Mary J Blige / U2 Version of One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jon Seidman

The Fly
So believe it or not I heard this version on the radio for the first time. I have been avoiding listening to it because I can't stand when singers do all those gospel style 'runs' and I knew she'd do them. She did. I thought this version was terrible and gratuitous. The production was muddy and the vocals were so in your face it hurt my ears. I never got much out of this song to begin with but this just killed any chance it did have with me. I didn't like anything about it.

Before y'all start hatin' I do have a reason for this thread. My question is, did they re-record this in totality or is it studio musicians + Edge, Bono, and Blige, or what? It sounded like Edge's guitar work and not a copycat but the drums were bogus and the bass might have been programmed. Couldn't tell. It was wishy washy.

Ok, let me have it...

It was recorded live at the ACC in Toronto (edit: with some post production by a producer she works with, can't remember). The drums are awesome, they are "Larry Live" and Mary J does a great job on it, obviously you've never heard the runs she does on her own stuff. She treated the song respectfully and seeing them do it live, I can tell you that Bono looked pleased as punch at what she did. The vocals are in your face just as they are on all U2's live recordings. The drums were bogus? The bass programmed? Wow, how far off can one be!

Incidentally, she did One as an encore at most of her shows on her last tour. And the crowd ate it up. :up:

The version is fine, but what irks me is when I'm in a store and the original One plays on the speakers and some kid nearby says "Oh, someone covered Mary J..." :banghead:

It's absolutely impossible for this version to come close to the original....but it was a good effort nonetheless....well actually no, it wasn't a good effort...I hate it.

The version is fine, but what irks me is when I'm in a store and the original One plays on the speakers and some kid nearby says "Oh, someone covered Mary J..." :banghead:

:lol: thats funny

I think she did a great job (and thank god no one like the Jonas Bros have got their paws on it) but I always feel just a teensy bit let down when I hear the opening strains of the song and then realise its not the original version :shrug:

HOLY SHIT....I've never heard that, but that would drive me up a wall...I hope I never hear anybody say that around me...:pray:

I absolutely HATE this version :yikes: can't stand it... she just ruins the whole 'atmosphere' with her voice, she sings it like she's badly constipated or something!

:rolleyes: and yea, the cover thing irks me too... people say that SO often, One? oh that mjb song??

I like the version as long as Mary doesn't exaggerate it vocally, the end is just terrible, all these screaming totally destroys the song, its message and atmosphere. Interestingly enough, it went straight to number 1 in our charts, while the original of One never made it to number 1 back in the day.

It sounded like the drums were 'touched up'. Maybe overdubbed with some triggers or something, to give it more of an r and b feel. The bass didn't fit the 'soul' vocals so I thought it was programmed. But it was just Adam. Oh well, thanks for answering my question everyone.

I feel like this version was unnecessary. Maybe someone made an alcohol induced promise one night or something and this was the result.

Oh well. Thanks.

This version was recorded "live" in a soundcheck setting, i.e. without an audience. MJB added some additional vocals when she released it as a single, but the instruments were all performed live.

You realize that Mary was at that soundcheck singing, too, right? I think they also added some strings or background ambience during post-production also, but don't quote me. Maybe they just brought U2's backing track up in the mix a bit.

she just ruins the whole 'atmosphere' with her voice, she sings it like she's badly constipated or something!

What 'atmosphere' might that be? To me, One has gone from a 'we're one but not the same' come together song it was in the 90s to a more urgent call to arms. Her strain and passion complements this shift perfectly in her own way, and that's what it's supposed to do.

You guys are just pissed because U2 loved doing this song with her. :shrug:

I think I like to watch this version of the song better than listening to it. Mary puts her all into it and Bono looks quite thrilled she is.

Well that's a contradiction from you that I didn't expect. Bono's voice is stellar on this one. Maybe he felt inspired :up:

Theres nothing wrong with his voice on this one, but the original is amazing :drool: The whole hoarse sound he got and the falsetto :drool::drool:

One togheter with UF,WOWY, and MOTD are the songs that alway will be better in the studio versions.

What 'atmosphere' might that be? To me, One has gone from a 'we're one but not the same' come together song it was in the 90s to a more urgent call to arms. Her strain and passion complements this shift perfectly in her own way, and that's what it's supposed to do.

You guys are just pissed because U2 loved doing this song with her. :shrug:

well, the original has a complete different feeling.. together with the story how it came about, it's just some kind of magic.. I find it hard to explain, but the way she sung it just rubs me the wrong way! all the straining and screaming just ruins it for me.

I understand others like it and I don't care if they do, but that last remark of yours is childish bullshit and you know it.
And check Larry's face during the whole song. I even giffed that moment. U2 loved doing this song with her? No, Bono did.

I understand others like it and I don't care if they do, but that last remark of yours is childish bullshit and you know it.
And check Larry's face during the whole song. I even giffed that moment. U2 loved doing this song with her? No, Bono did.

What the? I was just kidding yo! But you're dreaming if you don't think U2 liked doing the song with her, they did. Larry's face is always like that, if we used Larry's face as a gauge we'd have to conclude he hates being at most U2 shows. :lol:

if we used Larry's face as a gauge we'd have to conclude he hates being at most U2 shows. :lol:

He does :wink: How would you like it having to watch Bono's arse while hearing a 60 minute speech when you have to keep hitting the same fuckin' hi-hats in 4/4?

He does :wink: How would you like it having to watch Bono's arse while hearing a 60 minute speech when you have to keep hitting the same fuckin' hi-hats in 4/4?

True nuff ;)

Honestly? I'm going to have to check the various videos I have of this again. I could have sworn in one he had this big shit-eating grin on his face at the end. I remember cause in my mind I went 'wow, Larry just smiled a rare smile!' :lol:

Back
Top Bottom