Grace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like New York a lot. ... Anyway, I think the music in New York is awesome. Lyrics are alright, I think it works better if you live in or around new york or have been exposed a lot to NY (me living 90 minutes away from NYC helps.)

I've *really* been digging New York lately. It's got such a cool vibe, and such a great range of dynamics. Same with Miami.

Grace, Wild Honey, When I Look at the World and Peace on Earth are among the handful of U2 songs that have never resonated with me. I just find them exceptionally bland. :shrug:

New York does have a cool vibe. The intro, with Eno's foghorn synth, really sets the nighttime mood. It's a calm before the storm. And you can't deny the power of Edge's overdubbed guitar attack during the choruses. I think Bono's lyrics, while not genius, are at least effective at times. The first and last verses in particular contain some great lines: "...to drown out the other voices, voices on the...etc." "you can forget, forget how to sit still, tell yourself you will stay in..." "i lost it all to you and your vices" "i hit an icerberg in my life"....the song is really telling a story about some guy who up and left wherever he was from, and tries to find himself in NY. The 2nd verse with the "irsh italians jews hispanics" line kinda kills the mood. Too much of bono trying to say something big about New York, when in actuality the song has more to do with the character than actually being about the city itself.

Wild Honey is a great breezy pop tune that always reminded me of Van Morrison for some reason. I think its a timeless mini-classic. not in the big league of U2 songs, but enjoyable nonetheless.

If i were to pick out songs on ATYCLB that seem kinda just..."there"...i would say WILATW (despite having a killer solo, its filler) and POE (despite having some dark effective lyrics, its the one song that musically comes close to just being flat out 'boring').

IMO one of the best songs on the album. And it connects nicely to Beautiful Day (1st song on the album.)

You thought you'd found a friend
To take you out of this place
Someone you could lend a hand
In return for grace

I love how U2 connects their songs on albums- it's like a journey.

I feel White as snow (and possibly even more so Cedars of Lebanon) is everything U2's slow song on the first two 00's albums tried. Atmosphere, slow but not dull-slow, good execution lyrically.

Exactly. I love WAS.

When a band that has album endings as brilliant as
- Love is Blindness
- Shadows & Tall Trees
- Mothers of the Disappeared
- All I Want is You
- Wake Up Dead Man

Grace just doesn't cut it (and neither does Yahweh).

Chocky, how could you not count in 40 and Is that All? I also love Yahweh and COL.

Grace is one of my most listened to U2 tracks...that's how much I love it...easily one of my favorite songs....

In terms of album placement, it's perfect, and I love the way New York ends with that Bono's faint "neeeww yoooorrrk" then grace comes in so smoothly...so good.

Is this a playlist, or an inequality? If it's a 'greater than' kind of thing, I like all 3, but I'd have to reverse it completely.

Nah, it was just a chronological progression. You could (and should) probably throw Cedars of Lebanon in there too.

- Love is Blindness
- Shadows & Tall Trees
- All I Want is You
- Wake Up Dead Man

Well, when you put it like that.......Glad you put Shadows in there, a much underrated song.

Grace isn't in the higher echelons of U2 album closers, but it's still decent.

Ozeeko, I love your description of New York, I've always loved that song, though I think WILATW is good, it's not as good as a lot of people say....

- Love is Blindness
- Shadows & Tall Trees
- All I Want is You
- Wake Up Dead Man

Did you really mean to leave out MLK and 40? Wow.

MLK, 40, Grace and Yahweh close their albums very nicely. Grace and 40 are IMO the 2 best closers.

Grace reminds me of one of those sorta-crappy instrumentals dug out of the vaults for the reissues, only to have lyrics and vocals tacked on that sound completely out of time and out of context with the material.

I would take Disappearing Act over Grace though, easily.

I love "Grace". I wouldn't call it an absolute top favorite, but I think it sums up what U2 is about and what they're trying to put into the world better than any other song.

If we're talking about closers, COL, LIB amd WUDM are definitly my top 3 (no order).
Together with Yahweh, Grace is their worst closer.

Grace on it's own merits: I love it.

Grace stacked up against other album closers, in my order of best to worst:

1. All I Want Is You
2. Mothers of The Disappeared
3. Love Is Blindness
4. 40
5. MLK
6. Wake Up Dead Man
7. Grace (TGBHF would have been better, tho)
8. Yahweh
9. The Wanderer

dreadful:
10. Is That All (Scarlet would have been perfect, Tomorrow also)
11. Shadows and Tall Trees (An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart or The Ocean instead)
12. Cedars of Lebanon

*1-3 can vary day to day ;)

Is that allowed? I mean to be a member of Interference and not at least own every album?

:sexywink:

The thing is, where do we draw the line? Like, it's not allowed to not own an album, okay. But what about the other stuff?

I have to make a confession: I don't own the 17th remix of "Even Better than the Real Thing"!

(collective gasp from the forum)

may i ask why? it seems this is quite divisive, this song.

I just don't like the song, period, and think that White As Snow would be a more fitting closer. Hell, even Fez, another song I can't stand, would be a better closer. I also don't like the other 2 closers (Is That All and Shadows And Tall Trees) that made the bottom 3 of my list. :shrug:

I think the reason I like CoL as a closer is that it just ends so quietly and suddenly. Grace seems to go back and forth for me. Some days I really hate it and consider it a low point on ATYCLB, but some days I can really appreciate the subtleness of it and the mood and actually enjoy listening to it. It makes me think of lazy summer afternoons, of some reason.

may i ask why? it seems this is quite divisive, this song.

:yawn: < that's all I feel when I hear that song. It ends NLOTH abrubtly, while I feel it should've gone out with a bang(read: NLOTH2).

Figures I don't like Grace either. It could've been a good song but it just drags on and on for way too long.

Back
Top Bottom