My friend got "U2 Fan- Shamed" last night!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
still got the exact same "i'm too smart for these people" posting style i see. :lmao: you should try harder with the next account you create.

man, i can't wait until the next big gun control debate in FYM. see you there!

I don't pretend to be smarter than anyone else. You seem like a pretty sharp person as do many others here, but for some reason the knives are out when you encounter someone who disagrees.

This is the worst return I've ever seen. The trick is to fly under the radar like I did after my Fake Edge experiment ended.

that is a funny story.

right before we went into the Seattle 360 show, we were at a bar, and an early-20-something bartender (fat, lots of tats, basically nasty) was going off on us when she learned we were going to see U2. It was amusing how she had to remind us how OLD they were and so naturally uncool.

Of course, most chicks in Seattle - either natives or transplants - have developmental issues. So we just laughed at her.

This is disgusting on a few levels, all of which are equally offensive. You should be banned. Shit like this is what gives the internet a bad name.

axver and BVS - I am so sad you don't approve of my post.

on the bright side, you are both living up to your reputations. so there's that.

BVS and I don't get along​ when it comes to U2, but yeah, it's nice that he's living up to his rep if being a decent guy.

ok this was a good comeback :lol: credit where credit is due

thank you :D

honestly, we're all off on the wrong foot. I should not have posted that comment, it was crude and crass. I would delete it but then I would have people yelling about that as well.

and for what it is worth, I am not a former member. You'll have to trust me on that, because I know of no other way to prove this. but whatever at this point...

streaking_large.jpg

040312-lukewilson-anchorman.jpg

003OSC_Vince_Vaughn_015.jpg

I didn't think about it until now, but this actually describes our group dynamic pretty well. If only I were a millionaire like Vince Vaughn's character...

The 22 year old girl's new fella was then talking about bands he likes, and I said "well, we're old, we have no clue who that is!" And he said "yeah, I mean you guys are pushing 40! You probably like AC/DC, Journey and that type of shit!" My other friend (that never left the campus area) went off on this guy for saying that he's pushing 40. I thought they were seriously gonna fight! It was at that point I realized I really should've stayed home with my family.

The next night, my wife and I watched the movie "Liberal Arts". If you haven't seen it, it's basically about a guy (Ted Mosby) who is also 35, and tries reliving his college days, and finally grows up in the process. I felt like this weekend the universe is trying to tell me to act my age!

Last edited:
You'll have to excuse the lateness of my reply. You see, I am a woman from Seattle and therefore have developmental issues. It took me a long time to read that one post and understood what it meant.

I want to say something insightful, but I just feel nauseous every time I try to analyse anything written here.

You'll have to excuse the lateness of my reply. You see, I am a woman from Seattle and therefore have developmental issues. It took me a long time to read that one post and understood what it meant.

I've met cori and can confirm she is basically nasty.

Weird situation. My friend recently went through a divorce, moved out of the family home into a small apartment near a college campus with another friend of mine. All 3 of us are 35 years old. My divorced friend is kind of going through an early midlife crisis, and my other friend pretty much finished college and just stayed there. I personally am married with children and live an hour away, but these 2 are some of my oldest, best friends, and I'm trying to be a good friend to my divorced buddy, so I came out for a visit.

Anyway, we end up going to this bar that we are all CLEARLY too old to go to, but they are regulars at and are kind of the resident old guys. My divorced friend runs into a 22 year old girl that he hooked up with a couple weeks ago (like I said, midlife crisis), and she must've moved on, because she was there with a more age appropriate guy. She was making fun of my friend (who she willingly had sex with), and told the guy "OMG... his favorite band is U2!!" They both bust out laughing, and go on to describe how lame U2 are, Bono's a dick, etc. I interject and tell him that what's truly lame is to make fun of other people's taste in music, etc, but they're young, stupid and that stuff is truly important to them.

It was a weird night, made me appreciate even more what I have at home, and that I am comfortable being 35 and doing things that 35 year olds do. Not saying everybody has to grow up and be boring, but at a certain point it just isn't natural anymore. I guess my point was just to tell you all a funny story about what 2 college aged people think of U2.

As someone who just turned 30, I love this thread. I smiled through the entire story. Thank you for letting me know what I have to look forward to! Haha! The dating/hook up culture truly fascinates me as I never really participated in it while in college. I wanted to but didn't have the confidence and didn't drink, so there was no liquid courage to add.

