Bono at Georgetown: Revealing Mastery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redhill

Refugee
Webcast: U2’s Bono Speaks at GU Global Social Enterprise Event - Georgetown University

Bono's speech impacted me greatly. I found it extraordinarily impressive as well as revealing in regards to his talents.

1. He barely ever looked at his notes. For someone who forgets his own lyrics, this was amazing to me.

2. He is a world class public speaker. I won several local and competed in state public speaking competitions growing up and was blown away by his ability to communicate.

3. His mastery of the subject matter.

4. His passion on the subject.

5. His depth of knowledge on the subjects he speaks on. He is clearly one of the most knowledgeable people on the planet in regards to extreme poverty and Africa's struggles.

6. His vocabulary. At this point, he has exceptional command of the english language.

7. His ability to influence and motivate people.

On a lighter note, I also thought his quick peace sign waves before and after the speech were hilarious. Almost like he has been doing the peace sign for so long that it is like a quick and signature gesture now ;]

Regardless of what negative things some people say about Bono or U2's music, it is unquestionably irrefutable that he is a remarkable and gifted man.

It is all of our responsibility to do the best we can with our own lives so that we can be in a position to help others who are less fortunate.

The man has a gift, for sure. Many, in fact. I really enjoy watching his speeches. Passion + humor + knowledge + charm. The same characteristics that make him so captivating on stage.

I think they did have TelePrompTers set up, hard to tell if or how much he used them, though.

Webcast: U2’s Bono Speaks at GU Global Social Enterprise Event - Georgetown University

Bono's speech impacted me greatly. I found it extraordinarily impressive as well as revealing in regards to his talents.

1. He barely ever looked at his notes. For someone who forgets his own lyrics, this was amazing to me.

2. He is a world class public speaker. I won several local and competed in state public speaking competitions growing up and was blown away by his ability to communicate.

3. His mastery of the subject matter.

4. His passion on the subject.

5. His depth of knowledge on the subjects he speaks on. He is clearly one of the most knowledgeable people on the planet in regards to extreme poverty and Africa's struggles.

6. His vocabulary. At this point, he has exceptional command of the english language.

7. His ability to influence and motivate people.

On a lighter note, I also thought his quick peace sign waves before and after the speech were hilarious. Almost like he has been doing the peace sign for so long that it is like a quick and signature gesture now ;]

Regardless of what negative things some people say about Bono or U2's music, it is unquestionably irrefutable that he is a remarkable and gifted man.

It is all of our responsibility to do the best we can with our own lives so that we can be in a position to help others who are less fortunate.

This was my exact reaction after watching him deliver his speech at the National Prayer Breakfast on Feb. 2, 2006.

:bow: Pretty much in awe of his abilities there.

lol I love hearing Bono rip on progressive rock (though I disagree with him) purely because we can be certain that he hates Rush as much as the rest of us.

You guys covered it all regarding his public speaking abilities, but might I add that he looks really good.

:lol: That!

But yeah, he has a way of speeching. He could be reading the phone book aloud, and I'd still listen attentively. Mad charisma and a pleasant voice.

lol I love hearing Bono rip on progressive rock (though I disagree with him) purely because we can be certain that he hates Rush as much as the rest of us.

False. I ripped the audio, played it backwards, and embedded in Bono's speech are the messages "The lyrics and drumming of Neil Peart inform the very fibre of everything U2" and "Morrissey was spot on about the next tour"

I'll post it up, later.

Good speech. Watched it last night.

I like how he ends on that badass note, quoting the Tahrir Square guy, with the look in his eye and all the passion of one of his old Sunday Bloody Sunday rants, and he pounds the lectern and is ready to walk off the stage in that big rock star moment...and then the other dude tells him "Wait, you have to answer questions now!"

For big geeky fans like all of us, it's interesting to hear him again quote a lot of his own lyrics in the speech.

He used lines that he also used in Cedars of Lebanon, Crumbs From Your Table, and even Rise Above 1 from the Spider-Man musical!

Also, the shout-out at the very end to Andrea Corr is funny.

I just wish he'd upgrade his glasses to something a little more sophisticated looking, something that actually suits him better! As good as he is on stage and at the podium, it can still be hard to take him seriously just because of those.

Amazing speech. Loved his impersonation of Bill Clinton, and how casual he was with the crowd. Looked so badass when he was going to walk offstage at the end of his speech. Rock stars preaching capitalism. :wink:

=

He used lines that he also used in Cedars of Lebanon, Crumbs From Your Table, and even Rise Above 1 from the Spider-Man musical!
QUOTE]

Axver better put this on U2gigs.

1. Speech (Cedars of Lebanon snippet), (Crumbs from your table snippet), (Rise Above 1 snippet)

Back
Top Bottom