'Miami' vs. 'New York'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which Song Do You Prefer?

• Miami

Votes: 79 45.7%
  • New York

Votes: 94 54.3%

• Total voters
"Miami" is awesome. Love the lyrics. I lived in Miami twice in my life, and the lyrics captured the mood perfectly. As a piece of poetry, it sort of reminds me of when Bono writes monologues about Sinatra or Elvis. He has a perceptive way of distilling the imagery. Love that about Bono.

2008-05-13-Jeff_Van_Gundy_On_Alonzo.jpg

absolutly New York

for me Miami is one of their worst work

I have to agree with you. When I first heard Miami I was so disappointed. It sounded awful. I still can't listen to it. I know some people like this tune but to me its the 2nd worst track from POP, behind Wake Up Dead Man. Now, if you want to talk about Do you Feel Loved....that was(still is) a great song!!!

Pop is my absolute least favorite U2 album, but even still, I always listen to 'Miami' when I listen to songs I like from Pop; it's one of my favorites from that album.
same here :up:

last time I listened to All that you can't .... I actually did enjoy New York more than I did before though

I like 'New York' more I guess because it was so poignant live after 9/11.

I wish there were more comments on this thread because there have been intelligent opinions expressed when comparing the two songs. This is an interesting topic.

New York = Great guitar riff looking for a decent song to fit into.

My vote goes to Miami since it isn't half baked. That said, it is U2 possibly failing by pushing themselves too far. But having the sense of adventure to stick with the song and release it isn't a bad thing.

And, as someone said ealier, Miami was monstrous live, moreso than NY which is just a guitar riff with some crappy lyrics.

I love both. There was a solo that Edge added to the end of New York live, that I thought really sounded 11 O'Clock Tick Tock/New Year's Day-ish. I loved that. I think New York is a great atmospheric rocker.

Miami became a different beast live. The guitar riff was sort of subdued on the record, but it was monstrous live. It was like Edge was channeling Jimmy Page. If U2 could play it like that again, I wouldn't mind it at all if it made its way into the live set this time around.

I can't choose.

100% agree

I always loved NY. For me, it's a cousin to Exit - a song based off a simple progression that allows the band to jam through some dynamics. It's not as successful as Exit, but I dig the intention there.

I thought New York was a highlight of the Elevation shows, especially the first two times I saw them. I actually hope they dust it off a few times on this tour. Never saw Miami live. And, I wouldn't mess with Grace as the closer of the album. I think the sound and lyrics fit with the entire them of the album. End it with a prayer, baby.

Back
Top Bottom