I flailed about for a couple of years after college then got into a very difficult 4.5 year relationship that ended during the first leg of I&E- though it was on the rocks before then and over in all but name. Anyways, I sort of feel like your recently divorced buddy. I started into the bar scene toward the end of the relationship and I'm a regular at a few places in Boston. Lots of people I talk to- younger bartenders and patrons alike- say the exact same things about U2 as your buddy's hook up and her new college boy flame. It's funny because they pass themselves off as so in tune with the culture and artistry and probably think they're unique and U2 are lame old guys. Yet they sound the exact same in every city no matter how far apart geographically.

As long as the 22 year old was hot, your 35 year old buddy shouldn't worry much about her opinion of U2. Haha! If he meets someone who may be a keeper, then I'd suggest he play her some of the lesser known songs in the catalog. Or even some of the non-2000s hits and watch her go "really, this is U2? I've always liked this song!"

For what it's worth, the U2 young kids backlash/old has been argument doesn't seem to be as widespread as it was even a couple of years ago. I think the little splash I&E made independent of the Apple debacle was a positive one with most people. And of course, I'm hearing people who I never thought would have any interest in U2 talking about how they're looking forward to them playing JT this summer.

You know, I like U2 and actual think they ARE cool. I get it, they are old but it doesn't phase me because they are not cool in my eyes because of the way they dress now or talk or where they hang out....they are at cool because:

every time I put on Mysterious Ways, if fucking rocks!

Where the Streets Have no Name is fucking incredible! Whether you believe in Heaven or not, there is a 74% chance that the opening to this song is the sound your soul makes ascending to Heaven!( if you're going to Hell, it's likely the opening to Stand Up Comedy)

With or Without you still makes me smile and sing along every time I hear it

I still Haven't Found What I'm Looking for still sounds amazing after 30 years

Pride still has a sick guitar sound

SBS still has impactful lyrics and one hell of a drum beat

Angel of Harlem still makes me bob my head every time I play it

Whenever I hear Elevation...I sing the "hooo, hooo"" part....yeah, I love this song want to fight about it ! ;)

Discotheques guitar sound is cool

Even Better than the Real Thing is cool

One is ridiculously good

Bad rocks

The opening to ZooTV was cool as hell

The Super Bowl halftime performance of Streets still gives me chills

Hell, I think U2 is so cool that I'm on a forum filled to the teeth with liberals and I yet I like you all because you like U2 and therefore, you must good people!!!! (Don't get your underwear in all in a bunch, in half kidding ;) )

Feel free to add to this list that is only 1.5% of the reason I think U2 is cool.

If some old people think they suck and the Beatles are better or if some young kids think they suck and Twenty One Pilots are better....my response to them would be to quote the great philosopher "The Rock"....."IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOU THINK!"

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Last edited:
The misogynistic bleatings, yes. Couldn't care less whether other people like U2 or not.

Weird situation. My friend recently went through a divorce, moved out of the family home into a small apartment near a college campus with another friend of mine. All 3 of us are 35 years old. My divorced friend is kind of going through an early midlife crisis, and my other friend pretty much finished college and just stayed there. I personally am married with children and live an hour away, but these 2 are some of my oldest, best friends, and I'm trying to be a good friend to my divorced buddy, so I came out for a visit.

Anyway, we end up going to this bar that we are all CLEARLY too old to go to, but they are regulars at and are kind of the resident old guys. My divorced friend runs into a 22 year old girl that he hooked up with a couple weeks ago (like I said, midlife crisis), and she must've moved on, because she was there with a more age appropriate guy. She was making fun of my friend (who she willingly had sex with), and told the guy "OMG... his favorite band is U2!!" They both bust out laughing, and go on to describe how lame U2 are, Bono's a dick, etc. I interject and tell him that what's truly lame is to make fun of other people's taste in music, etc, but they're young, stupid and that stuff is truly important to them.

It was a weird night, made me appreciate even more what I have at home, and that I am comfortable being 35 and doing things that 35 year olds do. Not saying everybody has to grow up and be boring, but at a certain point it just isn't natural anymore. I guess my point was just to tell you all a funny story about what 2 college aged people think of U2.

As long as your at least 21, you can enter any bar in the United States. It doesn't matter if your 21, 25, 45, 75, or 95. Your legal and free to enter and enjoy yourself. Segregating people by age is ignorant and pointless. Same as segregating people by race, sex, or sexual orientation. There are important reasons for separating children of different ages as well as from adults, but once your an adult, all that gets left behind.

