Boston dvd....Edge mad during Gone..?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glennjamin

The Fly
What was up with The Edge at the end of Gone...? Slams down his axe then kicks it...? Anyone ever find out what happened? Dude is usually calm and mellow. :hmm:

From u2faqs.com:

23. Why is the Edge slamming his guitar to the ground at the end of "Gone" during the June 2001, Elevation Boston DVD?

During a web chat The Edge answered this question from a fan by saying "Because we murdered the song."

That night in Boston it was evident that The Edge was having trouble with his guitar. From the perspective of being in the crowd in the heart it appeared that The Edge was unhappy with Larry ending the song earlier than The Edge had planned. After the incident with the guitar The Edge could be seen having words with Larry over at the drum kit. [M2, AS]

I was in the heart also that night, standing just a few feet away from The Edge and from my perspective I did see him go to Larry but it seemed he was having sound issues even before this song because I remember Dallas appearing a few more times than just between songs.

I apparently dont see problems with the guitar in this song...

i guess they fixed it up in post production maybe? i personally never noticed his tantrum but then i havent watched this dvd in at least 10 years. i'm interested in showing my gf this dvd

Someone posted here once that the reason the song sounds fine in the DVD is because the DVD is from a combination of two nights' performances. So the DVD shows the "good" performance of gone, but they put in the bit with Edge throwing his guitar because it looked badass.

Pretty sure the audio in the dvd is taken from a different night, though. Not sure where I heard it, so it might be BS. Also, Gone sounded amazing regardless.

It is. The footage mostly shows him playing the black replacement guitar that he used on night 2 (the one he threw is red) , but if you got to U2 torrents and try to get the audio from night 1 Gone is not available because it's part of an official release. I think it's really interesting that after being so unhappy with the performance, they decided to use the audio anyway. I wish they had just used both video and audio from that night because I think it sounds great.

Pretty sure the audio in the dvd is taken from a different night, though. Not sure where I heard it, so it might be BS. Also, Gone sounded amazing regardless.

The guitar smash is from night 1 when they filmed as a kind of rehearsal but night 2 is what the majority of the DVD is from. (some bits from night 1, most noticably parts of Gone are interspliced in the DVD but its mostly night 2)
If you watch Gone you'll notice Edge's guitar switch between red and black, because he used a different guitar on night 2 after smashing night 1's guitar.

I was in the heart also that night, standing just a few feet away from The Edge and from my perspective I did see him go to Larry but it seemed he was having sound issues even before this song because I remember Dallas appearing a few more times than just between songs.

You must have been right near me.

Kind of off subject, but did the band ever state why 'Breathe' was missing from the Rose Bowl Official release? I know it wasn't the best intro but the beginning feels so generic without it.

Kind of off subject, but did the band ever state why 'Breathe' was missing from the Rose Bowl Official release? I know it wasn't the best intro but the beginning feels so generic without it.

I think they were unhappy with the video quality of Breathe.

Something about the "10 inch cockatoo" line or something. Breathe never should of opened the tour i mean cmon now.

Ten inch cockatoo seems plausible, except they edited that out of the bonus track version of Breathe anyway.

Back
Top Bottom