"2 crap albums in a row and we're out"-Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think NLOTH is far from a masterpiece...but I still think it's very good...am I alone on this?

I think if Stand Up Comedy were replaced with another song that was more in the vein of MOS, NLOTH, Fez the more adventerous tracks it would be damn close to a masterpiece...

I think if Stand Up Comedy were replaced with another song that was more in the vein of MOS, NLOTH, Fez the more adventerous tracks it would be damn close to a masterpiece...

I feel the same way, for me a "masterpiece" is an album which contains nothing less than musical/lyrical perfection

NLOTH came close...

Boots and the lyrics on Stand Up Comedy did it in for me...

It's a dumb quote that doesn't deserve to keep getting resurrected everytime a fan decides they don't like the new album.

Seriously, let the quote die. If you think they've put out two crap albums in a row, then maybe it's time for you to "retire" from being a fan.

Haha, I love the quote and the fact that it's always resurrected every couple of months.

In my view and as it stands, "crapness" is defined only by the band U2 themselves, and I sense that their definition of crap only really applies to PoP (talk of redoing it, de-boomchaisation of the mixes for 90-00), which means ATYCLB was the most crucial album for the band, and from all reports, they seem pretty pleased with that album, so they understandably kept on going.

They also seem pretty pleased with NLOTH, and Larry I reckon is the key player here. He really does run the band in my opinion, and he seems pretty happy with NLOTH so going by the maligned "2 albums and we're out" theory, they've got at least 2 albums left in them.

I do wonder how they feel about HTDDAB though, might need to research that....look for some negativity.

It is just a theory though, but I find it fun to think about...

I completely agree. I believe Bono simply doesn't want to keep going on if they're not relevent anymore. Pop gave them quite a scare, and I think that's why they're so careful with everything they do. They don't release an album until they feel completely confident in it, even if it takes 4.5 years.
de-boomchaisation.
my new favorite word :drool:

Haha, I love the quote and the fact that it's always resurrected every couple of months.

In my view and as it stands, "crapness" is defined only by the band U2 themselves, and I sense that their definition of crap only really applies to PoP (talk of redoing it, de-boomchaisation of the mixes for 90-00), which means ATYCLB was the most crucial album for the band, and from all reports, they seem pretty pleased with that album, so they understandably kept on going.

They also seem pretty pleased with NLOTH, and Larry I reckon is the key player here. He really does run the band in my opinion, and he seems pretty happy with NLOTH so going by the maligned "2 albums and we're out" theory, they've got at least 2 albums left in them.

I do wonder how they feel about HTDDAB though, might need to research that....look for some negativity.

It is just a theory though, but I find it fun to think about...

I imagine they're probably not looking back on Rattle and Hum fondly either...they said for HTDAAB that the sum wasn't bigger than the parts and that it wasn't an album but a collection of songs (the latter was also said for ATYCLB).

They used the "Edge is falling in love with the guitar" and "our best work" lines for Pop-ATYCLB-HTDAAB, but not so much for NLOTH. In comparison, very little hype for this last album - from Bono especially, but much more hype from producers instead. They said Larry suggested to record with no album/tour in mind this time around, just playing for the sake of music.

Back
Top Bottom