How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb 10th Anniversary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's a great album.

Sadly for it, being album #10, it means that we had already heard most of their tricks (illusions, Michael) before.

But when played in shuffle with the rest of U2's catalog, those songs had nothing to be ashamed for among U2's best.

Also, I think the track listing could've been a bit better in this one too.

Then Pride (nothing special), a super weak version of Streets, Bono speech/rambling and then One (for the 10 billionth time).

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Yeah, WTF was up with this neutered version of Streets?? Such a great concert and the LOW point was what the did to Streets.

The rambling before and after Streets hurt the atmosphere of this song.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I actually hate the live version of LAPOE mostly because I hated the whole political section during the Vertigo Tour.
The segue between SBS-Bullet was sick. But the actual songs....Bullet was the weakest it's ever been on that tour and the solo was cringeworthy. SBS was just annoying and I personally don't like it when powerful songs lose their meanings.

Exactly, embarrassing moments

The performance they done of LAPOE in an empty stadium is my favourite version of the song. Think the performance was for the hurricane katrina relief fundraising? Oh and Bono about took his eye out throwing the drum sticks down at the end!

Sent from my GT-P3110 using U2 Interference mobile app

The performance they done of LAPOE in an empty stadium is my favourite version of the song. Think the performance was for the hurricane katrina relief fundraising? Oh and Bono about took his eye out throwing the drum sticks down at the end!

Sent from my GT-P3110 using U2 Interference mobile app

???

LAPOE is the 2nd song from HTDABB that I really got into. I still like it. The title and "where is the love?" coda are goofy, though.

It was a great live song.

Shame about the lyrics though.

It was a great live song.

Shame about the lyrics though.

Exactly. I always dug the production side of it (maybe the best produced song on the album), but the words are "Stand Up Comedy" territory...eventually, I went from not liking the song mostly because of the lyrics to thinking it was one of the high points of the Vertigo Tour.

Quick question since people were bringing up lighting on the Vertigo Tour. I weirdly recall The Edge seeing footage of "Elevation" and thinking it was very "Disney"....I had thought the same thing myself from the first Vertigo show I attended. Anybody know why that is? I'm assuming it's just the sort of light blue color scheme that evokes DisneyLand or whatever...

A few more thoughts...

1) It's totally weird that the better parts of the Elevation and Vertigo tours were the Arena shows, yet the stadium DVDs totally surpass their counterparts. Vertigo Chicago just isn't very interesting (poorly directed) and lacks the emotional heft of some other shows on that tour (it isn't helped by all the stagey mini-sets which became predictable very fast).

2) U2 were probably more well known in this era than they have ever been. Think about it...how many hundreds of millions of people witnessed iPod commercials that had no idea who U2 or Bono were at that point? I mean, if you aren't into English-language pop music, you probably have never heard this band before if you're someone who lives out in the woods in deeper South America...but those ads were absolutely omnipresent on television.

2) U2 were probably more well known in this era than they have ever been. Think about it...how many hundreds of millions of people witnessed iPod commercials that had no idea who U2 or Bono were at that point? I mean, if you aren't into English-language pop music, you probably have never heard this band before if you're someone who lives out in the woods in deeper South America...but those ads were absolutely omnipresent on television.

In my experience:

If you aren't into english-language music, you won't care about U2 no matter how many adds they made, no matter how many Zoo TV tours they make, nobody who's not into english-language music will care about them or even acknowledge their existance (i.e. I don't expect you to know who the Banda El Limón is, no matter how big they may be somewhere else in the world).

Also, if you're into english-language music, chances are that you're into english-language ROCK music, not pop. (The genious of pop is that it's easily accessible... is hardly accessible if it's not even in your own language).

Finally, if you're into english-language rock music, you already know U2, you don't need ipod commercials.

In my experience:

If you aren't into english-language music, you won't care about U2 no matter how many adds they made, no matter how many Zoo TV tours they make, nobody who's not into english-language music will care about them or even acknowledge their existance (i.e. I don't expect you to know who the Banda El Limón is, no matter how big they may be somewhere else in the world).

