How Interference Ranks The U2 Discography

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bomb does not contain the shit that is GOYB, SUC, & IGCIIDGCT

Bomb does contain COBL, which is better than every song on NLOTH except MOS.

Therefore, BOMB > NLOTH

That shit is still superior to the weakest song on Bomb.

Magnificent is everything COBL wanted to be so desperately : an updated vintage U2 sound brought into the future. And MOS and Magnificent are better than COBL.

1. War
2. Unforgettable Fire
3. Achtung Baby
4. Boy
5. No Line On the Horizon
6. Zooropa
7. Pop
8. Joshua Tree
9. October
10. Passengers
11. ATYCLB
12. HTDAAB

I don't consider Rattle and Hum an actual album.

Well since we're taking our shots at the list, I'll have my go!

1. The Unforgettable Fire
2. The Joshua Tree
3. Achtung Baby
4. War
5. Boy
6. October
7. Zooropa
8. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
9. No Line on the Horizon
10. All That You Can't Leave Behind
11. Pop
12. Rattle & Hum

Bet ya wont find an odder ranking than mine :)

Oh, you would.

But I don't vote in these threads any more. Suffice to say that AB, TUF and NLOTH are in my top three (not necessarily in that order) and JT does not make the Top 5.

it had nothing to do with Eno having too much control. it had everything to do with U2 being at their most creative peak.
I didn't know they wrote the Passengers tracks during the second half of the 80s?

AB
TJT
Zooropa
TUF
NLOTH
Boy
War
Pop
HTDAAB - A great group of songs, though some of the best material is left unreleased, and the mixing/overproduction and lack of cohesion stunt its potential.
R&H - I typically rank this lower because it contains a lot of previously heard material and it's U2 trying on a genre instead of pushing one forward, there are some gems on here to be sure though.
October - It's rough, but it is perhaps the most heart-on-their-sleeve and spiritual they've been, vastly underrated, but something's gotta be near the bottom.
ATYCLB - take away Elevation, & Wild Honey, add in TGBHF, Levitate and swap in the acoustic Stuck, and you've got a U2 classic, as it is, it's too safe.
Passengers - AFN, YBR, and MS are transcendent, the rest are diversions at best

Magnificent is everything COBL wanted to be so desperately : an updated vintage U2 sound brought into the future. And MOS and Magnificent are better than COBL.

Magnificent was better as a beach clip with waves crashing in the background. The album version doesn't really go anywhere, unfortunately, though live its still a pretty decent song. The remixes are awesome. MOS is a great song, probably the only great song on NLOTH.

My list is a little unorthodox:
1. Pop - glorious. Energy, angst, searching it has it all. I'm certain 20 years from now it will be regarded as the last great U2 album.
2. War - the record that really defined what U2 are (were?) all about.
3. TJT - this is where they hit their peak musically
4. AB - of course.
5. Passengers - the only time they totally abandoned all commercial concerns and made their least self-conscious record. And it's great
6. Zooropa
7. Boy
8. R&H
9. October - perhaps their most spiritual record?
10. TUF - never liked it. This was U2 going to art college and getting too trippy.
11. NLOTH - they had no compass, they had no map. And they got hopelessly lost.
12. ATYCLB - so calculatingly commercial, it should have come with a sticker saying "It's OK to like us again! We've got rid of the lemon, honestly!"
13. HTDAAB - dad rock at it's worst.

U2girl said:
Instrumentals being the operative word, rather than songs.

Passengers is what happens when Eno gets too much control. With Lanois together, they're (despite lack of progress on NLOTH) a perfect match for U2. Eno alone, not so much.

U2girl said:

I completely disagree with every word of these posts, wow.

But Passengers you do?

:scratch:

Yes I do! Considering it wasn't a messy hodge podge of original studio songs and live cuts with an interlude featuring a Harlem street musician {I wonder if the poor soul got any proceeds, but I digress} and even though they chose to use a psuedonym for Original Soundtracks Vol. 1, it is still all four members of U2 playing on it. If only they would have trimmed all the excessive fat off Rattle and Hum and just kept the studio songs, I think my list would have been different.

My list is a little unorthodox:
1. Pop - glorious. Energy, angst, searching it has it all. I'm certain 20 years from now it will be regarded as the last great U2 album.
2. War - the record that really defined what U2 are (were?) all about.
3. TJT - this is where they hit their peak musically
4. AB - of course.
5. Passengers - the only time they totally abandoned all commercial concerns and made their least self-conscious record. And it's great
6. Zooropa
7. Boy
8. R&H
9. October - perhaps their most spiritual record?
10. TUF - never liked it. This was U2 going to art college and getting too trippy.
11. NLOTH - they had no compass, they had no map. And they got hopelessly lost.
12. ATYCLB - so calculatingly commercial, it should have come with a sticker saying "It's OK to like us again! We've got rid of the lemon, honestly!"
13. HTDAAB - dad rock at it's worst.

other than what you say about TUF, this is a good list.

