Does the Edge have the Edge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That was funny! :lol:

I love how well Edge has incorporated effects into most of U2's songs - and both he and the other members of U2 know it (back in the early days, other members of U2 asked Edge NOT to use the "echo" effect (delay) as much). I think that was around "War" and indeed on that album, we don't hear that effect as much. Of course, but UF it was back in full force and many of U2's classics are built around that sound ("Pride", "Streets", "Bad", "In God's Country", etc.).

But even I've joked that without the effects U2's sound is drastically different. I have a few friends who play guitar and they try to emulate Edge's sound. I've asked them to turn off the effect for songs like "Bad" and it almost sounds like that silly "Jingle Bells" version. LOL!

When Edge truly doesn't use the effect, songs also stand out ("One", "The First Time", etc.). In other words, today, Edge's effects have created the classic sound, but his lack of effects have also created some beauties as well. And that versatility has allowed U2 to remain relevant for three decades.

Still, I did laugh at the video. :up:

The Edge is the only bona fide virtuoso musician in the band. While skits like Baileys are funny, and there is an element of the truth in them, I think the Edge has proven he is more than capable of other styles of music. I think he could make a living as a session blues player if he wanted, but he'd probably find it boring.

Not the world's biggest Bill Bailey fan but I really do enjoy this skit. It does have an element of truth in it- that there is that distinctive Edge sound that everyone associates with him and U2 in general.

Bill Bailey for the win.

Now go make some more Black Books with Dylan Moran. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom