US Politics XXXV: My Insurrection Lasted More Than 4 Hours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What an awful, awful person.

And given last night’s results, we do see a binary choice in the fall: democracy vs authoritarianism.

No matter where you live or how reasonable your individual candidate might be in your nice suburban district, if you vote for a republicans you are voting for the party of insurrectionists.

I find Kari Lake chilling. She will absolutely order mass executions.

it's a mixed bag, really.

i mean just look at what Kansas did last night

It's a very strange / weird dynamic.

Clearly the right to choice is very popular even in the reddest states. But that doesn't mean these people will vote Blue. They align with the this specific policy, but still are deeply afraid of Hunter Biden's Laptop full of CRT and mask mandates.

These people who voted to keep abortion still HATE liberals. I don't really know how you reach them, when they're fine with 99% of dictatorship, just leave women a few rights.

Clearly the right to choice is very popular even in the reddest states. But that doesn't mean these people will vote Blue. They align with the this specific policy, but still are deeply afraid of Hunter Biden's Laptop full of CRT and mask mandates.

These people who voted to keep abortion still HATE liberals. I don't really know how you reach them, when they're fine with 99% of dictatorship, just leave women a few rights.

It’s also that blue/liberal policy is quite popular, actually, when people are asked to actually vote on policy — raising minimum wage, legalizing weed, anti-gerrymandering, human rights for women.

I mean yes and no. What you said certainly does exist, but we've seen elsewhere in the country a break from Trumpism in Republican primaries. It's almost as if rural white voters aren't a monolith.

Suggesting they hate liberals is very simplistic.

The Kansas electorate is 850-500-550-25 Republican-Democrat-Independent-Other. It would take an astronomical swing of independents to turn the state blue.

Abortion, amongst independents, is similarly 50-50 (tilt pro-choice). However, that question isn’t binary. One Pew poll I’ve seen suggests nearly HALF of independents are either “both” or “neither” pro-choice and/or pro-life. Furthermore, Democrats are more likely to be pro-choice than Republicans are to be pro-life.

Conclusion: There’s a great amount of people who vote Republican who have little or no interest in this topic. Fuse that with an enraged base on the left. This uninterested parties probably felt no need to check a box saying you cannot have an abortion if it doesn’t impact them. That’s how you end up with a result like this.

Too bad we the people don’t have referendum rights to vote. No, no, instead we do a convoluted system of your vote to a state to an electorate to a representative to a vote determines if they ever talk about it. But only if you’re loud and mad enough!

And given last night’s results, we do see a binary choice in the fall: democracy vs authoritarianism.

I find Kari Lake chilling. She will absolutely order mass executions.

You are reaching 'them'.

Part of the reason why divided government is on its way again soon.

I guess it isn’t a complete shame he’s still alive, since he gets to experience this.

At least it's something, at least it's much more than the eight dollars suggested by his lawyer.

A Texas jury on Thursday ordered conspiracy theorist and media personality Alex Jones to pay $4.1 million to the parents of a Sandy Hook shooting victim — a much smaller amount than the parents sought after he repeatedly claimed the school shooting was a hoax.

Of course the scumbag claims to be bankrupt, so likely they'll never get any money out of him.

As the judge told him, filing for bankruptcy doesn't mean you are truly bankrupt. He lies about every single thing in his miserable existence, so I bet his money is well hidden.

I am sure the family didn't do it for money, it's the legal victory and exposing him in court. I do hope that they make it hell for him by going after every dollar they can though.

Taiwan: Pelosi leaves Taipei to sound of Chinese fury
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-62405680

The US walks a diplomatic tightrope with its Taiwan policy. On the one hand, it abides by the "One China" policy, which recognises only one Chinese government, giving it formal ties with Beijing and not Taiwan.

On the other, it maintains a "robust unofficial" relationship with the island, which includes selling weapons for Taiwan to defend itself.

As speaker of the US House of Representatives, Ms Pelosi is second in line to the US presidency, behind Vice-President Kamala Harris.

Democrats and Sinema Say They've Reached an Agreement on an Economic Package
https://time.com/6203985/democrats-sinema-deal-inflation-taxes/

Democrats revealed few details of their compromise, and other hurdles remained. Still, final congressional approval would complete an astounding resurrection of Biden’s wide-ranging domestic goals, though in more modest form.

Democratic infighting had embarrassed Biden and forced him to pare down a far larger and more ambitious $3.5 trillion, 10-year version, and then a $2 trillion alternative, leaving the effort all but dead. Instead, Schumer and Sen. Joe Manchin, the conservative maverick Democrat from West Virginia who derailed Biden’s earlier efforts, unexpectedly negotiated the slimmer package two weeks ago.

Its approval would let Democrats appeal to voters by boasting they are moving to reduce inflation — though analysts say that impact would be minor — address climate change and increase U.S. energy security.

....The measure will also have to withstand a “vote-a-rama,” a torrent of nonstop amendments expected to last well into the weekend, if not beyond. Republicans want to kill as much of the bill as possible, either with the parliamentarian’s rulings or amendments.

Even if their amendments lose — as is certain for most — Republicans will consider it mission accomplished if they force Democrats to take risky campaign-season votes on touchy issues like taxes, inflation and immigration.

Democratic amendments are expected as well. Progressive Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., has said he wants to make its health care provisions stronger.

A Texas jury on Friday added $45.2 million to the damages that conspiracy theorist and media personality Alex Jones must pay to the parents of a Sandy Hook shooting victim as punishment for repeatedly claiming the school shooting was a hoax.

I read something about an expert testifying today about how wealthy Jones probably is.

A Texas jury on Friday added $45.2 million to the damages that conspiracy theorist and media personality Alex Jones must pay to the parents of a Sandy Hook shooting victim as punishment for repeatedly claiming the school shooting was a hoax.

I read something about an expert testifying today about how wealthy Jones probably is.

chapelle-charlie-murphy.gif

Guys, all he asked for was a link to the article. Come on now.

For me, my pet peeve is actually quoted paragraph text not in a quote block.

It came up as a breaking news notification on the Newsbreak service I have on my phone. It's not CNN, not Fox. I was busy dealing with something work related at the same time, so I didn't take the time to link it.

Honestly this is the kind of petty crap that makes me not want to be here. Time for another break.

It’s not petty crap. You’re overreacting a bit. That wasn’t even pointed at you. BW does it all the time. It was a general comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom