U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Lemonade Stand Archive (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/f287/)
-   -   What's the best Biography/Autobiography you've ever read? (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/f287/whats-the-best-biography-autobiography-youve-ever-read-77265.html)

Johnny Swallow 05-19-2003 08:19 PM

What's the best Biography/Autobiography you've ever read?

Mainly I'm looking for recomendations here.

My choice would have to be Eddie Rickenbacker's Autobio. The man could fix anything, did everything, went everywhere and was humble as could be. It's a great story, easy read and humorous as well.

martha 05-19-2003 08:43 PM

What comes to mind right away is Ben Franklin's autobio, especially in the editions with the original spellings and sentence structure. It gives you a clear picture of how things were back in the 1770s.

AvsGirl41 05-19-2003 09:49 PM

All of Antonia Fraser's biographies are very good. Entertaining but very factual and unbiased.

Danospano 05-19-2003 09:59 PM

I'm currently reading Gerry Spence's autobiography, "The Making of a Country Lawyer". I'm halfway through it and recommend it for the beautiful language he utilizes. He takes you from his humble beginnings in the backwoods of the Wyoming hills to his current state of being. He avoids the technical details of his profession in exchange for a vivid account of life outside the city, living off the land, helping the average Joe combat the looming corporations.

I also recommend Stanley Kubrick's biography by a guy named Vincent....? Check it out

theSoulfulMofo 05-19-2003 10:17 PM

autobiography of malcolm x

Johnny Swallow 05-20-2003 01:20 PM

Doesn't anyone read books anymore? You know, those paper web-pages that you find on shelves...I guess it's a lost cause.

oliveu2cm 05-20-2003 01:22 PM

I just read "Leap of Faith" by Queen Noor of Jordan. I really enjoyed it; she is an inspiring woman and I learned a lot about her country and the US's interaction with the Middle East.

MrsSpringsteen 05-20-2003 01:30 PM

Gilda Radner- It's Always Something
Mayor Giuliani - Leadership
Lance Armstrong - It's All About The Bike
Days Of Grace - Arthur Ashe
Just As I Am - Rev Billy Graham
Glory Days - Dave Marsh
Tis - Frank Mc Court, and of course Angela's Ashes
Lucky Man - Michael J Fox

I'd like to read Leap Of Faith..I don't read enough :o

Elvis Presley 05-20-2003 01:38 PM

The Last Lion- Winston Churchill

meegannie 05-20-2003 01:40 PM

I don't remember the last bio/autobio I read.... :scratch:

bonosloveslave 05-20-2003 01:51 PM

The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom

u2popmofo 05-20-2003 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Johnny Swallow
Doesn't anyone read books anymore? You know, those paper web-pages that you find on shelves...I guess it's a lost cause.
I read books a-plenty, I just have no interest in biographies.

AdamsPoptart 05-20-2003 02:32 PM

It was a Bono-graphy.How he got in U2 and basically his whole life story.It's better then Unforgettable Fire by Eamonn Dunphy.The name of the book I have is Bono..Hif life,music,and passion by Laura Jackson.I recommend it to all fans.5 Stars to Bonoman!

Off with the horns..
On with the show..

~MacPhisto~

a-mole 05-20-2003 03:09 PM

I've only read two in my life so far
one from
Leonard Nimoy :hug: - I am Spock (his second one)
and Bill Flanagans - U2 at the end of the world
I thought both where very good

~fairy_girl~ 05-20-2003 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by AdamsPoptart
It was a Bono-graphy.How he got in U2 and basically his whole life story.It's better then Unforgettable Fire by Eamonn Dunphy.The name of the book I have is Bono..Hif life,music,and passion by Laura Jackson.I recommend it to all fans.5 Stars to Bonoman!

ooh i read that one too :wave: was excellent.

i bought madonnas biography too um some time ago actually but havent got round to reading it yet.

i am a huge fan of her music but not really been interested in her personal life, only whats been splashed across the papers and whatever. i bought the book cos it was 2 for 10 :)

i will have to read it soon.

Mrs. Vedder 05-20-2003 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Gilda Radner- It's Always Something

Great book!!

Here are some I've enjoyed:

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil - John Berendt
The Killer Angels - Michael Shaara
Running with Scissors - Augusten Burroughs
King Leopold's Ghost - Adam Hochschild
Child Called "It" - Dave J. Pelzer, Dave Pelzer (so sad and chilling)
Night - Elie Wiesel (same as above book)
I May be Wrong but I Doubt It - Charles Barkley (:D)

Niamh_Saoirse 05-20-2003 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Tis - Frank Mc Court, and of course Angela's Ashes

Yes, I agree on that one. I love both Angela's Ashes and T'is. They are humorous and moving at the same time.

ACROB@T 05-21-2003 01:15 PM

Heavier Than Heaven ~ Kurt Cobain

Headache in a Suitcase 05-21-2003 02:05 PM

i may be wrong but i doubt it was a great book... i dunno if i'd call it a bio/autobio though... more like just chuck giving his opinions on stuff... good read none-the-less

life on the run by bill bradley was another great read... but to be perfectly honest with you, the best autobiography i've ever read... it was #1 on the NYT list for months... i thought it would be stupid, but it was absolutely phenomenal... Blood And Sweatsocks by Mick Foley

u2popmofo 05-21-2003 02:43 PM

After much thinking, I finally thought of a biography I've read that I would actually recommend to other people:

"Musui's Story: The Autobiography of a Tokugawa Samurai" By Katsu Kokichi (translated by Teruko Craig)

I found it excessively interesting, but I'm into all that kind of stuff.