Also, if you're into english-language music, chances are that you're into english-language ROCK music, not pop. (The genious of pop is that it's easily accessible... is hardly accessible if it's not even in your own language).

Finally, if you're into english-language rock music, you already know U2, you don't need ipod commercials.

No need to be bitter with each other. It does not matter how or why they are known and loved, because they ROCK

Watching the raw footage version of the 2009 Rosebowl show, and damned if COBL didn't make my heart beat a little faster. Even though I recognize that it isn't their most profound or innovative work, it will forever fill me with that soaring feeling that all the best U2 songs do, and remind me of the amazing times I had during the Vertigo tour. Miracle Drug has the same effect on me.

Does anyone else love Yahweh?
Everyone thinks it sucks.
It's one of my favorites of the last 15 years. Is it the blatant religious content? Or do people just think it sucks?
I don't understand all the hate.

It's the corniest album song they ever did, and Yahweh knows there is some competition in that department.

A few more thoughts...

1) It's totally weird that the better parts of the Elevation and Vertigo tours were the Arena shows, yet the stadium DVDs totally surpass their counterparts. Vertigo Chicago just isn't very interesting (poorly directed) and lacks the emotional heft of some other shows on that tour (it isn't helped by all the stagey mini-sets which became predictable very fast).

The Chicago DVD is partly because of direction and partly because it was shot too early in the tour. Originally the Chicago shows were scheduled for much later in the tour, approximately a month. They had already scheduled the DVD shoot for Chicago. They were still working out the lighting, songs, and setlist order when they shot the DVD. They did long soundchecks working on songs that they should have had down by that point and small lighting details that would have also been worked out already.

I like the earlier shows, more raw versions, some setlist tweaking. But for the official DVD shoot they should be at the point of having those details done. I think the Chicago DVD suffers partly as a result of that.

It's one of my favorites of the last 15 years. Is it the blatant religious content? Or do people just think it sucks?

Fave song on the bomb by a country mile!

I was surprised to see people hating this song in this boards, I really love it (same with Grace).

I don't think is the blatant religious content, since I think Wake Up Dead Man is loved by many around here, so I don't think is that.

I like the alternative version more, anyway.

The Chicago DVD is partly because of direction and partly because it was shot too early in the tour. Originally the Chicago shows were scheduled for much later in the tour, approximately a month. They had already scheduled the DVD shoot for Chicago. They were still working out the lighting, songs, and setlist order when they shot the DVD. They did long soundchecks working on songs that they should have had down by that point and small lighting details that would have also been worked out already.

I like the earlier shows, more raw versions, some setlist tweaking. But for the official DVD shoot they should be at the point of having those details done. I think the Chicago DVD suffers partly as a result of that.

True. I mean If they had have filmed and released the Boston shows (So obviously they weren't going to release two DVD's from the same city) at the end of the first leg we probably would have got a better performance. However I don't think its the bands fault, more so the directing and editing that makes the Chicago DVD probably the worst live show the band have released.

True. I mean If they had have filmed and released the Boston shows (So obviously they weren't going to release two DVD's from the same city) at the end of the first leg we probably would have got a better performance. However I don't think its the bands fault, more so the directing and editing that makes the Chicago DVD probably the worst live show the band have released.

Like I said, I agree, that direction was definately part of it. Too many jump cuts every 2 seconds. I also HATE that they mixed the audio of two shows together, sometimes within a song. Don't do that! Most of the DVD is the show on the 9th. The show on the 10th was better IMO. I think they tried to shoot some different angles and lighting on the 10th and ended up thinking the 9th looked better at most points in hindsite. I do know

One more interesting tidbit, despite the long soundchecks and lighting issues U2 still worked on new material and rehearsed Please for a good 30 minutes. They literally soundchecked for 2 1/2 hours prior to the May 9th show. Another reason I think Bono's vocals were shot for the 9th. Just a lot of poor decision making really.

Too bad they did not shoot the 4th Chicago show, it was off the charts. Always seems to work that way.

Back
Top Bottom