How would you rank the lead singles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jphelmet

Refugee
With now hearing Get On Your Boots, how would you rank it among U2's first singles? I have been listening to GOYB all morning, along with the first singles from the last 6 albums. I am only ranking them, by the ones that I was waiting for to come out. So for me its R&H through now. I remember first hearing wowy on the radio but it wasn't a build up waiting for like the others. This ranking, is my initial excitement upon hearing them, not necessarily which are the best songs now.

My list would go:

1. The Fly (hands down far away the best first single for me)
2. Beautiful Day
3. Desire
4. Vertigo
5. Discotheque
6. Get On Your Boots
7. Numb

I really like all of these songs, and like GOYB and I am really excited about NLOTH. This song is just didn't quite live up to all the hype. Its not bad, but I just don't see as above any of these others.

1. Beautiful Day
2. Vertigo
3. Desire
4. Discothèque
5. Get On Your Boots
6. Numb
7. The Fly

I don't think this is going to have the same impact as Beautiful Day and Vertigo did. It's simply not as catchy as those two. It's a fun song, maybe some djs will be playing it on nightclubs, I'm sure radio will give it a good amount of air time but it's not that huge hit of a song like the first singles from the last two albums.

By the way I'm saying this based on what I think of singles not based on which of those I like the most.

In the UK, the Fly, Beautiful Day, Vertigo and Discotheque all went to number one. I expect GOYB to do the same.

Though I agree with you about the Fly being my fave, I would say vertigo did a better job for promoting the album (as the fly was a bit of a shock to the U2 system)

Discotheque was great as a stand alone single, but as we know, to the masses, the album was an issue.

And I'd put Get On Your Boots above Beautiful day as well

Though I agree with you about the Fly being my fave, I would say vertigo did a better job for promoting the album (as the fly was a bit of a shock to the U2 system)

The fly is my favorite, and I was mesmerized my that song for a year at least. It also introduced the new U2, and was perfect intro for Acthung Baby. A very different time, but I think The Fly was unique blend of a killer song (that has stood the test of time), and enough novelty (maybe wrong word) to be a good first single.

Vertigo, may have done a better job, but that had a lot to do with the Ipod commercials and all the cross promotion.

I'll only rank the last three because I haven't heard the other opening singles in their respective function, only later as part of the album :

1. Vertigo
2. BD

3. Boots

1) Beautiful Day- I became a U2 fan by hearing this song endlessly on the radio in late 00/early 01. I think it was the perfect song to capture a new generation of fans. I agree with whoever it was in here who said that BD might be their best lead single they've done.

2) Boots
3) Vertigo

I got into U2 right after R&H

So my first lead single was The Fly, and not only that, but my first exposure was the premiere of the video, so not only was the sound shocking but the look was even more shocking...

I thought Numb was weak weak weak as a single, I realize what they were trying to do with it but it would have been great if it just stayed on the album...

Discotheque decent song, shitty lead off single.

BD good strong single, it's not a song I listen to all the time for I got a little burned out, but great lead off single.

Vertigo was fun, and as a lead off single it was good for Bomb, but I don't really care for the song and I hope it really doesn't stay on their setlist.

Boots, it's always hard for me to make judgements this soon, like so many things in life time is the true test maybe this is just a honeymoon phase, but so far I really like it. It's fun and political, very layered, but like Disco and Vertigo it seems like it really won't be that indicative of the album, which is fine they don't always have to...

Don't forget New Year's Day, Pride, or With or Without You as great first singles. I think Boots is quality, but it is still too hard to tell how much so. To me it sounds like the modern version of Pop!

1. WOWY - It wasn't a matter of living up to anticipation. I had known about U2 since War, but had never owned an album. But when I heard this, my musical world changed. Paradigm shift change.

2. The Fly - Wtf was this?? Damn that was cool.

3. Beautiful Day - Lived up to all hype and expectations

4. Vertigo - Great lead off. Still a great song and *maybe* second only to Streets live. Overplayment hurt it. But call it a victim of its own success.

5. Desire - Not nearly as good as the big 3 from JT, and you could tell a not so welcome change was coming with R&H, but still a good song

6. Discotheque - Ummm, cool guitars and bass. But yeah, they went too far with this one.

7. GOYB - I'm not as devastatingly disappointed as I was with Numb. But this isn't what I was expecting/hoping for in a lead off. Great bass, and the percussion ending is really cool. Hate most of the 60's era garage band drum fills and the lyrics are, well, candy floss. I don't hate it, mind you. Just not amongst their best. I don't think this will have the culture carpet bombing effect that Vertigo or BD had. But maybe that's a good thing. I do think this will sound dated quickly, as Elevation already did as early as 2005. However, should be fun live.

