Boots Dropped from KC's The Buzz after 3rd day...but Ting Tings is number 1?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Fan101

Refugee
This is why I don't think I'll ever fully understand or appreciate radio stations.

This is currently 96.5 The Buzz in Kansas City top 35 played songs. It appears that for the most part the station appreciates good music, based on the top 35. It would also appear that U2 would nicely into this format, yes?

After talking with one of the DJ's there, Jason Ulanet, he says that Get On Your Boots is the worst lead-off single U2 has done since Discotheque. He also says it's one of U2's worst songs. Now, giving the benefit of the doubt that may not be one of U2's better songs, wouldn't you think that it's better than at least some of the songs on the Top 35? For instance, The Ting Tings. That's Not My Name annoys the effing hell out of me and I think Get On Your Boots walks all over that crap song.

I just don't get radio stations. Maybe it's because The Buzz is alternative, and U2 isn't really alternative so it doesn't fit the format. What's ironic is Jack FM and Mix 93.3 are playing Boots a hell of a lot more and I think Mix 93.3 is more of a crap station that the Buzz.

And no, I'm not pissed or mad about the fact that I'm not hearing U2 on the radio, I just don't understand radio stations, formatting and their decision of not playing a song because they think it's bad, and then their number one song is one of the most annoying things i have heard in YEARS. :down:

1. That's Not My Name - The Ting Tings
2. Consoler of the Lonely - The Raconteurs
3. Sex On Fire - Kings of Leon
4. Spaceman - The Killers
5. You Don't Know Me - Ben Folds
6. Kids - MGMT
7. Grapevine Fire - Death Cab For Cutie
8. Something Around Midnight - The Airborne Toxic Event
9. Kristy, Are You Doing Okay? - The Offspring
10. Let It Die - Foo Fighters
11. Use Somebody - Kings of Leon
12. Brother - Pearl Jam
13. Troublemaker - Weezer
14. The Feel Good Drag - Anberlin
15. Something Is Squeezing My - Morrissey
16. The Perfect Boy - Cure
17. Dirt Room - Blue October
18. The Lightning Storm - Flogging Molly
19. Wrong - Depeche Mode
20. I Like You So Much Better - Ida Maria
21. The Rat - Dead Confederate
22. Pale Bride - The Von Bondies
23. You're Gonna Go Far, Kid - The Offspring
24. Desolation Row - My Chemical Romance
25. Life in Technicolor - Coldplay
26. Gamma Ray - Beck
27. Geraldine - Glasvegas
28. No You Girls - Franz Ferdinand
29. Ghost Town - Shiny Toy Guns
30. I'm Not Over - Carolina Liar
31. Audience of One - Rise Against
32. Love Hurts - Incubus
33. Violet Hill - Coldplay
34. Buildings & Mountains - The Republic Tigers
35. Hammerhead - The Offspring

After talking with one of the DJ's there, Jason Ulanet, he says that Get On Your Boots is the worst lead-off single U2 has done since Discotheque.

Insinuating that Discotheque is bad automatically makes his opinion null and void.

God that song drives me nuts. I always want to do the 80's head bop finger snap to it. :crack:

Ting Tings are fucking shit. The fact that they're making number one on radio lists OUTSIDE THE UK is just plain worrying. As for Kansas City I now know them to be U2-unfriendly territory after reaing the best/worst crowds thread :wink:

I just don't understand radio stations, formatting and their decision of not playing a song because they think it's bad, and then their number one song is one of the most annoying things i have heard in YEARS. :down:

1. That's Not My Name - The Ting Tings

I like that song. :uhoh: :reject:

oh no, a DJ in Kansas City hates GOYB!!!

onozomg.gif

"That's not my name" kicks Boots tiny little behind, leaves it bleeding on the street, kicks it again and walks away whisteling it's catchy chorus with a smile on its face.

That song is everything Boots should have been. A catchy single :wink:

Ting Tings supporting U2? :rockon:

uh... that's not my name is a hundred times more interesting than get on your boots.

the only thing that i don't get is the fact that this ting tings song is actually quite old. just how far behind the times are radio stations in kansas? good grief.

the song kicks ass live too: YouTube - The Ting Tings - That's Not My Name (Live)

honestly, do everyone a favour and not say this song sucks.

uh... that's not my name is a hundred times more interesting than get on your boots.

the only thing that i don't get is the fact that this ting tings song is actually quite old. just how far behind the times are radio stations in kansas? good grief.

the song kicks ass live too: YouTube - The Ting Tings - That's Not My Name (Live)

honestly, do everyone a favour and not say this song sucks.

I've heard this song for awhile, too. But it's only recently been getting more airplay.

I am dying to see them at the Paradise next week. :(

i really should emphasise that the ending in that clip makes the song. much stronger than off the album.

it's pretty mental.

honestly, i want the author of this thread to watch the clip i posted and tell me it's not a better song than any of the others that are on that particular radio station's play list.

it's not that i think boots is a bad song, quite the opposite actually... i've said it before, that "let me in the sound" bridge is absolutely fantastic. you're just not going to do yourself any favours by blasting one of the best singles from 2008 in the process.

I'm just jealous that you have a radio station that plays all those kinds of songs with those artists. Here there's nothing on the radio except "Womanizer" on repeat...but hey, some people like that song. :shrug:

"That's not my name" kicks Boots tiny little behind, leaves it bleeding on the street, kicks it again and walks away whisteling it's catchy chorus with a smile on its face.

Ting Tings supporting U2? :rockon:

I tend to listen to alternative radio on Sirius, but l hadn't heard this. So a quick YouTube check and I listened.

Sorry, Bonochick, :reject: but what the f was that?

Maybe I need to hear it a few more times, but that song made GOYB seem like a classical Beethoven masterpiece in comparison.

[sarcasm] But I am truly upset - a DJ doesn't like GOYB. [/sarcasm]

The good news is that when I gave my friend NLOTH as a gift, the first thing he said is how much he really likes GOYB. And guess what - he hadn't heard it before.

Maybe if dumbass DJ's played songs that their AUDIENCE wants to hear and not use their personal biases to select playlists, we'd have better music all around. :up:

That's Not My Name is just as bad (good) as Boots. It has less going on musically and just as little going on lyrically (which is saying a lot considering Boots lyrics). Designed to be a catchy radio hit, something U2 gets lambasted for. The let me in the sound part of Boots though is much more interesting than the entire Ting Ting song, to me.

That's Not My Name is just as bad (good) as Boots. It has less going on musically and just as little going on lyrically (which is saying a lot considering Boots lyrics). Designed to be a catchy radio hit, something U2 gets lambasted for. The let me in the sound part of Boots though is much more interesting than the entire Ting Ting song, to me.

GOYB at least has a double meaning, while "Name" is pretty obvious. And for people who like rock, at least GOYB has that great rift. And everyone loves that "let me in the sound" part.

But you're right, if U2 try to be catcy (see "Discotheque" or "Elevation"), fans and DJ's blast them. Gee, didn't the Beatles make a career out of songs like "I Want To Hold Your Hand", "She Loves You" and later, "All You Need Is Love" and "Yellow Submarine". I don't ever recall them getting blasted for having a catchy song.

I tend to listen to alternative radio on Sirius, but l hadn't heard this. So a quick YouTube check and I listened.

Sorry, Bonochick, :reject: but what the f was that?

:lol:

I actually hadn't heard that song until I was visiting my sister last month. I liked it, so before I left, she made me a mix CD and put that song on it. If I told you some of the other songs on that CD, I think some of you would stop being my friend. :laugh:

Insinuating that Discotheque is bad automatically makes his opinion null and void.

:up::applaud:

Relax - I think Magnificent will be all over the radio soon.

Well, when he sent me his review, he said the first three and the last three tracks were the best things he's heard in years from U2 since Zooropa, and he holds Zooropa in high regards as one of his top five favorite albums of all times. So I think they'll play Magnificent.

Isn't that Ting Tings song (at least) 9 months old?

I've heard it for a long time now. I don't know how old it is in the UK, but I think I've heard it for 6 months at this point.

God that song drives me nuts. I always want to do the 80's head bop finger snap to it. :crack:

:lol:

I hate The Ting Tings and their name! :scream:

And the guy from The Offspring sounds like Weird Al. :crack: :lol:

Thank you. I really think it's her voice that gets to me. I think if she had a better sounding voice the song wouldn't bother me nearly as much.

And while I agree that the singers voice from Offspring is kind of annoying too, I can tolerate them a bit more than Ting Tings. Oh, and that new song "and the drums...and the drums..." and "shut up and let me go!" I think it's just her voice, really.

Ting Tings are fucking shit. The fact that they're making number one on radio lists OUTSIDE THE UK is just plain worrying. As for Kansas City I now know them to be U2-unfriendly territory after reaing the best/worst crowds thread

Actually that would be a very true statement about Kansas City. Honestly, I don't really think any band would call this friendly territory except for country artists.

God, just don't listen to the radio then.

Unfortunately I think I've gotten to the point where I'm going to stop.

I like that song. :uhoh: :reject:

Ehh, I guess it works both ways - I hate Ting Tings and think Boots is great, and other people hate Boots and think Ting Tings are brilliant. Neither opinion is right...except for mine :D I'm kidding :wink:

oh no, a DJ in Kansas City hates GOYB!!

Indeed! It's the end of the world! Oh my god! *I sense your sarcasm obviously*

I will give that song credit that it is catchy and is in my head, but it's a fucking virus like "Hit Me Baby One More Time" was. I knew the lyrics and I hated the damn thing. It just consumes you and you find yourself singing the song or tapping your foot to it when you hate the damn thing. So it did it's job, that's for sure.

i've only heard/heard of four of the songs in that list. i rock. i just stick wif satellite radio, and even then i listen to stations that play older music. so i never expect to hear new U2 (or any other band i like for that matter) on the radio. i did hear two nloth songs on the radio but it was a total fluke. about a month ago, a local station was playing some album cuts from nloth and the restaurant i was at was playing the station.

honestly, i want the author of this thread to watch the clip i posted and tell me it's not a better song than any of the others that are on that particular radio station's play list.

it's not that i think boots is a bad song, quite the opposite actually... i've said it before, that "let me in the sound" bridge is absolutely fantastic. you're just not going to do yourself any favours by blasting one of the best singles from 2008 in the process.

Well, I watched the clip. To be honest with you, I feel that live version of songs (for the most part) are far superior than studio versions. So it sounded better, but I still think it's shit. As I said, I really do believe it's her voice, though she is quite easy on the eyes. :wink:

I'm just jealous that you have a radio station that plays all those kinds of songs with those artists. Here there's nothing on the radio except "Womanizer" on repeat...but hey, some people like that song. :shrug:

Who does Womanizer? And you should request some of these artists if you haven't already. But true, I guess I shouldn't complain.

I love "That's not my name."

So a dude doesn't like Boots. I want U2 to get airplay as much as the next fan, but this is not exactly a tragedy.

True, it's not a tragedy. As I said I'm not mad or pissed about it, it just makes me go :hmm:

Maybe I need to hear it a few more times, but that song made GOYB seem like a classical Beethoven masterpiece in comparison.

[sarcasm] But I am truly upset - a DJ doesn't like GOYB. [/sarcasm]

Maybe if dumbass DJ's played songs that their AUDIENCE wants to hear and not use their personal biases to select playlists, we'd have better music all around. :up:

I agree with you on the Beethoven masterpiece bit. And I like the sarcasm. Again, not mad, but just curious. :) And yes, I agree with that too. I have suggested on numerous occasions that the station needs to let listeners rate the songs since they are playing music for the audience and not the DJ's personal picks.

Designed to be a catchy radio hit, something U2 gets lambasted for. The let me in the sound part of Boots though is much more interesting than the entire Ting Ting song, to me.

:up:

GOYB at least has a double meaning, while "Name" is pretty obvious. And for people who like rock, at least GOYB has that great rift. And everyone loves that "let me in the sound" part.

But you're right, if U2 try to be catcy (see "Discotheque" or "Elevation"), fans and DJ's blast them. Gee, didn't the Beatles make a career out of songs like "I Want To Hold Your Hand", "She Loves You" and later, "All You Need Is Love" and "Yellow Submarine". I don't ever recall them getting blasted for having a catchy song.

:up:

Back
Top Bottom