Biggest WTF reactions to your favourite U2 songs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No mind-boggling ones, no, just fucking stupid and ignorant ones.

The ones that annoy me the most are when I play a song that I fucking adore and the response is like "yeah sounds good so what have you been up to lately?" it's like who gives a fuck what's happening in my life appreciate the goddamn magic going on right now.

Sadly, most people don't get as excited about music as of those of us who post on band message boards. That's why they don't put more effort into discovering music than turning on a radio or leaving Pandora on in the background. It's really not surprising that the average person's taste in music blows.

Last edited:
No mind-boggling ones, no, just fucking stupid and ignorant ones.

The ones that annoy me the most are when I play a song that I fucking adore and the response is like "yeah sounds good so what have you been up to lately?" it's like who gives a fuck what's happening in my life appreciate the goddamn magic going on right now.

Sadly, most people don't get as excited about music as of those of us who post on band message boards. That's why they don't put more effort into discovering music than turning on a radio or leaving Pandora on in the background. It's really not surprising that the average person's taste in music blows.

Yes. What LM said. Most people simply don't get as excited about good music as we do.

A friend of mine heard Where The Streets Have No Name and tried telling me it was a cover and that the Pet Shop Boys did it first.
Oh, and a co-worker heard Take Me To The Clouds Above and said it's better than the original With Or Without You.
Both those statements are surely deserved of a loud WTF?

Most music in popular culture where U2 want to be is absolutely intended to be background filler - go listen to top 40 radio every day then youlle see why U2 arent being talked about anymore.

Top 40 radio in the 80s and 90s was at least listenable, now its absolute trash.

What in the sweet hell are you talking about?

"Background filler"?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Music today is written to be disposable and ultimately forgettable, and that was one of the points of the Pop album ultimately people never got that point though.

Pop music of today is no better then elevator music, a diluted form of what it used to be.

Music today is written to be disposable and ultimately forgettable...

Pop music of today is no better then elevator music, a diluted form of what it used to be.

No it's not, you're just generationally biased. I hate it when people say "music back then used to be so much better." It's a stupid argument.

Music today is written to be disposable and ultimately forgettable, and that was one of the points of the Pop album ultimately people never got that point though.

Every generation says this about the generation after; you're just repeating the same close minded mistakes of the generations that condemned rock music, yelled disco sucks, or said rap has no redeeming quality. It's a close minded argument to always think pop music is written to be disposable.

Yup. Which is why most people, if you ask what kind of music they like, answer something like "oh, I dunno, I listen to pretty much everything". :doh: To me, that means you don't actually listen to anything, you just hear whatever is on and have not developed actual musical taste. It's just... indifferent. When compared to foods, how weird would it be if you'd ask someone about their favourite dish and they said, eh, I just like about anything.

I can't even respond to an idea that music is written to be filler. Just GTFO with that shit.

This is not exactly on topic either but close:

2009- Mom- "what concert are you going to?"
Me-"U2"
Mom-"Oh that bunch of black guys"

Is your mom Jimmy Rabbitte?

Do you not get it, lads? The Irish are the blacks of Europe. And Dubliners are the blacks of Ireland. And the Northside Dubliners are the blacks of Dublin. So say it once, say it loud:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akEC4UGX-8g

I can't even respond to an idea that music is written to be filler. Just GTFO with that shit.

Agreed. Nobody writes music to be "filler" (well maybe Kenny G does?!) , it's only a matter of taste that determines your opinion of it's validity within your musical preferences and belief systems.

How many people in this world actually sit down and seriously listen to an album from start to finish?

Maybe 5 percent, the rest of the people in this world don't find music as important to them, in my opinion this is why the quality of records overall through the years has declined and yes that is my opinion, whether you agree with it or not really makes no difference to me.

The people of the Attention Deficit Disorder generation don't mind listening to songs just in the background and that's really what I mean by filler. Technology has made it very easy to make music disposable.

Most people will listen to anything as long as its cool and hip with their friends no matter what quality it is, and I understand quality is a subjective thing but there is a certain level of "group think" when it comes to music.

There are people who love music or are nuts about music, and pay attention.

There are people who are ambivalent, and listen to music as "background noise."

This is not anything new. There's always been "good" music and there's always been "crap" music. And there's always been people who are gaga for music, and others who are just listen to the radio as background.

That doesn't mean that the people who wrote the music, wrote it as filler and background music in mind. U2's not all that unique, now.

How many people in this world actually sit down and seriously listen to an album from start to finish?

Maybe 5 percent, the rest of the people in this world don't find music as important to them, in my opinion this is why the quality of records overall through the years has declined and yes that is my opinion, whether you agree with it or not really makes no difference to me.

You completely made that "statistic" up to try to push your opinion as fact.

The people of the Attention Deficit Disorder generation don't mind listening to songs just in the background and that's really what I mean by filler. Technology has made it very easy to make music disposable.

When did people "mind" having music in the background? When was this mythical time when anytime someone listened to any music they sat around completely engrossed and lost in it? Or are you just trying to generalize/dismiss an entire generation worth of people and making shit up?

Most people will listen to anything as long as its cool and hip with their friends no matter what quality it is, and I understand quality is a subjective thing but there is a certain level of "group think" when it comes to music.

People tend to associate with others who like similar things. This has been the case since we harnessed fire and people realized that others like to be warm too, or that the purple berries are the tastiest.

People like different things, and consume those things in different manners. Times change.

Stop being Don't be an asshole.

That doesn't mean that the people who wrote the music, wrote it as filler and background music in mind. U2's not all that unique, now.

I had initially added a sentence about how "maybe it's the people listening, not the music" which would have made it clear that we're on the same page with this one. Oops.

This is not exactly on topic either but close:

2009- Mom- "what concert are you going to?"
Me-"U2"
Mom-"Oh that bunch of black guys"

She thought you meant 2LiveCrew lol.

On a side note I was explaining to a trucker to log on to "YouTube" and he's like "Can't stand them and somebody should throw Boner off a roof I like my ACDC"

Which album are you listening to right now as you tell the kids to get off your yard?

Your 5% stat is nothing but bullshit. People have always listened to music as just background noise, and they have always taken it seriously, that doesn't change, and that's what music is for; it's for the head, the heart, and the feet. Don't pretend you are from some unique generation, you are not.

I had initially added a sentence about how "maybe it's the people listening, not the music" which would have made it clear that we're on the same page with this one. Oops.

I knew we were on the same page :). I was building off of your post to get to my point.

In my opinion the importance and or entertainment value of music to people living in today's world of instant satisfaction has diminished compared to other forms of entertainment. I am not only talking about kids, I am talking about adults as well.

The album format will be dead in 10 years, and this is where U2 have done most of their business lucky for them they will be retired by then.

Anyway back to topic.

The album format will be dead in 10 years, and this is where U2 have done most of their business lucky for them they will be retired by then.

Can you give us this weeks lottery numbers while you're here (since you can obviously see the future)?

Back
Top Bottom