All "Is U2 Breaking Up" Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember Zooropa coming out and really not being into it...I didn't hate it, and tried to like it better than I did, but it never really pulled me in the way Achtung Baby did. I agree, however, that it has aged well.

But it was Pop that really caused me to take a step back from U2 a bit...those were my wilderness years with the band, they kind of dropped off my radar from around 95-99. I had seen every tour starting w/TUF, but I was planning on skipping Popmart, and really didn't realise they were in town until I heard the radio station was practically giving tickets away for the show...and I did manage to score a couple tickets and ended up going to the show. It didn't do anything to make me like the album any better, and I frankly couldn't stand what they were doing. I did love Staring at the Sun, and still do, I think it's unlike any other U2 song...and it has good personal associations for me that summer.

It was ATYCLB that U2 really captured my attention again. I think the importance of that album can't be overstated for their careers. I still really haven't come to appreciate Pop, though I think there are a couple beautiful U2 songs on that record.

I'm just going by what we know. Easy to speculate that it's a Bono/Edge Adam/Larry divide at the moment, but all we've really heard is Bono v. 'his bandmates'.

fuck optimism. I'm gonna give my negative 2 cents.

If there really was talk about breaking up (or more positively, perhaps a "Where do we go from here" discussion, though I don't know if the band has met up formally since the tour ended.) I'd think it would be a Bono+ Larry/// Adam+ Edge divide.

Adam has hit a new groove since he became the Silver Fox, both as a sexified human and a musician (see: NLOTH basslines). He's definitely still game to stay in the music and play to chicks in the front row. Edge does not seem to be in too parched for creative fuel at the moment, unlike Bono. I don't follow Larry closely, but I've read others saying he's lost some passion, heart's not really in it,, etc. (especially with the touring?)

I think their attitude now would be to try some sessions with Danger Mouse start of 2012 and see where it leads them. It'd be foolish to quit before they even give the new 2012 sessions a chance. Adam says they'll start work with Danger Mouse New Years' 2012, until then, all we can do is pray (to whatever God you believe in) that things work harmoniously and the output blows the socks off the band.

I wonder if the band have planned formal meetings/discussions since tour ended. From what it appears, they only officially get together for formal events like the Q "Best Band" Award, for instance. As Adam said in the recent BBC Jo Whiley interview, they are all separately busy, although he did hang out with Bono when they both happened to be in Paris a few weeks ago. Their meet-ups seem very on the fly to me.

edit: quoted wrong post

Uhh... I dunno about that. There's really been nothing out of Larry/Adam to put either on a side.

All I see is Bono talking. The only bit of speculation would be the Hollywood show that Bono and Edge played together without the other two. At least, as far as I know.

You're forgetting the best offs. They count for studio albums even though they are compilations. They fulfilled their Island contract with U218. It was in the press back then. And their new contract was with Universal/Mercury, a 12 year deal.

Well, actually from my understanding they don't count. But if you or anyone has a source that would confirm that they do count, then I guess I was mistaken. Certainly fits, but I just thought it was for new material and not Best ofs releases.

That contract is irrelevant since U2 left Island in 2006, and got a new contract with their new label (Mercury?). The Live nation 12 year deal only goes for merchandise, touring and the U2.com site.

Best ofs were a separate contract, which was fulfilled with U218.

I don't think quitting is off limits in the discussions.

Well, actually, leaving Island for Mercury is what is irrelevant. Both are owned by Universal. Island was bought by Polygram back in the mid 90s which was then bought by Universal.

I disagree. Their top priorities are to have new songs played on the radio, to have big hit singles and for the album to sell in excess of 10m copies. The actual artistic merits of the album are secondary. Right now I don't think they care about whether music nerds on the interwebz rank it alongside AB or not. Hits and sales are what they are really after.

Its not really possible to sell 10 million copies of an album anymore. The majority of people obtain their music for free, and that above anything else is by far the biggest obstacle to increasing sales. The next U2 album whether it comes out in 2012 or 2013 will most likely sell less than NLOTH regardless of its quality, whether hard core fans like, or it has a few songs that get played on the radio. Its where the industry is heading, down.

There are rumors that record stores, those that are left will be gone in the next couple of years which means if you want a physical copy of the album you will have to order it online.

Sorry to parse out a line from a larger note, but this cracked me up.

Yeah, I think they'll be okay financially.

LOL, they actually were in that position at the end of 1987, having enough money to retire. Where they are financially today is another universe.

Uhh... I dunno about that. There's really been nothing out of Larry/Adam to put either on a side.

All I see is Bono talking. The only bit of speculation would be the Hollywood show that Bono and Edge played together without the other two. At least, as far as I know.

Yes, and I don't read too much into that.

Bono and The Edge have appeared by themselves numerous times in the past for little acoustic sessions.

In fact, they did much the same thing for the dedication of Clinton's Library in 2004.

Yeah, but what I'm saying is that (again as far as I know), all we've heard is Bono vs. 'his bandmates' or something along those lines. There's no fair assumption of a divide, but if you really had to make one I'd imagine that'd be it.

"When you're past that twenty five year mark - its a little bit more for for us - you're kind of there for life, you know, and there's no point in fighting it or struggling against it and that's kind of nice." - Adam Clayton, November 2011.

I think they've done all they could do. They've had some awesome tours and some really great albums. What else do they have to prove? They don't need the money.

U2 haven't made a holiday album!

That's right, a great, old fashioned, Christmas album.

Sure, they have a few Christmas songs from the past. But now it's time to fill in the album with another 10 or so tracks.

It'll have lots of hits.

Top selling album every Christmas for years to come.

Can't wait! :hyper:

U2 haven't made a holiday album!

That's right, a great, old fashioned, Christmas album.

Sure, they have a few Christmas songs from the past. But now it's time to fill in the album with another 10 or so tracks.

It'll have lots of hits.

Top selling album every Christmas for years to come.

Can't wait! :hyper:

Actually, I strangely like this idea.

They already have, what, three Christmas songs? So we're a third there already.

So what Christmas songs are best suited to U2?

Well, they could just take the music from White As Snow and sing O Come, O Come, Emmanuel over the top of it.

And there must be some Christmas songs that have "kneel," "feel" and "soul" in the lyrics somewhere.

:wink:

Well, they could just take the music from White As Snow and sing O Come, O Come, Emmanuel over the top of it.

And there must be some Christmas songs that have "kneel," "feel" and "soul" in the lyrics somewhere.

:wink:

And "steal" as a lyric too!

How about this gem for Santa: "You think, I'm no good, I know I've been bad "

Semi-seriously, I always treated Peace on Earth like a Christmas song. Not just cos of the lyrics, but the intro sounds like a snow globe being shaken. (to quote Beeber fans, "no hatin' on my song) :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom