Best U2 support act?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Never saw The Pogues open for U2 - that would have been awesome.

The Alarm were pretty good, if I recall (War Tour)
Pearl Jam in Hawaii (Vertigo tour)
No Doubt on Elevation tour
RATM, Popmart

Glasvegas are great on record, I've never heard them play live but it shocks me to people say they're so bad... to youtube I go.

Yeah, me, too. I love their album.

Snow Patrol were very good, I really got to like them during "my" leg of the tour.

I would have loved to hear Kings of Leon. They're one of my favourite bands and I've never seen them live.

Public Enemy, The Velvet Underground and Kraftwerk. Didn't see the Pogues support them though, that would have been brilliant.

Pretty hard to beat those four I think.

Would love to have seen the Alarm support U2 (or play live anywhere actually:( )

Me: BB King. He and his band didn't need to try to win the crowd over, they were so damn cool.
BAD. Mick Jones supporting U2, dammit, it really should have been the other way round!
Matt Finish, 1984. Decidedly underrated Aussie band, should have been bigger.

Just remembered some other supports that weren't the best but i liked em.

PJ Harvery (Wembley 93. ) So great. Especially as I saw her when she started out, literally in a shed in london!!!!!!
The Killers (Cardiff 05) - They were brilliant!!!
Fatima Mansions (Earl's court 92) - Very strange but good.
Primus - Outside broadcast 92 - Grew on you eventually!!!!!
Corrs - (Ft Luderdale 01) - substitiute for PJ harvey who was sick.

Best

01 BB King ( Amsterdam \ Rotterdam - Love Town )
02 The Killers ( Amsterdam Vertigo )
03 Claw Boys Claw ( Rotterdam Zooropa )

Worst

Einsturzende Neubauten ( Rotterdam Zooropa )
They were so bad that the audience threw things at them and the singer got hit by a plastic bottle so they all went offstage , they didn`t return the next night.

Cheers ,

Mauwer

1. Snow Patrol - Gothenburg, U2360° Tour 2009 (Twice! :hyper:)
2. The Soundtrack of Our Lives - Gothenburg, Vertigo//Tour 2005
3. Razorlight - Gothenburg, Vertigo//Tour 2005
4. Stereophonics - Stockholm, Elevation Tour 2001, July 9th.

KOL were utter shit in 2005. No stage presence whatsoever, vocalist sounded like a dying pig, and the songs just weren't there. It was like watching paint dry.
:lol:

I have never heard it put so eloquently...

And they kind of looked like shit to, from what I remember...

Saw them again at Sound Relief earlier this year and I noticed a marked improvement.

:up:

BTW: Glasvegas open for KOL tmrw, are they really THAT bad?

Best

01 BB King ( Amsterdam \ Rotterdam - Love Town )
02 The Killers ( Amsterdam Vertigo )
03 Claw Boys Claw ( Rotterdam Zooropa )

Worst

Einsturzende Neubauten ( Rotterdam Zooropa )
They were so bad that the audience threw things at them and the singer got hit by a plastic bottle so they all went offstage , they didn`t return the next night.

Cheers ,

Mauwer

Actually, the band got fired. The singer threw an iron bar into the crowd after he got hit by that bottle. U2 was not amused.

i really liked PJ Harvey, amazing presence on stage, but for my money it would probably be between Garbage (i was in the heart and they were awesome) or Snow Patrol in dublin (mainly because they seemed so excited to be opening for U2. i've never seen anyone so appreciative of their place in the world than Gary Lightbody looking out at Croke in awe)

the worst... hmm

Probably Third Eye Blind in St Louis for Popmart.
Or... not the worst, but the most mismatced... Nelly Furtado. I think that was Atlanta (i get my shows mixed up) but i think PJ Harvey was sick, The Corrs had sat in for her on one night (Charlotte? Miami? i've seen too many shows) and somehow this 19 year old Nelly Furtado was up there opening for U2, and just seemed terrified. She tried her best to get the crowd going but lets face it, she was all alone up there trying to impress thousands. I felt bad for her.

oh wait! i retract my Third Eye Blind and replace it with FUN LOVIN CRIMINALS in kansas city Popmart.
Uhhhgggg. That was a mess. I just roamed the stadium and bought tshirts instead. Who chose them to open anyway? Adam should be scolded for that one.

Actually, the band got fired. The singer threw an iron bar into the crowd after he got hit by that bottle. U2 was not amused.

Thanks for clearing that up Galeongirl , it`s been such a longtime , I`ve completly blocked that performance from my mind , such a waste of time that support act was:lol:
But boy did Claw Boys Claw and U2 made up for it:drool:

Cheers ,

Mauwer

since this is about who I've seen..in order...

Best:
Kanye West - bottom line, no matter what kind of music you like, he owned the stage better than any opening act I've ever seen and had the most people a. in the building and b. dancing and having a good time

Damian Marley
Garbage
Keane

Worst:
Kings of Leon
Gavin Rossdale
Dashboard Confessional

Meh:
Snow Patrol
Stereophonics

Best: MUSE! (And I have seen them...although not opening for U2, hehe. I will though this week!)

OK, best that I have actually seen open for U2 (so far) is Pearl Jam in Hawaii. :)

Worst has to be the Longpigs I think...had the displeasure of getting them as openers on two continents too...

I get to choose between Kings of Leon, Dashboard Confessionals, Damien Marley, Kanye West, Gavin Rossdale, Rocko Reedy, Pearl Jam, and Snow Patrol.....I choose Snow Patrol. Damien Marley was fun though. Pearl Jam was great, I'm just not a huge fan. I was excited for Kanye but it was rather blah.

Back
Top Bottom