8. Numb - Yikes. Man, that let down was epic.

I have only been around as a U2-fan since 1994, so here's my ranking from:

GOYB :drool:. It truly rocks!! :hyper:
Discotheque - remember thinking: wtf - but still liked it.
Vertigo - thought it was ok, but a bit to simple
BD - very disappointed - thought it was soooo 80's and too sugary. I kind of like it now - but mainly as a live song.

Here is the ranking of the singles that I was a part of when I heard them initially on the radio:

1. Discotheque
2. Get On Your Boots
3. Vertigo
4. Beautiful Day

But here is my ranking of all them based on opinion:

1. The Fly
2. Numb
3. Discotheque
4. Get On Your Boots
5. With or Without You
6. New Year's Day
7. Fire
8. Out of Control
9. Vertigo
10. Desire
11. Pride

(1)12. Beautiful Day (not even close to Pride)

1. The Fly
2. Beautiful Day
3. New Year's Day
4. With Or Without You
5. Discotheque
6. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
7. A Day Without Me
8. Desire
9. Vertigo
10. Fire
11. Numb
12. Get On Your Boots

"Boots" is quite good, the rest are classics.

1. Pride
2. Beautiful Day
3. The Fly
4. With or Without You

the rest are too close to choose. GOYB is a good song but will not be considered a classic in 10 years time like the 4 above

1. Pride - UF (one of my favorite songs by any band ever)
2. New Year's Day - War (Bono's still learning to sing, but great lyrics and lead song)
3. Vertigo - HTDAAB (fun, catchy rocker - perhaps U2's best ever in this category)
4. With or Without You - JT (haunting, powerful ballad)
5. Get On Your Boots - NLOTH (this may change, but I like how different it is, without being "fluff")
6. The Fly - AB (close to "Boots" - different and set the tone for ZOO TV, but not quite as accessible as "Boots", IMO)
7. Desire - R&H (strong solid single, but doesn't leap out - just a classic rock song)
8. Beautiful Day - ATYCLB (I didn't think this would be a hit - glad to be proven wrong)
9. Numb - Zooropa (might have ranked higher if it weren't video only)
10. Discotheque - Pop (would have made a great second single, but doomed the album and U2's rep as the first single as it was deemed too "fluff")
11. A Day Without Me - Boy ("I Will Follow" would have been the better choice)
12. Fire - October (a weak lead single that didn't help the album)

Get On Your Boots is so new -- it's hard to know how to rank it yet. But this is a fun exercise.

1. Beautiful Day -- It's been my favorite U2 song for almost 9 years. Euphoric, catchy, beautiful, inspiring -- it's the perfect U2 song.
2. With or Without You -- This one took a few listens to get it when it first came out, but it was a timeless, revolutionary song for the times. It sounded otherworldly.
3. Pride (In The Name of Love) -- Like many others, I may be a bit bored of the song now, but it was pretty astonishing when it first came out. It sounded so fresh. It also has huge meaning to me because MLK is one of my heroes.
4. Vertigo -- Energetic, fun, catchy as hell.
5. New Year's Day -- One of the first U2 songs I ever heard. I love the tune, but think Vertigo is more fun.
6. Desire -- I put this above The Fly simply for sentimental value.
7. The Fly -- This song sounded so different, so unusual for U2 when it first came out. I fell in love with the song and it was one of my favorites for a long time. I'm not sure why, but it hasn't had as much staying power with me as some of the others. I still like it a lot, but I don't feel the same passion for it.
8. Get On Your Boots -- I'm totally infatuated by this song right now, and feel comfortable ranking it above the rest of the list, but I'm not ready to move it higher than this right now. That might happen with the passage of time, but it's so new, so fresh, that I don't trust my initial reactions. It's the song on this list that I most want to hear right now, though.
9. Discotheque -- Great song, great energy, lots of interesting things going on sonically.
10. Numb -- A fun novelty that I haven't listened to much lately. Now if Stay were the first single from Zooropa, it would almost give Beautiful Day a run for its money.
11. A Day Without Me -- This was a single? I like the song well enough, but it doesn't seem to belong on this list.
12. Fire -- How does that song go again?

1. Beautiful Day
2. New Years Day
3. With or Without You
4. The Fly
5. Vertigo
6. Pride
7. Desire
8. Get On Your Boots
9. Discotheque
10. Numb
11. A Day Without Me
12. Fire

1) The Fly
2) Beautiful Day
3) Discotheque
4) Vertigo
5) Numb

I can't really rank GOYB if we're talking about it as the lead-in to an album. Since I haven't heard the album yet.

1. New Year's Day
2. With Or Without You
3. The Fly
4. Beautiful Day
5. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
6. Get On Your Boots
7. A Day Without Me
8. Desire
9. Fire
10. Discotheque
11. Vertigo
12. Numb

Or maybe 7th behind Day Without Me

1. Get On Your Boots (no, it's NOT because it was released yesterday.)
2. With or Without You
3. Pride (In the Name of Love)
4. Vertigo
5. Discothèque // The Fly
6. Desire
7. Beautiful Day
8. Numb
9. New Year's Day
10. Fire
11. A Day Without Me

I'm lazy... but if anyone wants further explanation...

1. With Or Without You
2. Beautiful Day
3. The Fly
4. Get On Your Boots
5. New Years Day
6. Pride
7. Vertigo
8. Discotheque
9. Desire
10. A Day Without Me
11. Fire
12. Numb

Hmm, I vaguely remember 'With Or Without You' and 'Still Haven't Found...' when they were brand-new radio hits (hard to imagine now), but U2 was still a bit off my radar when I was 11 years old. I do remember when 'Desire' came out, but I still was not really a U2 fan yet. So, I'll start with 'The Fly', which I remember extremely well -- in fact, I remember my best friend and I watching the first showing of the video on TV...

These are not the order in which I like the songs, but rather the order in which the singles were most successful in. . . er, blatantly commercializing an upcoming album:

1. Vertigo -- Immediate, hard, and catchy. Great video, and the iPod thing (although I have in fact never seen it) seemed to reach a lot of people. Even people who hate U2 would be forced to groove along with this uptempo winner. It built expectations to a fever-pitch and the album landed in at #1 everywhere.

2. Beautiful Day -- I hadn't listened to U2 for five years when this song came out (I didn't even know -- or care -- that they had a new album coming out). I remember exercising in a gym when it came on the radio . . . and I thought it was utter crap. To my amazement, it became a worldwide smash and introduced the band to a whole new generation. (Only after the album was critically-acclaimed and was a hit did I go out and buy it, and even then it took me a while to get into "Beautiful Day", but when I did get it, I really got it.) I now think "Beautiful Day" is a work of genius, and obviously it ate pop radio alive, but I'm still stunned by its success because it sounds pretty second-rate on the radio. You can't hear bass & drums on the radio, and those are two of the three things that make this song excellent (the other being the lyrics, and most people aren't paying attention to that either on radio). Go figure!

3. The Fly -- From the fans' perspective, this is maybe the greatest lead-off single ever, because it totally changed people's expectations and perception of U2, and in a very good way. In one 4-minute stroke, it cut U2 off from the hoards of bands who had died along with the 80s (Simple Minds, Tears For Fears, INXS, etc.), and put them at the forefront of the emerging 90s scene of alternative rock, demonstrating that they were survivors and that they were still very relevant (I admit I had my doubts before the album came out). But it wasn't a huge hit in most territories, being a little too left-of-centre for most American radio-listeners, so I can't rank it higher than this. . .

4. Numb -- I seem to rate this one higher than many of you; again, it's probably because of "my generation". To the alternative kids of the early-mid 90s, this was U2's coolest song ever, showing them to be edgy (no pun intended) and in sych with the times, not caring overly for big, slick radio songs, which was all good. The video for this song is a total classic. Edge was such an icon at the time that i remember being at a Halloween party at some college in 1993 (I was 17), and my best friend was mistaken for Edge even though he wasn't wearing a costume. . .

5. Discotheque -- This one failed to galvanize the masses. It's a tremendous song in many ways, but as with all the songs on the LP its production/arrangement had some issues, and it could have sounded a lot better if they hadn't spent 2 years mixing it. In retrospect, I do think the 2002 remix (on the Best Of) is way superior to the original (to some of you that's blasphemy, but there you go). The unforgiveable thing about this track is the video, which immediately ruined the song for me for about the next 5 years.

(Too early to tell for 'Get On Your Boots'. I'm just listening to it now for the first time, and it's not exactly blowing me away, but I assume it will be a grower. . . They're such a venerable corporation at this point, though, that they don't even need a big single.)

Back
Top Bottom