Its interesting, but for most of human existence, the past 200,000 years or so, people were not identified with an age number. There was no such thing as a year in peoples lives. People lived day to day. Most could not tell another person how old they were in any precise way.

As for making fun of U2, who are they into? What exactly do they listen to? That would probably be funny to hear.

It's kind of hilarious that "the old guys at the bar" are 35 and listen to U2.

1) That's not old.

and

2) You're in the same boat as me being someone relatively young at the turn of the century and getting into U2. I'm 31 and definitely remember being into a band that was considered uncool by a good amount of people at the time. Just worth pointing out because you'd figure the average U2 fan is someone in their 50s now that got into them at Joshua Tree or earlier.

Of course, for every ten people that hated U2 in college because of the endless Vertigo advertisements, there'd be plenty of others that loved going to the concerts or digging into their discography, etc. Hell, I hooked up one night with a girl in my early 20s whose favorite band was U2 and you can bet I used the JT bonus DVD to get her in bed. So I'm sure just as the band annoyed millions by tossing out SOI onto people's phones, I'm sure there's a new generation of curious kids that got into them because of that. And that's great, provided these people end up out-growing that turd of an album.

It's kind of hilarious that "the old guys at the bar" are 35 and listen to U2.

1) That's not old.

and

2) You're in the same boat as me being someone relatively young at the turn of the century and getting into U2. I'm 31 and definitely remember being into a band that was considered uncool by a good amount of people at the time. Just worth pointing out because you'd figure the average U2 fan is someone in their 50s now that got into them at Joshua Tree or earlier.

Of course, for every ten people that hated U2 in college because of the endless Vertigo advertisements, there'd be plenty of others that loved going to the concerts or digging into their discography, etc. Hell, I hooked up one night with a girl in my early 20s whose favorite band was U2 and you can bet I used the JT bonus DVD to get her in bed. So I'm sure just as the band annoyed millions by tossing out SOI onto people's phones, I'm sure there's a new generation of curious kids that got into them because of that. And that's great, provided these people end up out-growing that turd of an album.

Thats true, 35 is definitely not old, although in undergraduate college land, just being 25 to some people(age 18-21) seems old for some strange reason. A lot of these students are still in grade School/High School mode where if someones age does not exactly match their grade or year in college then they think there is something wrong.

I think U2's main fan base is between 40 and 55 now, with the average being age 47. Hopefully more young fans will jump on the bandwagon to replace those who for whatever reason have gotten off.

Hell, I hooked up one night with a girl in my early 20s whose favorite band was U2 and you can bet I used the JT bonus DVD to get her in bed..

I can't even think of a word strong enough to voice my approval of you doing this!

The closest I ever came to getting laid because of U2 was at the Pittsburgh 360 show. This group of college age people (and at least one of their mothers) were standing right next to us on the floor, and they were drunk as fuck, getting high, etc. I was 29 at the time and this 19 year old girl really took a liking to me. Now at that time I had a pregnant wife at home, whom I had no intention of being even the slightest bit unfaithful to. She was drunk as fuck, and coming on to me hardcore. I think I bummed her a cigarette, and after that I was her best friend... and then some. I kept trying to politely shut her down, and she was pretty persistent. Finally, this girl's mother, who is high as a kite, tells her daughter to leave me alone, as she's making me uncomfortable.

Thats true, 35 is definitely not old, although in undergraduate college land, just being 25 to some people(age 18-21) seems old for some strange reason. A lot of these students are still in grade School/High School mode where if someones age does not exactly match their grade or year in college then they think there is something wrong.

I think U2's main fan base is between 40 and 55 now, with the average being age 47. Hopefully more young fans will jump on the bandwagon to replace those who for whatever reason have gotten off.

I don't believe 35 to be old at all, but yeah, college bars are not my scene anymore. I prefer to hang out in bars where anybody from 21-91 is welcome. But my friends in this story are kind of stuck in college. They aren't even necessarily trolling for young college girls, my friend just happened to hook up with the younger sister of a girl my other friend is sort of dating. I remember going to college bars when I was 25 and thinking "alright, I'm almost too old to come here". 10 years later, and I might as well be 60 as far as these kids are concerned. And as far as I'm concerned, they might as well be 14 years old.

Back
Top Bottom