just listening to all 3 00's albums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allbecauseofu2

Refugee
i just listened to all 3 00's albums. going from ATYCLB, to NLOTH, to HTDAAB. not in any order, but did all 3 lead off tracks, and all 3 ending songs back to back to back. and i can say i feel they all sound real good together. feels to me, and i know some people disagree, like a trilogy. So far, barring this other album coming this year, this is the sound of 2000's u2. middle age. Speaking personaly, its come along a LONG way since the days where i knew just the hits off of JT, and then rediscovered them in late mid 90's, not even knowing the impact of AB, and such. its some journey. It all started with just watching the video of ISHFWILF, in 1987. If ur a u2 fan that dates back to pre 2000, and u loved them before that, u should try listening to the 00's albums in a row. I did mixing up the tracks to make it intresting.

Funny you should mention this bc I listened to HTDAAB start to finish yesterday to take a break from NLOTH and it's actually quite good, Mir Drug sounds a bit choppy and a Man and a Woman is oh well, but overall, pretty darn good.

It happened with Rocky and Rambo.

The pressure is off HTDAAB now as it is not the most recent, or perceived 'Last' album now. Rocky 5 is an immeasureably better movie now that Rocky 6 is out (a good movie in its own right). Once they completed the story, each of the more recent components made more sense and seemed of a higher quality.

Now that people are less worried about the future of U2, thet can properly appreciate HTDAAB as the fine album it is.

Even though these 3 would be anyones top 3 u2 discs, the 00's best of has the potential to be their best compilation.

The other thing is that it definately is a trilogy. There is huge progression in between the albums, but they are of the same ilk.

Just as listening to RAH sounds WAY different to TUF, NLOTH sounds WAY different to ATYCLB, but the U2 trilogy theory is in tact. The progression is logical, and well sustained, pointing us perfectly into chapter 5 of the U2 trilogy saga

its also a coming of age thing. for me personally. listening to 3 discs from a decade that seemed light years away when i first heard u2 in 1987. that's a mind trip. and in 1987. i only slightly knew of new years day, and knew ISHFWILF, and WOWY. and mabey streets. thats it. thats it.

i just listened to all 3 00's albums. going from ATYCLB, to NLOTH, to HTDAAB. not in any order, but did all 3 lead off tracks, and all 3 ending songs back to back to back. and i can say i feel they all sound real good together. feels to me, and i know some people disagree, like a trilogy. So far, barring this other album coming this year, this is the sound of 2000's u2. middle age. Speaking personaly, its come along a LONG way since the days where i knew just the hits off of JT, and then rediscovered them in late mid 90's, not even knowing the impact of AB, and such. its some journey. It all started with just watching the video of ISHFWILF, in 1987. If ur a u2 fan that dates back to pre 2000, and u loved them before that, u should try listening to the 00's albums in a row. I did mixing up the tracks to make it intresting.

Nice post. It is not popular to suggest such a thing in this day and age, but these three albums together are collectively U2's best "threealbumsinarow" in terms of musical consistency and lack of dud tracks.

The first three are let down by Gloria being unfinished, with lyrics stolen and forgotten and the music being beautiful but lacking direction. The second three are let down, I hate to say this about music I love, but The Unforgettable Fire is not an album but an experiment (and a successful one because it bred the Joshua Tree). But TUF is so incomplete apart from its several big guns. Then the next three are let down ever so slightly by Pop's lack of finished product, despite it being in my top 4 albums from the lads.

The 00s trilogy is... all finished, all produced, all songs, all single quality, ballads, rock, a bit of background techno, some reggae influence, back to songs like All Because of You which is an experiment in The Who type rock, 80s nostalgia guitars meets 90s electro rhythm on City of Blinding Lights, all culminating in their best album since Achtung... exemplified again by Magnificant, Unknown Caller, Moment of Surrender and Breathe... with able back up from the title track, Fez Being Born and the rest...

In short, from the first song on All The You Can't Leave Behind, it was a beautiful noise, to the shimmering middle song on How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, lighting up the 00s, to the last song on the truly momentous Horizon, once you have had a breather from all this great music... there is sheer, poetic CONSISTENCY AND QUALITY!

well i also listening to middle 80's albums all in a row. and will the do the same with the other 2 trios. uf-tj-rah brought back alot of memories. or in JT case alot. where it all started for me. i still love all the songs, but didn't quite flow together as a whole. not as good as this decade. At same time, when i do these things, I've been doing 1rst,3rd,2nd album when i go track to track. and i do the closing tracks to finish it out. and the sequence of MLK/all i want/mothers is pretty awesome. better then 00's. mostly becasuse grace isn't close to any of them. yahew and ceders are great, but grace eh blah.

Back
Top Bottom