Legality of recording interview and hosting online

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CarpathiaMan

Babyface
Hi everyone. I honestly didn't know where else to put this. Hope this is an appropriate section.

Anyway, I was thinking of converting to MP3 (from cassette) a very old recording I have of an interview with the band that was broadcast on a local rock station in my area that no longer exists. This goes back right to when they started the Zoo tour. Then I was thinking of maybe putting it on my blog to share. Is this permissible? Or would I just have to acknowledge where it came from and say that I personally don't own the copyright?

Thanks for any advice.

You would probably technically be in violation of copyright law no matter how many notices you displayed. The copyright was probably technically owned by the radio station, and, even if the station is now defunct, that copyright is technically an asset that should technically have some ownership still now. Now, the chances of you being sued over that are about about one in seven quintillion.

(Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, and don't take my advice as sound legal advice; I just have an interest in intellectual property law.)

Yea, I agree with Digitize, however thousands of YouTube uploaders take that chance every day. You might get a "cease or desist," you might get your blog shut down, you might get sued. Or, maybe no one will notice. I'm personally not ballsy enough to take that chance.

Put it on YouTube and let them deal with it. Plaster a big "For Educational Purposes Only" disclaimer on it.

Pretty much every single last video on YouTube is in violation if we go by the strictest Interpretation of the law.

As you can probably tell, this is not a legal opinion. Lol

Hi everyone. I honestly didn't know where else to put this. Hope this is an appropriate section.

Anyway, I was thinking of converting to MP3 (from cassette) a very old recording I have of an interview with the band that was broadcast on a local rock station in my area that no longer exists. This goes back right to when they started the Zoo tour. Then I was thinking of maybe putting it on my blog to share. Is this permissible? Or would I just have to acknowledge where it came from and say that I personally don't own the copyright?

Thanks for any advice.

If you want to cover yourself 100%, you could try writing to whoever the owners of the radio station were (which could be tricky if the station is now defunct), stating that you don't intend to profit from the recording, and then organize a release (a form could be involved). But you may have to wait up to six months for a reply (if they reply at all). As others have stated, the chances of anyone taking action are miniscule, but you may decide it's just not worth the worry.

This is why YouTube is the best way. You don't just get sued right away: you get asked nicely to take it down, or its taken down for you. If that happens, there's your sign that you should probably just leave it alone. If nothing happens.. :shrug:

↑ Australian for legal advice.

article-1305251-009E32921000044C-544_468x286.jpg

acknowledge where it came from and copyright status and do it quietly like the song sings
only you know and I know

You know, I might just go ahead and do it. Like it's been said, what are the odds of anyone caring ... when I do the recording, I can leave out any mention of the radio station, and maybe all I need to say is that it was off the radio in the Detroit area in the early '90s. Why anyone would have a legal hissy fit over something old from a defunct radio station that I'm not making any money from is beyond me.

Back
Top Bottom