Excited by Bono's voice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monsieur fly

War Child
Is anyone else excited to hear Bono's voice on the upcoming album and tour? I know I am. I'm a sceptic by nature but even I think it's back (at least in part) to how it sounded in '93. My one worry is that it'll grow ragged as the tour goes on but on the whole I am very upbeat. He did Pride very well at the inauguration and that crooning quality seems to have come back. Any thoughts?

yes I'm fucking excited! Thanks for this....after that negative bullshit about relevancy, I needed this....that thread started to depress me for some dumb reason... I have no idea....anyway, hell yeah I'm excited....there's a freshness to his voice that I haven't heard since Pop, but now it's muuuch stronger than Pop....so yeah....and everytime I listen to BC4 (magnificent) I imagine how it's going to sound on the album, and sometimes I get shivers just thinking about it....."ooooooooooh oooooooohhhhhhhhhhhooooooo....ONLY LOVE!!!"

Bono has always had a great voice. Personally, I think his voice was best during the The Unforgettable Fire/Joshua Tree/Rattle and Hum/Zooropa/Pop period - his voice has sounded a bit rusty on the last two albums - but I can see what you mean. It sounds like there's more power in it.

agree with the positive stuff, and whilst that ordinary america song still makes me shudder, I concur that Bono's voice sounded extraordinary . . . so looking forward to hearing the rest of the album and (fingers crossed) all the new songs live :love:

He sounds pretty good now, but I remain convinced that he'll never get his lower register - the one so prominent on songs like New Year's Day, With Or Without You, All I Want Is You, etc - back. I haven't heard him sing in that lower register in anything U2 has released, studio or live, since I became a fan in 1998.

He sounds pretty good now, but I remain convinced that he'll never get his lower register - the one so prominent on songs like New Year's Day, With Or Without You, All I Want Is You, etc - back. I haven't heard him sing in that lower register in anything U2 has released, studio or live, since I became a fan in 1998.

Ever heard of A Dying Sailor To His Shipmates?

Yeah he sounds fantastic at the moment. I thought when he performed pride at obama celebration he should've sung it more like the vertigo tour in 2006 rather than his old bad habits but still it was great!

I'd like to hear some fat lady voice again, err I mean his falsetto the way it was used in the 1990's. Not easy I know, but it'd be fun to see him break out in that voice again. Also his falsetto at the end of With or Without you is sounding a little weak compared to the Pop days - maybe something he can work on? Practice makes perfect. :wink:

Come on people, who are you trying to kid? It's never going to sound like it did in 1993, it's just not possible. The thing you should be hoping for is that he keeps himself in shape. He has been known to let himself go, so the real question about his voice will be whether or not he tires out quickly during the shows. Also, we know they're into pitch correction now (see crumbs from your table live fiasco) so maybe they'll have that ironed out and he'll sound better enhanced.

Bono sounds better now than he did at any point since Passengers... actually, I'd say his voice sounds kinda similar to his Passengers voice, except with better range. I'm really impressed (ahem, Peter) by his range nowadays... by far the best it has been since TUF.

His voice does sound absolutely incredible. The thing that has me excited about the upcoming album/tour is that it doesn't seem to be a fluke. Really since the final leg of the Vertigo tour, his voice has been on. Pretty much everything he's done since then has kept me optimistic. :up:

Come on people, who are you trying to kid? It's never going to sound like it did in 1993, it's just not possible. The thing you should be hoping for is that he keeps himself in shape. He has been known to let himself go, so the real question about his voice will be whether or not he tires out quickly during the shows. Also, we know they're into pitch correction now (see crumbs from your table live fiasco) so maybe they'll have that ironed out and he'll sound better enhanced.

what? pitch correction? has this been confirmed? :sad:

Bono has a unique voice. Some people hate it and some love it. I think he sounds better right now than he has done in years. One of the great things about him as a singer is that he can sing all kinds of songs and his voice is always fitting. I think we'll hear some great examples for his new and improved voice on the new album, especially in the slower, more epic songs. I would love to hear him sing more in his lower register again, we all know he can do that and has done it several times in recent years. Live I want to hear some opera moments again.

I'll also allow myself a PLEBA moment here and say that I think he also has a very sexy speaking voice. :drool:

:wink:

what? pitch correction? has this been confirmed? :sad:

Just let the haters whine because they don't like the topic of a thread. Bono's voice is a very controversial topic among fans, but if you like it, then you shouldn't let yourself be distracted by what someone says who clearly loves to spoil any even remotedly positive discussion.

He sounds about the same as on Bomb to me. His voice on the chorus of Boots is grating to my ears though. I really hope not to hear any more of that on the album.

Ever heard of A Dying Sailor To His Shipmates?

poster91482127.jpg

Seriously though, I will agree that Bono's sounding good again. Popmart, Elevation and early Vertigo tours were just :yuck: at times. 5th leg Vertigo, on the other hand, and the more recent performances, give me plenty of hope for some amazing performances in the future.

Oh I'm not sure. I know that you mean- his voice did sound "compressed" for a while with both the top and bottom of his range contracting but I could hear some that deep crooning on the last vertigo leg.

I'm no idealist, my friend, but I do think his current voice sounds like his Zoo Tv croon. The depth is back and so is much of the smoothness. Have a little faith.

I'm not sure if he sounds like he did in '93, I think he has absolutely different voice which is hard to compare to any other era.I think he sounds better than he did in '93. I think that in 93 his voice started to decline, get weaker as the ZooTV was nearing its end.

What are you talking about?
Is this a fiasco?:

YouTube - U2 - Crumbs From Your Table (Vertigo New York)

god, it wouldve sounded so much better if they would just have removed the whole lyric after would you deny for others what you demand for yourself, the whole cool now mama part should have been nixed and just simply left instrumental until the chorus where he starts with 'you speak'. bono needs to learn or relearn how to let the music breathe. and the edge couldve done so much more

Back
Top Bottom