Boomcha boomcha

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boomcha discotheque

• Love them

Votes: 78 90.7%
  • Larry is the only sane member of the group

Votes: 8 9.3%

• Total voters
I did not like the boom chas and I'm glad U2 redid it and gave us Discotheque (Best of Mix) although I even had to go make a new version and improve that one.

hehee

cheers
u2fly

I think we're kind of over-inflating the "boomchas" (one word or two?) in importance. The 2002 'Discotheque' is much more different from the original than just lacking those "boomchas".

I couldn't care less about the "boomchas" either way. What's weird is that neither the LP 'Discotheque' nor the re-recorded 2002 'Discotheque' sound right. I conclude that there is something unique about the Pop songs in general -- no matter how they play them or re-record them, something is always missing. They're all good songs, but somehow they never achieve orgasm.

Mmm, I don't know, I'm pretty much of the opinion that the album version of Discothèque damn near perfect and the Best Of version comes close to ruining it.

Boom-cha all the way. All the single/best of versions of Pop songs are lesser versions, IMO.

Yes, yes, yes. :up: Discotheque and SATS sound neutered and Gone has some pretty bad, scratchy vocals and also strange vocal timing in some spots.

I love all three songs, but I don't ever listen to the Best Of versions.

A poll? This takes me back.

I can agree that Larry is the only sane member of the group and that I love the boomchas. Not quite sure how to vote in this situation.

Fortunately, you are insane, so I'm sure you voted accordingly. :applaud:

Oh, and I like 'em. That said, I do appreciate the more rockin' version of the song on the 90's "Best Of" too. Maybe I'm also insane. :hmm:

Yes, yes, yes. :up: Discotheque and SATS sound neutered and Gone has some pretty bad, scratchy vocals and also strange vocal timing in some spots.

I love all three songs, but I don't ever listen to the Best Of versions.

Another poll? Yay!

I like the old SATS. The new version just seems unnecessarily long.

I like rockin' Discotheque, but I also like the original - tie.

I like the newer Gone - better vocal mix (more like the live version).

I like the newer Numb - rocks more and Bono/Larry vocals are a bit more dominant.

So overall, I guess new versions win.

Makes me wonder what will finally get U2girl excited. I don't think I've ever seen it happen.

And I have to admit that I do prefer the Best Of mix of Gone. Because it has backing vocals and the guitar parts that were played live. I really miss those when I listen to the album version.

Word. The single version of Please is the worst, I think, with those gratuitous strings that completely alter the tone of the song.

Please got better live, and that version has some of those elements, but then yes, those fucking strings! In what I assume is an attempt to spell.it.out. for people who need over the top drama or they won't notice it, they just dumb it down. Awful. Ruins it completely. And Gone New Mix = Gone Neutered Mix. That version has had it's tone completely changed. So yeah, those are the two I hate the most.

Discotheque - not as good as the original, but some elements of it would have enhanced the original. I'm still surprised that with those two versions and three or so quite different live versions, they haven't been able to nail that one down. It's like they've got a bottle of scotch, a bottle of coke, a tray of ice and a glass in front of them, and it's screaming SCOTCH & COKE! to everyone else, but it's completely befuddling to them. Every now and then they return to it, get up there on stage and put the ice in the coke bottle, pour the scotch into the empty ice tray, throw the glass out and then ditch it again because it doesn't work.

Having another shot at Staring at the Sun I think was worth it, in that I think there is a better song in there than what is on the album, but they didn't find it for the new mix.

Not Pop, but of the new mixes in general, Numb is the only one I really like - or like at all. Practically no (meaningful) changes, and the mix packs way more sonic punch. Blast that fucker in your car or something. Awesome.

I like the Best of remixes better except SATS (adds nothing to the song). Discotheque actually manages to find the riff beneath all the disco fluff on the album, Gone has more punch, Numb has more guitars and more vocals in the mix.

As for single Pop versions, Please. Their best single re-working (with Walk on). It really demonstrates the point Bono often makes about U2 figuring out songs live.

Makes me wonder what will finally get U2girl excited. I don't think I've ever seen it happen.

Her posts imply that she's never smiled. A female Peef, as it were. Maybe they should get together and have perennially disappointed children.

The future:
Peef: [from the other side of the room, getting iced] Fuck you, honey.
U2Girl: You did. I'm pregnant.
Peef: What?
U2Girl: I'm disappointed.
Peef: Me too.
U2Girl: Agreed! Sometimes I forget why I married you.

[later that trimester]

Ultrasound technician: It's a girl!
U2Girl: Oh...really? Ugh...
Ultrasound technician: No, no, wait....it's a boy!

[birthin']

U2Girl: That didn't that hurt much. What the hell?
Bono: SMELL THE BABY'S HEAD GODDAMMIT IT'S GOOD SHIT
Peef: Smells like a uterus. I fucking knew it.

[at his 6th birthday party]

U2Girl: Open your present, son.
Kevin Kolb 2.0: A fucking jump rope? A pink fucking jump rope? At least now I can hang myself.
Peef: Hey-o! *clink*

Two of my musical highlights of 1997 were the WOOOO HOOOOO intro of Song 2 by Blur, and the BOOM CHA outro of Discotheque. I spent that entire year going WOOOO HOOO - BOOM CHA! to everyone (well I was 15 so cut me some slack). 1997 :heart:

Her posts imply that she's never smiled. A female Peef, as it were. Maybe they should get together and have perennially disappointed children.

The future:
Peef: [from the other side of the room, getting iced] Fuck you, honey.
U2Girl: You did. I'm pregnant.
Peef: What?
Peef: Me too.
U2Girl: Agreed! Sometimes I forget why I married you.

[later that trimester]

Ultrasound technician: It's a girl!
Ultrasound technician: No, no, wait....it's a boy!

[birthin']

U2Girl: That didn't that hurt much. What the hell?
Bono: SMELL THE BABY'S HEAD GODDAMMIT IT'S GOOD SHIT
Peef: Smells like a uterus. I fucking knew it.

[at his 6th birthday party]

U2Girl: Open your present, son.
Kevin Kolb 2.0: A fucking jump rope? A pink fucking jump rope? At least now I can hang myself.
Peef: Hey-o! *clink*

:laugh: I forgot what a talent for storytelling you had. That is awesome.

Are you ever going to make new comics? :D

Please got better live, and that version has some of those elements, but then yes, those fucking strings! In what I assume is an attempt to spell.it.out. for people who need over the top drama or they won't notice it, they just dumb it down. Awful. Ruins it completely. And Gone New Mix = Gone Neutered Mix. That version has had it's tone completely changed. So yeah, those are the two I hate the most.

Discotheque - not as good as the original, but some elements of it would have enhanced the original. I'm still surprised that with those two versions and three or so quite different live versions, they haven't been able to nail that one down. It's like they've got a bottle of scotch, a bottle of coke, a tray of ice and a glass in front of them, and it's screaming SCOTCH & COKE! to everyone else, but it's completely befuddling to them. Every now and then they return to it, get up there on stage and put the ice in the coke bottle, pour the scotch into the empty ice tray, throw the glass out and then ditch it again because it doesn't work.

Having another shot at Staring at the Sun I think was worth it, in that I think there is a better song in there than what is on the album, but they didn't find it for the new mix.

Not Pop, but of the new mixes in general, Numb is the only one I really like - or like at all. Practically no (meaningful) changes, and the mix packs way more sonic punch. Blast that fucker in your car or something. Awesome.

I don't think I've agreed with a post as much as I have this one! :up:

Galeongirl said:
:laugh: I forgot what a talent for storytelling you had. That is awesome.

Are you ever going to make new comics? :D

I've switched mediums. Really into novel-writing and screenwriting right now. If I do cartoons again, someone else will be animating them. Which is hardly out of the realm of possibility, if I have anything to say about it. It's my dream.

BOOM-CHA!

the POP remixes show that the album needed more than an added 2 or 3 weeks
it needs rewrites

in the end I don't like any of the remixes more or less than the originals

boom-cha's worked in the original
but are barely a necessity
so I vote the Larry opotion

Back
Top Bottom