But Passengers you do?

:scratch:

Well, they're both sold as such, and Passengers sounds more organic and cohesive than R&H does, by far.

People seem to forget that there are albums without the U2 name stamped on them; that it isn't a requirement for consumption and classification. Some of those bastard albums include Thriller by Michael Jackson, and Nevermind by Nirvana. There are more examples too, if you would like me to list them for your convenience.

Bomb does not contain the shit that is GOYB, SUC, & IGCIIDGCT

Bomb does contain COBL, which is better than every song on NLOTH except MOS.

Therefore, BOMB > NLOTH

I would reverse the thinking and say that GOYB/SUC/CT are definitely bad enough to be on Bomb. They wreak of Atomic Bomb. Forced, sterile, boring. That means they sit perfectly alongside other stellar moments of U2 At Their Worst, such as Miracle Drug, All Because of You, Yahweh, Love and Peace (and on and on and on). COBL is definitely its strongest track, and the only one I like at all really - shame about the album mixing.

Meanwhile, NLOTH, Fez-BB, WaS, CoL, MoS, UC, Breathe = NLOTH>Bomb, by some significant margin.

(IMO!)

Breathe is definitely blunt and bombastic (har har) enough, and that chorus, but it would stand out too much for being... good.

1. Achtung baby
2. the Joshua Tree
3 The Unforgettable Fire
4. Boy
5 Passengers
6. Zooropa
7. Pop
8. October
9 NLOTH
10 War
11 Rattle and Hum
12 ATYCLB

13 HTDAAB

Or how about the entire album from Fez sessions? From those behind the scenes videos, interviews and beach clips, that really could have been their 3rd masterpiece.

Yes I do! Considering it wasn't a messy hodge podge of original studio songs and live cuts with an interlude featuring a Harlem street musician {I wonder if the poor soul got any proceeds, but I digress} and even though they chose to use a psuedonym for Original Soundtracks Vol. 1, it is still all four members of U2 playing on it. If only they would have trimmed all the excessive fat off Rattle and Hum and just kept the studio songs, I think my list would have been different.

But Passengers is just a hodge podge of Eno instrumentals, a few U2 tunes, and a Howie B song.

Regardless of the intermixing of live and studio, R&H is U2 and actually has more new U2 tunes than Passengers does.

Well, they're both sold as such, and Passengers sounds more organic and cohesive than R&H does, by far.

People seem to forget that there are albums without the U2 name stamped on them; that it isn't a requirement for consumption and classification. Some of those bastard albums include Thriller by Michael Jackson, and Nevermind by Nirvana. There are more examples too, if you would like me to list them for your convenience.

No need for a list, but I would like you to maybe explain that last thought and the context to which it stands in this conversation.

There's a lot more U2 in Rattle and Hum than there is in Passengers, which wasn't a U2 album in 1995 and is not a U2 album now. The latter being half instrumentals, Eno songs with various guests and maybe Miss Sarajevo and Your blue room being legitimate U2 songs.

BVS said:
No need for a list, but I would like you to maybe explain that last thought and the context to which it stands in this conversation.

My point is that any reason for classifying Passengers as a non-album (as opposed to what?) would be as absurd as saying that it isn't an album because the U2 name isn't on it. So I argued that there are non-U2 albums and I succeeded. #winning

Of course, you probably meant U2 album, but that isn't what you said.

U2girl said:
There's a lot more U2 in Rattle and Hum than there is in Passengers, which wasn't a U2 album in 1995 and is not a U2 album now. The latter being half instrumentals, Eno songs with various guests and maybe Miss Sarajevo and Your blue room being legitimate U2 songs.

I'm not going to argue with you, because beating myself senseless with a 2x4 is typically more fulfilling than most of these arguments and I'm not in the mood for that today either, but your definition of a U2 album makes TUF a Passengers project, in essence. What's the threshold for instrumentals before it crosses over into Passengers territory? 3? 4? And is Eno only allowed to contribute a maximum 35% of the material?

But, moreover, I don't see how its classification has any relevance whatsoever to its quality, and years and years of repetitious arguments about its place in the U2 catalogue haven't changed anything or made the topic any more relevant.

Back
Top Bottom