No Line On The Horizon: the most underrated album? - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2017, 06:43 PM   #121
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
agreed it's not the only, but it's the major criteria -- there's little daylight between what happens on the album and what happens live. i would imagine they at least tried to make some of those songs work live, possibly out of the need for variety and pacing in a 2+ hour setlist. Fez probably not since it's so clearly an album interlude, but i can see them having attempted SLAB and COL. they tried OSC for i/e.
Why in god's name would they have even considered a live version of SLAB? It's all atmospherics and a particular sound. And unlike Velvet Dress (its closest cousin), it's not sexy and can't even be used in that "slow dance" way in a concert--it's the opposite of sexy, considering it's about a child molester.

lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:54 PM   #122
Refugee

Local Time: 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Ehh, I'm not sure that's the band's only criteria for success is how it's received live or if it turns into a hit. They knew very well Fez--Being Born, Cedars of Lebanon, Sleep Like A Baby would be neither. None of them have catchy choruses or were ever going to be singles or make it to a live set. So it's clear they are still interested in doing something purely for reasons of artistic expression if it feels right.
They apply their success criteria to entire albums and then sadly when an album falls short in their eyes virtually ALL the songs on it, even good ones like those you mention, get lost forever.

AndrewCowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:06 AM   #123
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:03 PM
When did trying to include certain songs that were radio friendly become a new and frowned upon phenomena? Bands have been doing it forever. There's a reason why Pride is on Unforgettable Fire. What, you think The Beatles included A Little Help From My Friends on Sgt Peppers for the song's artistic merit?

U2's problem on No Line is two fold - a) many tracks are over thought and over cooked, and b) the songs that are supposed to be the radio friendly ones pretty much all suck.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:08 AM   #124
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
When did trying to include certain songs that were radio friendly become a new and frowned upon phenomena? Bands have been doing it forever. There's a reason why Pride is on Unforgettable Fire. What, you think The Beatles included A Little Help From My Friends on Sgt Peppers for the song's artistic merit?
Hipster/street cred or whatever you call it, maybe. That or everything has to sound like "In Rainbows" to be legit somehow.

All kidding I aside, I agree. What You Need wouldn't have been on INXS Listen Like Thieves album either since it was written for that reason. In fact, the whole Kick album was basically their manager's request for them to write an album consisting of nothing but singles. Do people on here criticize all those songs just because of the process? Or do they get a pass because they grew up with them and it was early on for the band? Who knows?
trevgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:30 AM   #125
Blue Crack Supplier

No Line On The Horizon: the most underrated album?

Quote:
Why in god's name would they have even considered a live version of SLAB? It's all atmospherics and a particular sound. And unlike Velvet Dress (its closest cousin), it's not sexy and can't even be used in that "slow dance" way in a concert--it's the opposite of sexy, considering it's about a child molester.

Why not? (And it's not really about a molester, it's about ignoring and covering up abuse).

Exit is about a serial killer. There was that "Heart of Darkness" section on the JT tour. I'm sure they considered it's dramatic/hypnotic possibilities in a live setting, especially during their most Broadway-like tour ever. It's about pacing and variety and having options around which to build a show with three distinct acts.
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:11 AM   #126
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Quote:
Why not? (And it's not really about a molester, it's about ignoring and covering up abuse).

Exit is about a serial killer. There was that "Heart of Darkness" section on the JT tour. I'm sure they considered it's dramatic/hypnotic possibilities in a live setting, especially during their most Broadway-like tour ever. It's about pacing and variety and having options around which to build a show with three distinct acts.
I can see One Step Closer and SLAB being a bit slow for a live show, but the most likely of those mentioned to work in a live environment. Possibly not in full-length mode, but I could picture them being a sort of transition to another song with the two verses and choruses alone.

Cedars hardly qualifies as a "song" in the first place, so I really can't see any way that would work live.
trevgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:04 AM   #127
Blue Crack Distributor

Didn't this band play Your Blue Room, one of the slowest and most obscure songs they've ever written, on the largest stadium tour of all time?

Now you could make an argument that they shouldn't have, but clearly if they feel I fits into whatever theme they're trying to get across, they have no issue pulling out a slow, brooding song.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:42 PM   #128
War Child

Quote:

yes and they also played The Troubles a few times.

It fell flat unfortunately which is what the band want to avoid above all else. All bands, really.
Iggy Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:27 PM   #129
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

The Troubles did not at all fall flat. I saw it in Montreal and New York, and in both instances, it received a better round of applause than Every Breaking Wave.

U2 are perfectionists when it comes to playing their songs. Part of the equation is certainly crowd reaction, but they are very particular about how a song sounds live. I do not think they liked how The Troubles sounded live, which is a shame.
popacrobat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:48 PM   #130
War Child

Local Time: 11:03 AM
The album is rated exactly as it should be -- a boring disappointment.
The Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:01 PM   #131
Babyface

An album of soaring high moments and conversely bottomless pits of nonsense.

However I might need to give it another listen. Been too long
Extra15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:59 PM   #132
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:03 AM
No line on the horizon (song) and Cedars Of Lebanon are the only songs from this album I revisit.
Gonna Run 2 U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:18 PM   #133
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

There should have just been two albums. An atmospheric one led by Brian Eno/Lanois and HTDAAB 2.0

Brian Eno LP: No Line On The Horizon, Magnificent, Moment of Surrender, Unknown Caller, Fez-Being Born, Cedars of Lebanon

HTDAAB 2.0: Get On Your Boots, I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight, Stand Up Comedy, Breathe, Winter

Could Fit Either: White As Snow
BigMacPhisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:57 PM   #134
Babyface

Just listened to it tonight for the first time in a while. It sounded so fresh. 1-2-3. Ranks up there with best consecutive trio of songs
Extra15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 05:03 AM   #135
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto View Post
HTDAAB 2.0: Get On Your Boots, I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight, Stand Up Comedy, Breathe, Winter
They should have made this album and thrown it into the garbage

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote