Most Overrated U2 Song vs Most Underrated U2 Song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Overrated: Beautiful Day. It's a really nice song... But just nice, incomparable with the other stuff.
Underrated: Spanish Eyes. In my opinion this song shows perfectly the climate of that era but it was only a b-side.

Disagree on both counts. I think Beautiful Day is one of their best songs and still sounds fresh and effortless. Spanish Eyes as a B-side is about right to me, it has a lovely chiming beginning but the rest of the song is just not that strong.

Overrated: I could pick a few but I'll go with Where The Streets Have No Name, just because of its Everest-high standing among U2's catalogue. I do like the song and it has the most magical, celestial, spine-tingling opening, but IMO the song peaks right there and never scales those heights again in the remaining 4 minutes or so.

Underrated: White As Snow. I think it's a great, haunting mood piece and I love Bono's foray into the storytelling mode.

Disagree. Streets is a U2 classic and always a concert highlight. WAS is ok but nothing special for me.

Underrated. Tie ASOH and One Tree Hill. Probably my favourite vocal performances and even better live.

Overrated. Elevation.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Agree on the underrated but only with ASOH. OTH is good, but not on the same level of ASOH.

It's hard for me to consider elevation overrated. I mean I guess maybe in the public eye... but then any good non-single cut could be considered underrated. I don't think that many fans care that much about elevation, so I don't say it's overrated, although I agree it's not the good.

Underrated: Gone. I love Gone. Especially live.

Overrated: ISHFWILF Great lyrics, but it's been overplayed, and the song isn't THAT musically captivating, although it's a good track, it is overrated IMO.

Over rated...... wait for it...BOOTS :barf:

Under rated, there's a few

ASOH
Dirty Day
OTH
Promenade
WILATW

Overrated — probably Vertigo or Boots. Or even Elevation

Underrated — Dirty Day, Last Night on Earth, So Cruel, Miracle Drug, Gone

Overrated: 1993-1997 U2
Underrated: 2000-2004 U2

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Overrated: Your Blue Room (though I still love the song)

Underrated: Do You Feel Loved, Fez-Being Born

I'm going on Interference opinion alone. Almost all U2 albums are underrated by critics.

watch

Overrated: Your Blue Room (though I still love the song)

Underrated: Do You Feel Loved, Fez-Being Born

I agree YBR is overrated especially by interference.

Love DYFL. Fez is like the second coming on the board. Not really underrated.

Overrated: Walk On. Needs a rest next tour. Had sentimental value to the public after 9/11 but it's a song I would take a piss break to at a concert. Honorable Mention to Wake Up Dead Man ( Not very engaging musically )

Underrated: The Sweetest Thing. Perfect original pop song that really came together on the Best Of mix. Didn't really have a place on JT. Bit of a cute little orphan.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Underrated - 11'o'clock tick-tock, Heartland, Silver and Gold (ignore the Bono speech. I love the solo), Miami, Crumbs, GOYB.

Overrated - Vertigo (I'll never understand the appeal. A banal song with a rock-by-numbers riff and boring solo)

Overrated - Vertigo
Underrated - Like A Song (should of been a rock classic?!?!)

Why they never played "Like A Song" live is beyond me?!?!

Maybe because they got terrified after album release what an awful song they put out :doh:

Okay, at least it has massive amount of energy or rather rage.

LuckyNumber7 - I'm going to disagree with you on Lemon. One of my favorite songs EVER. I think it's right where it needs to be. Great tune! Agree on the underrated.

Overrated: One. I love this song so, so much but it is overplayed and I'm growing a little sick of it to be honest. It gets played every night and it just seems tired. Still a great song but overrated.

Underrated: Zooropa. They've barely even tried it live and it is an amazing song off an amazing album that nobody, outside of Interference anyway, really knows about.

See the bootlegs from the 360 tour, they played it lately on that tour and it was bloody brilliant

Overrated - Vertigo
Underrated - Like A Song (should of been a rock classic?!?!)

Why they never played "Like A Song" live is beyond me?!?!

They played "Like a song" 1 or 2 times back in 83. There is an audio on youtube..... but yes, this is my favourite U2 song, full of rage, I like that.

Overrated -> Beautiful Day, Walk on, Elevation (basically most of ATYCLB)

Underrated -> The October album (Rejoice, With a shout, I fall down)

speaking just for interference:

overrated -- 40
underrated - stuck in a moment

general public / hits / singles

overrated -- still haven't found
underrated -- all i want is you

Underrated:
- Shadows and Tall Trees
- I Fall Down
- I Threw a Brick
- Rejoice
- With a Shout
- Is That All?
- A Celebration
- THE REFUGEE (in my top 20-30 U2 songs)
- Red Light
- Treasure (Whatever Happened...)
- Elvis Presley and America
- Desert of Our Love
- Rise Up
- God Part II
- Wake Up Dead Man
- Crazy Tonight (yeah it's dumb but it's also catchy and enjoyable)
- Invisible (come one people this is a new classic)

Overrated:
- I Still Haven't Found (one of their best for sure, but it gets more radio play than a lot of better songs)
- Exit
- Until the End of the World
- Love is Blindness
- Hold Me, Thrill Me...
- Please
- North and South of the River
- The Ground Beneath Her Feet
- Kite
- When I Look at the World
- Moment of Surrender (it's great, but it is not a masterpiece or really as special as some say it is)

Overrated: One
Underrated: So Cruel (Because its on the same album as One)

One is a great song but they have created many other ballads that are worth listening to.

Back
Top Bottom