject:

yes, i will agree that altyclb and htdaab were a bit more formulated than october and lacked the passion. October was raw, straightforward, and honest.

That said, in terms of songs that I listen to more often and enjoy more, newer U2 is more my ally at the moment.

October's just a great album and it's a shame it's so under-rated; the sound is passionate and sometimes anthemic, it's honest, it's a bit lacking in focus but that just adds to the charm in my view, and god, Gloria, Rejoice, and Tomorrow are exceptional songs in particular. U2 haven't made a song better than Gloria this decade, that's for sure.

Completely agree about Tomorrow in particular.

October is, IMO, the worst album in U2's catalogue. I love the Gloria/I Fall Down/I Threw A Brick...after that, pretty unlistenable except a few parts.

ATYCLB is a masterpiece, and HTDAAB is a collection of great songs...both light years ahead of October.

I can't stand Vertigo. But... Come on, Miracle Drug, One Step Closer, Crumbs from Your Table, Love and Peace, City of Blinding Lights... :love::love::love:
I really hatee October. the only album I can't stand. sorry guys :|:|

Well, to me a collection of well-crafted, beautiful songs (HTDAAB, subjective folks) is a lot better than a semi-coherent, and far from being well done album like October.

October is one of U2's greatest works of accidental genius. For thematic consistency and complexity, I'd say it is the best or second best of the 80s. That's a major part of the album for me... unfortunately, though, when you look at the details, the album kinda falls apart. ATYCLB and Bomb have individual songs that are, generally, better than those of October, though, IMO (although they, especially the former, have plenty of duds to go around).

Bomb is a band trying to relive its days of simplicity, but aborting the process when they realize that they're smarter and better than they were in the Boy days, and producing something that can't really be classified as either, so just comes off as bombastic bullshit. Although there is plenty I do like about it.

Regardless, all of these albums are better than R&H, IMO (which is a shame, because R&H could have been amazing if they had developed off of the studio stuff and left off the live stuff... although R&H's perceived failure paved the way for AB, so I shouldn't complain). And they're far, far worse than NLOTH.

there should be a poll

I much prefer both 00's albums. October is cool but it's U2's weakest album besides R&H.

I absolutely love October, the only song I was never crazy about was With A Shout, but after hearing the other version on the October special edition I've fallen in love with that too. It is better than HTDAAB and probably ATYCLB too, pretty much for the same reasons Finance Guy and Axver already mentioned.

ATYCLB and Bomb are average, in the middle of U2 album rankings.

October is usually at the bottom in the rankings.

the band is much better at what they do know and have a better idea about what's going on. Think Edge could have pulled off the little mini-solo in "When I Look at the World" back in the October days. The guitar especially is much crisper, cleaner, and better sounding now. The production is so much better and the band has improved as well and they still have the passion (SYCMIOYO, Kite, etc) that they did back then.

I mean, Beautiful Day is a song that fits together so well lyrically and musically that it on its own has had more impact than October.

I think October is sooo much better than ATYCLB or HTDAAB.
The songs flow together perfectly.

October:drool:
October Remaster:drool::drool:

Folks any of you who have doubts about October should really listen to the remaster , perhaps the best of the remasters so far?
The sound is just amazing on that one.

Cheers ,

Mauwer

p.s. About the remasters , can`t wait for TUF remaster:drool:

October commands a very special place in my affections....maybe more so than ANY other u2 album. Thats not to say it is my favorite album.....but it played a key part in some fond memories i have of my early teens.:drool:

I mean, Beautiful Day is a song that fits together so well lyrically and musically that it on its own has had more impact than October.

Definitely. Gloria and Rejoice (very underrated song imo) are both in my top 50, but BD is in the top 10. Classic.

I'm a bit surprised at all the October love, but then again I shouldn't be with how much this forum hates the 00's. For me ATYCLB is about equal with UF and Zooropa, HTDAAB is under those, and October is better than R&H and Passengers. I give it 7/10, Bomb 8/10, and ATYCLB 9/10. I'm very generous with my U2 album ratings :wink:

I'm also surprised how much Is That All? was mentioned in the weakest songs thread :huh: I mean, it's not great, but it doesn't suck. I prefer it to Scarlet and I Threw A Brick.

Back
Top Bottom