Bono in 1987: "The Joshua Tree" will not be our best

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Y2K

Refugee
I found this quote from a 1987 interview with the Orange County Register to be pretty funny, in hindsight.

OCR: Don't you think The Joshua Tree is a great record?

Bono: Well, I said to the Edge the other day that if people think this is our best record, they're making a big mistake. We haven't written our best record yet; we have a lot to learn along the way. I think it's our best record to date, but it will not be the peak of U2 by any means. I'm only 26, and Edge is 25, and I think we're slow starters.

I personally think Achtung Baby is the band's best (which would technically make him correct in my book)... but I found it to be a very interesting quotation. Is he right? Wrong?

Was he right? Yeah, Bono was probably only 26 and Edge 25.

And artist will never want to state this is their peak, for then it's all downhill after that.

What is "being the best"? It's a question of opinion, so we can equally argue he was or wasn't right.

In my opinion he was right, The Joshua Tree is a great album, but not their best, not even their second best, we had to wait to listen to those, but, of course I know many people think the contrary.

What I find more fascinating is that we can have such a debate and more than three albums are likely to appear in the conversation, that says a lot more to me.

personally, i think all their 90's work and TUF is better than the Joshua Tree album.

they learned a lot since
but sheer brilliance has never struck as regularly as it did during that period ever again

he was right though

He was right, AB is their best, and I agree with his recent comments that state similar beliefs: they still have their best work in them... the problem is they're a lot more gun-shy nowadays than in the 90s.

I think this comment could be debatable, but in my honest opinion this album could be Bono's best vocal work. not to leave out Pride and Bad or any other great vocal work prior to 1987, but this is Bonos best vocally. I say the rest of the band were in top form as well, nothing to complain from the rest of the guys.

they still have their best work in them... the problem is they're a lot more gun-shy nowadays than in the 90s.

I agree there. Bono said it himself in "Summer Rain"-

"When you stop taking chances/ You'll stay where you sit"

I wish they'd take more chances and try a different sound. Something that would amaze us or even possibly confuse us.

About the quote from Bono, I agree. JT is my 2nd favorite to AB. Although some of the b-sides and unused tracks from JT are really good. Like "Walk To The Water". You never really have your best work until you are done. When you're band can no longer go. You can come up with your best work at anytime.

I think it's their best album.

Not only that, it was probably their most productive album as far as songwriting's concerned. The B-sides are all phenomenal. Walk To The Water, Deep In The Heart, Spanish Eyes, Luminous Times...even Sweetest Thing sounds great.

Not only that, it was probably their most productive album as far as songwriting's concerned. The B-sides are all phenomenal. Walk To The Water, Deep In The Heart, Spanish Eyes, Luminous Times...even Sweetest Thing sounds great.

Easily their best album!!

B sides have to factor in here.

I think Bono was right in part- they certainly TIED JT with AB, but they did not top it. For me it is:

1.)JT
1.)AB
3.)War
4.)UF
5.)NLOTH

He was right, AB is their best, and I agree with his recent comments that state similar beliefs: they still have their best work in them... the problem is they're a lot more gun-shy nowadays than in the 90s.

but he wouldn't say AB is their best either.

their best album now is NLOTH.
their best album 3 years ago was Bomb.
three years before that it was Atty Club.

I think Bono was right in part- they certainly TIED JT with AB, but they did not top it.

I agree with this, personal preferences aside. I think the two albums are pretty much dead equal, and while they continue to make brilliant albums, I don't think they have quite matched the brilliance of those two since.

I think that TUF is very, very close...but having come before JT, I suppose that's irrelevant to this discussion :)

Like many others, I would consider Joshua Tree and Achtung to be their best studio works. So, yeah, I guess they matched JT three-and-a-half years later.

In retrospect -- though it was also evident at the time, I suppose -- the general period of 1986 to 1992 was U2's peak in almost every way: commercially, artistically, musically, performance-wise, cultural relevance, etc. Though Rattle & Hum was a pompous, overblown film project (thanks Paul McGuinness), I maintain that if you strip it down to 9 or 10 studio tracks (and get rid of the cinematic release for the movie, which made the band look rather foolish) you have another studio album that's almost as good as JT or AB.

While there is a certain "pure" quality to their pre-JT work that I occasionally prefer (some of the sonic textures on Unforgettable Fire in particular are unique and wonderful), and while their "experimental" side obviously got a greater showcase circa 1993 to 1998, for me it is clear that roughly 1986 to 1992 was U2's peak.

So, Bono was both right and wrong. They were just into their peak period when he said that... they wouldn't beat it, but they did match it.

but he wouldn't say AB is their best either.

their best album now is NLOTH.
their best album 3 years ago was Bomb.
three years before that it was Atty Club.

:lol::lol:

This.

It is so true, and true as it is, it was painful to hear Bono's opinions repeated by some critics when ATTYCLB and Bomb were being reviewed! I love both albums much more than most here, but JT? AB? War? UF? Boy? Come on, neither hold a candle to any of those.

I will try and find the review that says U2 came up with a record better than BOTH JT and AB in HTDAAB!!

Doesn't the edge say this too in one of those ZOO TV documentaries? He says their best work isn't behind them it's in front, that would include Achtung Baby as well. I hope he's right but as each new album is released my hopes get slimmer and slimmer...

He was wrong.

They never matched the same thematic tightness, songwriting quality and the sequence of the songs on album.
And that's not considering the best B-sides of their career...

Unless they release another masterpiece, The Joshua Tree will be considered by music fans worldwide(not U2 fans) as the ban's best record.

Unless they release another masterpiece, The Joshua Tree will be considered by music fans worldwide(not U2 fans) as the ban's best record.

obviously TJT is very popular among U2 fans, possibly the number 1 but AB and TUF run it close if not are slightly more popular, outside of U2 fandom TJT is the clear favourite.

agreed. I sometimes wrestle in my head if I like Achtung or Zooropa or The Joshua Tree or even No Line more the best. Then I listen to the Joshua Tree and the B-Sides and it's game over.

I like The Joshua Tree but I don't think it's anywhere near as good as AB and Pop so I agree with young Bono here.

Back
Top Bottom