Completely random love for No Line on the Horizon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can see the experimental side of the album with NLOTH and FEZ. If they would've stayed with that sort of sci-fi sound that those 2 had, it could've been amazing.
Btw, am I the only person who gets a sci-fi vibe from those songs?.....maybe I'm crazy.

I totally get what you're saying. I think lots of the rest of the album has that element as well, with lots of beeps and boops that make me think sci fi computer. I dig on this, being a huge Rush fan and fan of nerdy concept albums in general. :applaud:

I love 7 songs on this album, which is more than I can say for the two that preceded it, but man, what a missed opportunity for true greatness.

Should have stuck with the "Eno Knows Best" philosophy and not brought in Lillywhite.

:up:

Cedars of Lebanon s up there with their best work. NLOTH, Magnificent, FEZ-being born and MOS are pretty bloody brilliant too.

Can someone love both NLOTH and SOI?

I don't think so

It's just human nature to bash the previous album while praising the new one rather than just give credit to the new album (if you like it) without having to criticise previous work to do so.

Actually, it was the other way for me... I didn't liked No Line at first, was heavily disappointed by NLOTH when it came out... but now that I loved SOI, I gave No Line another chance and with some tracklisting adjustments I'm actually loving it.

Not just that, I'm not bothered anymore by Boots or Stand Up, is like thanks to SOI that couple of songs are not that a big deal anymore (since they're not their latest release)... it's like SOI has been an apology and now I'm free to laugh (and enjoy) at that time when they included that b-side in the album and released that lead single. They're not that bad and the rest of the album is pretty good.

No Line!

'I watch her changin' everyday for me, yeh'

WOAAAAH oooh WOOOAHHH ooooo WOOAAAHH OOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

All the Lanois-Eno songs are pretty good. The LillyWhite ones are subpar compared to the rest of the album

I am down for another Lanois-Eno production although SOI was fantastic.

No Line is a solid U2 album. Stand Up Comedy gets a lot of abuse. I dig the music more than the lyrics. Same thing with Boots. MOS is my favorite track followed closely by Magnificent and Fez. Breathe and No Line are also strong tracks. I really dig Snow and Cedars too. I thought Cedars was the perfect coda for the album. I'll admit, I'm an easy mark, though. Where ever U2 has gone musically, I have followed. I bought two shirts and saw two shows for the 360 tour. Giants Stadium in 2009 and MetLife Stadium in 2011. Good times! :up:

I'm in the process of listening to the album for the first time in ages. I remember beating it to death when I first got it. Loved it, then faded into memory with Magnificent & MOS being the two great takeaways.

Now on this listen I agree with general consensus that 5-6-7 are just just disruptive to the Fezish ambiance of the rest of album. Crazy Tonight is a pure piece of pop candy, but too much sugar will ruin your meal. Boots is too rap-rock with bad lyrics, The chorus is more interesting and has a non-conventional vibe to it. Couple other interesting sonic moments in Boots. SUC is just a mess, but has a couple interesting moments in the bridge guitar solo. Just wish they could have another crack at Boots and SUC, maybe turn one of them into the first single-anthem the album needed.

Fix the bad lyrics in UC, find a place for Crazy, Replace Boots and SUC with a bold soaring anthem and maybe a Fez like rocker. And you have a Classic album.

I like the album a lot and the atmosphere, artwork, Linear film etc.

But the dreaded three middle songs always seems to be the issue, so I redid the album for iTunes etc, added Winter (Linear) and got Sexy Booties out of the way quickly as track 2 and said byeee to SUX. I don't mind Crazy Tonight, so it gets a 'Side 1' placing.

This 'version' of the album has a sort of rock vs atmosphere vibe to it. I remember reading an interview with R.E.M. about Green and how they wanted the original sequencing for the album to be one part guitars and the other part stripped acoustic based songs but eventually broke it up.

Anyway, I like this version a lot.

SIDE 1
No Line On The Horizon
Get On Your Boots
Magnificent
Breathe
Crazy Tonight

SIDE 2
Unknown Caller
Moment Of Surrender
White As Snow
Winter
Fez-Being Born
Cedars Of Lebanon

White as Snow is one of my favorite songs ever. It gets me every time I listen to it, I can totally connect to this song, it's simply beautiful. Overall, I love NLOTH, maybe the second half a bit more than the rest.

That's really closer to how it should have been recorded, such a misunderstood song.

I just listened to that Letterman version again. What's the difference from the album version anyway aside from that intro? The intro sounds a bit different but otherwise it sounds the same... at least from my work computer speakers here at low volume.

I actually don't mind the album version of this song too much. Yes, the middle 3 (or really) 4 songs are my least favourite on this album but Crazy Tonight is my favourite of those 4. Something like this:

1. Crazy Tonight
2. Unknown Caller
3. Stand Up Comedy
4. Get On Your Boots

The worst thing about Crazy Tonight though, is that atrociously long official song title that makes no sense whatsoever!

Maybe they'll play this version live on the new tour...I hope so. I'm a big fan of this song.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Nope. This is U2 radio friendly autopilot, with too much lyrics and cheesy middle 8.
It´s a good song, but the tribal mix is how it should have been done.

No Line is a fantastic album and easily makes my Top 3. Of the three that seem to get the most flak, the only one I genuinely don't like is Stand Up Comedy - Crazy Tonight is a bit out of place, but it's not bad, and Boots is :drool: I don't think it should have been the lead single, but it's a kick ass song.

On that note, I don't even think it's that out of place atmospherically. It has all the weird synthy things and electronic ambience that define the other two thirds of the album and it's even tied in thematically with the references/snippets in Fez and Cedars. The only difference I see is that it's a lot angrier and more in your face than the rest. The two around it make it seem more jarring and out of context than it actually is.

That's my opinion, at least :lol:

In other words, I can't fault it all except for Stand Up.

No Line is a fantastic album and easily makes my Top 3. Of the three that seem to get the most flak, the only one I genuinely don't like is Stand Up Comedy - Crazy Tonight is a bit out of place, but it's not bad, and Boots is :drool: I don't think it should have been the lead single, but it's a kick ass song.

On that note, I don't even think it's that out of place atmospherically. It has all the weird synthy things and electronic ambience that define the other two thirds of the album and it's even tied in thematically with the references/snippets in Fez and Cedars. The only difference I see is that it's a lot angrier and more in your face than the rest. The two around it make it seem more jarring and out of context than it actually is.

That's my opinion, at least :lol:

In other words, I can't fault it all except for Stand Up.

:up:
Exactly, I can only add Comedy is not an helpless song on its nature like for example Miami or Some Days, but there are too much ideas in there, it sounds too forced and the ending ooohs are awfully annoying.

Back
Top Bottom