Bono to Visit Qatar? / Bono cancels Doha visit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DOHA IS OVER TWO THOUSAND KILOMETRES FROM MUMBAI IN A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT COUNTRY.

The third world is not a fucking homogeneous mass with terrorists lurking behind every corner to launch attacks on insignificant players in global politics such as Bono.

For Christ's sake, Interference! I know you love U2, but let's not over-inflate Bono's importance now.

:bow: Brilliant!

I especially liked this part:

"The third world is not a fucking homogeneous mass with terrorists lurking behind every corner to launch attacks on insignificant players in global politics such as Bono."

:love:

I personally would think it would have less to do with any attack specifically directed at Bono but rather the uncertainty of any travel with the album wrap up so close and terrorist activity that as far as I had heard had NOT been absolutely confirmed to be attributed to internal Indian terrorist especially considering that they were specifically searching for people with British and American passports. Until more is known about who is responsible and what their objectives were I see plenty of reason for the band to ask Bono not to travel until the album is wrapped. But all this is pure speculation. I just don't see it being unreasonable to think the events in Mumbai may have been a factor in his decision to cancel although I doubt it would be the main reason. I think the main reason is trying to finish the album so as not to have it delayed further.

Dana

I personally would think it would have less to do with any attack specifically directed at Bono but rather the uncertainty of any travel with the album wrap up so close and terrorist activity that as far as I had heard had NOT been absolutely confirmed to be attributed to internal Indian terrorist especially considering that they were specifically searching for people with British and American passports. Until more is known about who is responsible and what their objectives were I see plenty of reason for the band to ask Bono not to travel until the album is wrapped. But all this is pure speculation. I just don't see it being unreasonable to think the events in Mumbai may have been a factor in his decision to cancel although I doubt it would be the main reason. I think the main reason is trying to finish the album so as not to have it delayed further.

Dana

world800x400.png

Your line of reasoning is, shall we say, idiotic.

Yes, okay, you and Axver certainly both had an A+ in Geography, now let it be, the issue has been discussed to death and since we don't have any confirmation from anycone concerning the cancellation of Bono's visit I'd say there's no more need to discuss this any further.

Do you have any idea of geography?

Cancelling a trip to Doha because of attacks in Mumbai would be like somebody in New York not taking the subway to work because a train derailed in London.

I'm sure the person has an idea of geography...are you pretending terrorist attacks only happen in one country and could not happen in other countries especially places holding important international conferences?

DOHA IS OVER TWO THOUSAND KILOMETRES FROM MUMBAI IN A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT COUNTRY.

The third world is not a fucking homogeneous mass with terrorists lurking behind every corner to launch attacks on insignificant players in global politics such as Bono.

For Christ's sake, Interference! I know you love U2, but let's not over-inflate Bono's importance now.

Did you get a memo that said that Bono was going to be the only person of importance at the conference?

I'm sure the person has an idea of geography...are you pretending terrorist attacks only happen in one country and could not happen in other countries especially places holding important international conferences?

Terrorist attacks could happen anywhere! Even in Dublin, Ireland! Does that mean Bono should relocate?

Terrorist attacks could happen anywhere! Even in Dublin, Ireland! Does that mean Bono should relocate?

Yeah let's put him in your house,I'm sure he'll be safe there...you seem to be an expert in counterterrorism...aren't you isolated on a small island??

or do I have it wrong.... is it New Jersey??

Didn't we already establish that his trip was cancelled because Rob Partridge died? His friend and employer just succumbed to cancer. That's a reason not to travel. Terrorist attacks not even in the same place as where he'd planned to go are surely not the reason.

Terrorist attacks have happened in Dublin. Bloody Sunday, anyone? Though Belfast is more of a hotbed for the IRA. Belfast is a lot closer to Dublin than Mumbai is to Doha though :wink: Doha's probably safer than Dublin :lol:

Of course, at this rate, if something were to happen in Dublin, Ireland, people in Dublin, Ohio would probably be freaking out :lol:

Yeah let's put him in your house,I'm sure he'll be safe there...you seem to be an expert in counterterrorism...aren't you isolated on a small island??

or do I have it wrong.... is it New Jersey??

:huh: Oh brother! I knew I shouldn't have bothered... but since I'm in it already, I'll reply.

When did I say or imply that he would be safe anywhere or that I'm an expert on counterterrorism? It's just crazy to cancel a visit to Qatar because of a terrorist attack in India... IF that is what happened. That's all I'm saying. Only if somebody bunches the middle east and south asia into one entity would they be scared to go to one of the countries because something happened in another.

Terrorist attacks not even in the same place as where he'd planned to go are surely not the reason.

Terrorist attacks have happened in Dublin. Bloody Sunday, anyone? Though Belfast is more of a hotbed for the IRA. Belfast is a lot closer to Dublin than Mumbai is to Doha though :wink: Doha's probably safer than Dublin :lol:

Exactly! This is why it is ridiculous to speculate that he cancelled his trip to Doha because of the attack in Mumbai!

Yes, okay, you and Axver certainly both had an A+ in Geography, now let it be, the issue has been discussed to death and since we don't have any confirmation from anycone concerning the cancellation of Bono's visit I'd say there's no more need to discuss this any further.

Thanks, Mod...

There could be an entirely different reason for Bono's cancelation. If Bono is there in person he must make a lot of noise about the rich countries not committing to their promises and such. Well, maybe at this moment in time with a financial crisis that might not get the attention it deserves and/or piss off too many people. With a new U2 album coming up that might not be the smartest idea.

On a sidenote: if Bono was scheduled to be in Quatar on Dec 1, we can loose all hope for U2 being involved in the launch ow Red Wire I'm afraid :(

Exactly! This is why it is ridiculous to speculate that he cancelled his trip to Doha because of the attack in Mumbai!

I think I read Sarkozy was the only G8 leader to attend, so it's not like the other G8 meetings. However, now that 5 star hotels are a new target for terrorists, I think anyone who stays in them regularly needs to think twice. I think I read hotels in other countries increased security as well.

I HOPE this has to do with the album.

Doesn't sound very Bono-like to me, to cancel such an important event.

I hope he's okay (seriously).

Yeah.......

Do you have any idea of geography?

Cancelling a trip to Doha because of attacks in Mumbai would be like somebody in New York not taking the subway to work because a train derailed in London.

:lol:

ah crap......
lost part of post-- reworking>>>

Well the analogy's a bit off... :hmm:

It's more like in terms of distance either New York City to Iceland OR Iceland to London.

*puts up blastshield*

Well, there will probably be other MORE important people there, so maybe he deicided it was too shakey a circumstance at this time......:shrug:
Everyone (generally speaking) has the right to decide what's best for themselves..........

Is Axver okay?

Define 'okay'.

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom