Are U2 drug free?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In 1994 the zootv live from sydney have been broadcast on tv in France. And in this version, at the beginning of WOWY Bono is sniffing loudly into the mic! just after the line "on a bed of nails she makes me wait" In the VHS version this "noise" has been wiped out! I remember my old brother saying " he's on coke" LOL... I think we can hear it on bootlegs.

In 1994 the zootv live from sydney have been broadcast on tv in France. And in this version, at the beginning of WOWY Bono is sniffing loudly into the mic! just after the line "on a bed of nails she makes me wait" In the VHS version this "noise" has been wiped out! I remember my old brother saying " he's on coke" LOL... I think we can hear it on bootlegs.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that a band that's as protective of their image as U2 are were taking bumps right there on mic... :lol:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that a band that's as protective of their image as U2 are were taking bumps right there on mic... :lol:

please try to understand what i'm writing! i'm not stupid ok? stop it now! Bono is not snorting in the mic! he is sniffing like when you get a cold or breathing i don't know how you say this in english... In french it's "renifler"

I think he/she wouldn't be suggesting he was having a line right there on stage, and on mic, just that the sniffing might indicate recent activity. Which of course, it in no way does. Or doesn't. Or might not. Or might.

Bono's perma-cold voice on Zooropa though, what's THAT all about. Rough winter, or 'inspired' studio?

Really, it doesn't matter. Only the use of hard drugs would influence my opinion of them in any way. And there's zero evidence of that and it would be pretty reasonable to think that it's pretty unlikely. But coke, pills, mushrooms, LSD, weed - go nuts kids.

please try to understand what i'm writing! i'm not stupid ok? stop it now! Bono is not snorting in the mic! he is sniffing like when you get a cold or breathing i don't know how you say this in english... In french it's "renifler"

Calm down, I was not laughing at you. I'm laughing at those that would use a sniff as proof that Bono was on coke. It could be anything; it could be a cold, allergy, the pancake makeup he was wearing, or it could be coke... but I have to laugh at those that say it's proof, or that it's "obvious", etc...

Calm down, I was not laughing at you. I'm laughing at those that would use a sniff as proof that Bono was on coke. It could be anything; it could be a cold, allergy, the pancake makeup he was wearing, or it could be coke... but I have to laugh at those that say it's proof, or that it's "obvious", etc...

ok!:hug: BUT i am not saying it's a proof, it's an observation my brother made at the time that's all... i put a LOL if you're looking closely...
And it's better to have wiped out this sniff sound because it's disgusting to hear!

Yeah, I've often thought it was fairly obvious that Bono was coked-up during the Sydney encore as MacPhisto, just from the way he keeps rubbing his nose during WOWY.

Yeah, I've often thought it was fairly obvious that Bono was coked-up during the Sydney encore as MacPhisto, just from the way he keeps rubbing his nose during WOWY.

This just goes to show you how some try and find something that's not there. Bono "rubs" his nose exactly once at the beggining of this performance and it's a very dramatic hand motion(carried over from Lemon), in fact he does it a second time but never even touches his face.

Alright, so it's no evidence of coke use. He only did it once, and it was a fairly dramatic hand motion. But that $10 note was wedged well and good in there.

This just goes to show you how some try and find something that's not there. Bono "rubs" his nose exactly once at the beggining of this performance and it's a very dramatic hand motion(carried over from Lemon), in fact he does it a second time but never even touches his face.

Okay fine, I've clearly not analysed it in as much detail as you have. Man, you act like you're their PR-machine or something, stamping down on everything that comes up that might suggest drug use.

They are filthy-rich rock stars at the end of the day who will have been to countless numbers of high-society parties where the drugs will have been flowing. I don't have a problem with that, in fact good on 'em for keeping it on the down-low and not making a huge thing about it like a lot of bands do. If I were in their position I certainly would have indulged to a certain extent.

I think most of us in this thread are under the assumption that yes, they've experimented with drugs. I just don't think there needs to be over-analysis of pictures and video to try and point out specific examples of "Yes, you can clearly see they're high as kites here."

I think it's a rather safe assumption to think they've experimented, either based on the basic rock star cliches or comments the band has made themselves. What's the need to try and find evidence of it?

That's where I'm coming from in this thread. Not sure if that's BVS's line of thinking as well, but I don't think he's suggesting that there's no way they've ever done drugs.

^ Yeah agreed. To be honest I quite like the idea that they have done their fair share, it makes them seem more human to me, and makes me think - yeah good on them for living the dream and the kind of lifestyle that I (and probably most people) would absolutely love to lead given half the chance. Rather that than spending a night-in drinking herbal tea with Coldplay anyway.

Okay fine, I've clearly not analysed it in as much detail as you have. Man, you act like you're their PR-machine or something, stamping down on everything that comes up that might suggest drug use.

They are filthy-rich rock stars at the end of the day who will have been to countless numbers of high-society parties where the drugs will have been flowing. I don't have a problem with that, in fact good on 'em for keeping it on the down-low and not making a huge thing about it like a lot of bands do. If I were in their position I certainly would have indulged to a certain extent.

I've stated many times that I'm pretty sure they have, but that all we have is speculation... I just think some are going to great extents to try and project that on to them, oh look how cool my rock stars are... and I think it's funny that you pick a video that looks nothing like E use or did you see all his nose touching as your "evidence".

Evidence Hunt Report, we're getting closer...

bonoisadouche.jpg

I just think some are going to great extents to try and project that on to them, oh look how cool my rock stars are...

Yep. I think that's also why a lot of people like the 90s U2 so much and not the other eras. That was when they were being "bad" and some people think that only naughty rock stars are cool.

Yep. I think that's also why a lot of people like the 90s U2 so much and not the other eras. That was when they were being "bad" and some people think that only naughty rock stars are cool.

Well, personally I don't think only naughty rock stars are cool (if that was the case I'd have picked the wrong band to be a big fan of!!), I just think that people like to imagine they live that lifestyle because they have the opportunity to. Average Joe hires a load of hookers and smashes up a hotel room and people think he's a nobhead. Rock star does it and it makes him a hero. It all goes with the territory as part of the 'ideal' image that people have of rock stars. I'm sure most people would love to live that sort of 'fantasy' life, but not many can or do.

:lol: Yeah I think they partied good and proper throughout the 90s, and why the hell not?! As for it not popping up online anywhere - probably the U2 PR-machine pouncing on it like quite a lot of other things most likely.

That's not possible with pesky YouTube. Can the fantastic U2 PR machine put a stop to some spotty teen uploading it onto YouTube without drawing attention to themselves? Can they put a stop to Wikileaks? Do you think that they put a stop to Lola Cashman who declared when she lost her court case in 2005 and again in 2006 to U2 that she left out a lot of damning details about the band in her first book but now she was going to publish them?

Average Joe hires a load of hookers and smashes up a hotel room and people think he's a nobhead. Rock star does it and it makes him a hero.

It makes no difference to me, I would think both are knobheads!

Yes! Now this is where I probably got confused when I read a Nirvana fan mention this in one of their news groups. I thought he meant the Sydney DVD that was first released on VHS and then widely re-released as a DVD s couple of years ago.

Bono's perma-cold voice on Zooropa though, what's THAT all about. Rough winter, or 'inspired' studio?

Or cocaine usage.

Really, it doesn't matter. Only the use of hard drugs would influence my opinion of them in any way. And there's zero evidence of that and it would be pretty reasonable to think that it's pretty unlikely. But coke, pills, mushrooms, LSD, weed - go nuts kids.

Coke, E, Katamine and LSD are all Class A drugs in the UK thus are considered the most dangerous types. They are all hard drugs.

Back
Top Bottom