Muse & Edge - Glastonbury

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have no doubt whatsoever that U2 would've put on an incredible show at Glastonbury. They would've totally soaked up the festival vibe and charged the crowd up. Even people who don't care for U2 probably would've enjoyed the show. I hope they can manage to get a chance to come back, to show the world what they missed out on this time around.

Absolution is one of, if not the, greatest albums ever imo. Interesting how most of the anti-Muse brigade seem to like The Killers, Keane or Coldplay, a bit like preferring sloppy yoghurt over a bloody steak.

I like Muse AND those three bands. So, um, don't know what that says about me :p.

Agreed on Absolution as well. I'd go with that statement. I dunno, I just like Muse because I think their songs are fun and beautiful and haunting and flat out weird. I like that they're ridiculous and over-the-top. I like that they incorporate a lot of piano and strings into their songs, I'm big on songs where those instruments are prominent. Yeah, some of their lyrics are cheesy, but I'm not bothered by that, I still like 'em. They put on a great live show, they seem like decent people as well, and it's just nice to see the kind of rock they do back in the mainstream again. Shakes things up a bit. Yes, Matt's voice can definitely divide people-hell, it took me a bit to get used to it at first, too, but now I like it (and think it's calmed down a LOT from when the band first started).

If somebody isn't into the band's music, that's entirely fine, your opinion, your tastes aren't mine and it's cool. I just happen to strongly disagree with you, that's all :shrug: :).

Angela

I dont understand how the Edge was at Glastonbury and no one asked him about U2's plans for a new album? Seems like the press had a perfect opertunity to try to get somthing out of him

I dont understand how the Edge was at Glastonbury and no one asked him about U2's plans for a new album? Seems like the press had a perfect opertunity to try to get somthing out of him

i don't see why the press would particularly think to ask him something like that seeing they only had an album out a year ago... i'd imagine the press would probably be focusing on news re. the tour at this point...

In terms of Muse v U2 - I think the others here who were there for this would agree, the difference can best be summed up in the different energy in the crowd for Streets. It wasn't necessarily individually the most 'apeshit' reaction of the set, probably tied at the top with a couple of others. But there absolutely was a different feeling to the crowd for just that one song. People jump around to Muse, they dance to Muse, they sing along and punch their fists in the air, all on a huge scale (absolutely truly nuts crowd from start to finish), but.. it's hard to describe... it's a little bit more aggressive, and seems a little bit more.. individual, or something? (as in, 100,000 individual people acting individually), whereas Streets unleashed a kind of wave of collective joy, one where you notice everyone still jumping, dancing, singing along, but they're now doing it 'with' the people around them, suddenly feels like 100,000 people combined. I know that is in part just because it's a big, classic, famous, anthemic, singalong song, but we know that's the vibe you get through a whole U2 gig, whereas the Muse vibe was very different - disconnect between stage and crowd, disconnect between members of the crowd. Everyone in their own fantasy electro-glam rock opera world I suppose.
I agree with this. I'd compare Muse's songs with a U2 song like Vertigo live. They're kick-ass live songs. But songs like Streets, NYD... are just magical live songs.

Coldplay = Sloppy yoghurt.
Killers = Sloppy raspberry yoghurt mixed with some muesli.
Keane = Sloppy yoghurt seems like a compliment. Yoghurt has some flavour at least.

Don't forget to mention that CP's yoghurt is WAY past the expiration date. :yuck:

I do love the Killers dearly though. :shrug: Don't care much for Keane. Taste is a funny thing.

Killers are a lot of fun, but I certainly wouldn't classify them as anything special. That's not a dig, I do like them very much, for what they are.

Coldplay, I don't know. I do have a bit of an unusual soft spot for them because I spent a bit of time with them years (years and years) ago, and all of them (CM included) were really nice, funny guys. So it's hard to automatically write them off, and I still kind of will them on to do something decent. Parachutes was a truly great debut by anyones standards, and I remember when Clocks leaked, this place went nuts for it. Back then, Coldplay were universally highly regarded here. But X&Y was a steaming turd, bad enough to spread its turdiness backwards onto Rush of Blood and totally shift opinion on that album. And there's a presumption that Chris Martin has turned himself into a Grade A cock along the way, which if true would be a real shame because at one point he certainly was not at all in any way a dick (and he might not be now - remember, the assumption by most of the public is that Bono is a complete dick as well).

Anyway, I don't think their whole catalogue is crap, or that there are absolutely no redeeming features there. And I don't think their obvious U2-worship is something to trash them over either. X&Y was rubbish. Viva la Vida was a worthwhile attempt that just ended up ringing hollow. I do think they could be a genuine 'dream it all up again' step away from producing some decent music, at least. But yeah, at the moment, boring as all hell. But still a million levels above Keane. And THAT guy is a dick, no doubt about it.

Here's the photo of me and my mate at the Glastonbury U2 shrine. That's me in the Fly goggles hehe.

Praying at the altar -

Haha thats my mate in the Brazil shirt. My World Cup sweepstake money is on Holland so I'm pretty much :hyper: right now.

Would anybody happen to have/know of a MP3 download of Muse's set at Glasto 2010 that they could PM to me?

They stayed faithful to the original. I enjoyed it a lot.

They were using U2's backing track, they had no choice but to stick to the tempo and arrangement. I felt that the drummer perhaps didn't realize how a. important his cymbal crashes are at the start (see Edge look over at him almost like "dude where are your cues") and b. how fast the thing is to be played (initially, at least). He picked it up tho and it got better. Overall I liked it, and I have no use for Muse to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom