U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Free Your Mind Archive (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/f290/)
-   -   Offensive/Sexist Comments By An Alabama Political Candidate? (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/f290/offensive-sexist-comments-by-an-alabama-political-candidate-67570.html)

U2Bama 11-05-2002 09:29 PM

Offensive/Sexist Comments By An Alabama Political Candidate?
 
From Today's BIRMINGHAM NEWS:

"Candidate A" and "Candidate B"asked voters Monday to elect them lieutenant governor because of their years of experience.

In the final day of a close campaign, "Candidate A" pointed to her term as state treasurer and said she knows government and works well with people.

"Frankly, I think another trait that is of value is being a female," "Candidate A" said when asked why people should elect her instead of "Candidate B" to be presiding officer of the state Senate.

"I think God gave women, the female gender, an extra little nurturing trait," "Candidate A" said. "That's because we were going to be caretakers of the family. I think government is caretaker of the people.

"That compassion and caring and wanting to do what's right with all members of the family will certainly be valuable in doing what's right with all members of that Senate," said "Candidate A", 64, who has two grown children.


Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on candidate A's comments from today's newspaper.

~U2Alabama

The Wanderer 11-05-2002 09:39 PM

could you imagine if a male candidate had said, "you know, men are naturally tougher and more decisive in decision-making, therefore I feal I am better qualified than my opponent"

of if a white candidate said, "you know, I am white and most Americans are white, so cleary I identify more with the American people than my [insert minority designation here] opponent"

Clinton's opponents should point out that they didn't let their dog get hit by a car, thus making them more sensitive to animals and the environment

Screaming Flower 11-05-2002 09:42 PM

i'll nurture her face.
 
Quote:

Originally posted by U2Bama
"I think God gave women, the female gender, an extra little nurturing trait," "Candidate A" said. "That's because we were going to be caretakers of the family. I think government is caretaker of the people.

"That compassion and caring and wanting to do what's right with all members of the family will certainly be valuable in doing what's right with all members of that Senate," said "Candidate A", 64, who has two grown children.

that's really lame.

Crzy4Bono 11-05-2002 10:56 PM

**GROAN**

U2Bama 11-05-2002 11:10 PM

She seems to have won the election by a large margin.

Angela Harlem 11-06-2002 12:41 AM

I dont think being female in any given scenario is something to be considered a virtue. Its just the way things are. Duh.
"I think God gave women, the female gender, an extra little nurturing trait," --blah. Whatever. Some women have it, some dont. Some men have it, some dont. Interesting statements to base your political career on? Who cares that she will love and treat her public like children and nurture them...does she have the balls to do the job?

Oops, I said balls...I will throw myself in front of the next semi driven by a feminist.

melon 11-06-2002 10:00 AM

Re: Offensive/Sexist Comments By An Alabama Political Candidate?
 
Quote:

Originally posted by U2Bama
"Frankly, I think another trait that is of value is being a female," "Candidate A" said when asked why people should elect her instead of "Candidate B" to be presiding officer of the state Senate.

"I think God gave women, the female gender, an extra little nurturing trait," "Candidate A" said. "That's because we were going to be caretakers of the family. I think government is caretaker of the people.

"That compassion and caring and wanting to do what's right with all members of the family will certainly be valuable in doing what's right with all members of that Senate," said "Candidate A", 64, who has two grown children.

They're attempting to play the religious right, who would actually be stupid enough to fall for this.

Melon

nbcrusader 11-06-2002 10:53 AM

Unfortunately, the reaction to such a statement will largely depend on whether there is a little "R" or a little "D" next to their name.

oliveu2cm 11-06-2002 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Angela Harlem

Oops, I said balls...I will throw myself in front of the next semi driven by a feminist.

I consider myself a feminist, yet I don't drive a semi, burn my bra or agree with what this senator said.

:scratch: Stereotypes.. go figure. :|

Gina Marie 11-06-2002 11:44 AM

ugh......

We had a female Democratic candidate for Governor, who should have won :D, but anyway..as far as I know, she never made any statements like that.

But her opponent (a guy) did call her conduct in the last debate 'unbecoming' :rolleyes: :yuck:

Many people considered that to be very patronizing and chauvinist...I did

Hewson 11-06-2002 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Gina Marie

But her opponent (a guy) did call her conduct in the last debate 'unbecoming' :rolleyes: :yuck:

Of course her conduct in that debate was deplorable, and probably what cost her the election. Catcher's Mitt could certainly have picked a better word than "Unbecoming" of course, but it was curious that Shannon didn't mention it during the debate, but the next day while she campaigned with Hillary Clinton (who is not sensitive to animals, ask Buddy ;) ), it gets mentioned as a sexist remark.
I'm just sad Robert Reich lost in the primary...would have been fun to see him carrying a milk crate to the podium every time he had to make a speech.

Gina Marie 11-06-2002 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Hewson

I'm just sad Robert Reich lost in the primary...would have been fun to see him carrying a milk crate to the podium every time he had to make a speech.

Well, I have nothing to say about the merits (lack thereof :D) of Mitt Romney :yuck:..frankly I find most things about him to be 'unbecoming'..he reminds me of a Ken doll :p

Reich is shorter than even :bono: *runs away*

:tongue:

Hewson 11-06-2002 12:21 PM

That was the big problem with this election, you had most people choosing who was least offensive, basically deciding between the lesser of 2 evils.

garibaldo 11-06-2002 12:54 PM

Re: Re: Offensive/Sexist Comments By An Alabama Political Candidate?
 
Quote:

Originally posted by melon


They're attempting to play the religious right, who would actually be stupid enough to fall for this.

Melon

I don't think the "compassion and caring" and women are better than men line came from the religious right. That's right out of the left and its feminists and you know it. I don't think I've heard Jesse Helms speak about how women are superior...hmmmm...maybe I'm missing something.


The arguement is incredibly lame and plays out to the grrrl power types. Besides, every woman in politics is just like every man. They talk the same and act the same. They're just as petty (Shannon O'Brien is a great example) and mean-spirited. Party politics and values seems to be more of a defining factor.

When I hear someone boasting about how compassionate and caring they are, I hear "more welfare" and "endless social welfare programs".

daisybean 11-06-2002 02:56 PM

My question is, what were her stances on other issues? Yes, the whole idea of her being a woman makes her somehow more competant for a particular job is bull. Was this "nuturing of the state" the cornerstone of her campaign? Was her spin the fact that she was a woman? Or was she elected because of stances on other issues such as education, civil rights, etc....

MSU2mike 11-06-2002 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Gina Marie
ugh......

We had a female Democratic candidate for Governor, who should have won :D, but anyway..as far as I know, she never made any statements like that.

But her opponent (a guy) did call her conduct in the last debate 'unbecoming' :rolleyes: :yuck:

Many people considered that to be very patronizing and chauvinist...I did

Not that many people thought so, or Romney wouldn't have won. In fact, her and Hillary's crying about such a non-issue probably hurt her substantially in the election...that, and her general conduct leading to Romney's statement. Frankly, that was one of the most absurd tactics the Dems used in this election, trying to frame his use of "unbecoming" as a sexist remark. That's just stupid.

Gina Marie 11-06-2002 04:36 PM

No offense, and I have complete distaste for 'arguing' in FYM, but honestly, I think that's a bit sexist to say they were 'crying' about that.

I think that and the debate (s) were a small part of it. He did win by only 5 percent. People seem to have the perception that Romney the businessman and person who seems to claim he singlehandedly rescued the troubled Olympics = person who can turn around the economy in MA. I think that was the most important factor in his victory. We will just have to wait and see how effective he is.....

Angela Harlem 11-07-2002 01:19 AM

Olive, sorry if you found that offensive. None was intended. The pros and cons of femminism are a debate for another thread. But anyways, tongue in cheek if you like :) Its very un PC even if you swap the gender role imo.

melon 11-07-2002 07:02 AM

Meh...Massachusetts' Congress is 80% Democratic. Mitt Romney, just like Jane Swift, is irrelevant.

Melon

oliveu2cm 11-07-2002 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Angela Harlem
Olive, sorry if you found that offensive. None was intended. The pros and cons of femminism are a debate for another thread. But anyways, tongue in cheek if you like :) Its very un PC even if you swap the gender role imo.
Thanks Angela. :) Yes, for another thread I agree- and we'd probably agree on the pros and cons, too. :)

Gina- even more reason I like ya, we vote the same! :p :mac:

us3 11-08-2002 04:23 PM

https://www.samizdata.net/blog/archiv...89.html#002389


Channel 4 News had Michael Moore on for the Democrats and Laura Ingraham for the Republicans. She did rather well, but Mr. Moore had the last word:


"No wonder they win, they look better than us."
I wonder what would have happened if such a really harmless joke had come from the lips of a liberal or a conservative rather than a Leftist?

Political Correctness is not a matter of what is said; it is a matter of who says it. The annointed are "allowed" freedoms of speech unavailable to the hoi polloi. Had it been myself on ITV news, making the same remark, I would be pilloried for it.

Do not get me wrong: I am not castigating Michael Moore for this remark. I am merely pointing out there is an inherent asymmetry and illogic to the Left's position on Freedom of Speech. The fact is, I agree with Michael Moore. Laura Ingraham is better looking than he is.

Smarter too.

diamond 11-08-2002 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by us3
https://www.samizdata.net/blog/archiv...89.html#002389


Laura Ingraham is better looking than he is.

.

:up:
Ms Ingrahm is a sexy:up::ohmy:

;)
DB9

melon 11-08-2002 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by us3
[B"No wonder they win, they look better than us."[/B]
Quite frankly, I doubt he is far off. During John F. Kennedy's election in 1960, when polled, many female voters admitted that they were only voting for him, because of his looks. Appearance is everything, frankly. People may never want to admit to it, but the packaging has just as much to do, if not more, than the actual message.

Melon

diamond 11-08-2002 06:25 PM

Hey:censored:
Everybody KNOWS that Nixon was sexier then Jack Kennedy:angry:

thank
u
DB9
:dance:

Dreadsox 11-08-2002 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by diamond
Hey:censored:
Everybody KNOWS that Nixon was sexier then Jack Kennedy:angry:

thank
u
DB9
:dance:

Yeah Diamond......

I am sure all of those women at home watching that debate......

found the sweat pouring off Nixon quite sexy.......


LOL


Peace to all......

Dreadsox 11-08-2002 08:54 PM

Re: Offensive/Sexist Comments By An Alabama Political Candidate?
 
Quote:

Originally posted by U2Bama
From Today's BIRMINGHAM NEWS:



"I think God gave women, the female gender, an extra little nurturing trait," "Candidate A" said. "That's because we were going to be caretakers of the family. I think government is caretaker of the people.


Well, I can say that candidate A is clearly a Democrat.

No self-respecting Republican believes we need the governement to take care of us.

Caretaker of the people....PLEASE.........

melon 11-08-2002 09:20 PM

Actually, it probably is a Democrat. These arguments remind me of the same arguments that "progressive" people used to argue for women's suffrage. As well intentioned as it was in this case (and I'm sure it was the same way with the Alabama political candidate), women and all other subordinate hegemonic groups deserve equality quite simply because we are human.

But, as activist Harry Hay once said, lamentingly, "Well, as a matter of fact, minorities don't have rights. To be let in, they have to be bringing something that the society needs and doesn't have." And I think that's why asinine comments like the one made by the Alabama political candidate continue to be made.

Melon

U2Bama 11-08-2002 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by us3
Laura Ingraham is better looking than he is.

Smarter too.

How DARE you claim that ANYONE, especially a conservative like Laura Ingraham, is smarter than Michael Moore!!!! That is a cardinal offense! We all know that Michael Moore is the greatest and smartest and most special person in the world!

I cannot belive that you would have the audacity to make such a claim in the "Free Your Mind" forum os a U2 message board. How offensive!

https://www.kimdelaney.org/babu1.gif

~U2Alabama

U2Bama 11-08-2002 10:19 PM

YES, candidate A IS a Democrat.

Someone asked what the issues were or why she waon or something; her issue was name recognition. Her ex-husband was the former (and popular) state Attorney General and Lieutenant Governor; they divorced, she kept the name, and entered politics and has won every race since then.

She was not the religious right candidate; her opponent was the clear religious right candidate.

We also need to discuss the South Carolina Governor's race and the Montana Senate race. In both of these races, entities supporting the Democratic candidates did some sexuality-baiting against their opposing Republican campaigns.

In South Carolina, Republican candidate for Senate Lindsey Graham brought Rudolph Giuliani to town for a campaign fundraiser event. His Democratic opponent then attacked Graham's association with Giuliani because, allegedly, Giuliani was kicked out of his house by his wife and had taken up residence with two gay men. Lindsey Graham won the election.

In Montana, the Democratic candidate for Governor ran a television ad showing video footage of the Republican candidate working as a hairdresser, thus insinuating that he was gay. The Republican candidate won.

~U2Alabama

us3 11-08-2002 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by melon


Quite frankly, I doubt he is far off. During John F. Kennedy's election in 1960, when polled, many female voters admitted that they were only voting for him, because of his looks. Appearance is everything, frankly. People may never want to admit to it, but the packaging has just as much to do, if not more, than the actual message.

Melon


u might be on to something. ppl listening to the kennedy/nixon debate thought nixon won. TV viewers thought opposite.

Bono concurs....

https://www.snapfish.com/slideshow/Al...607/t_=4841968

diamond don't be jealous.

U2Bama 11-08-2002 11:38 PM

I also heard that Nixon refused to wear TV makeup or whatever, and he was not "ready for tv" or "made for tv."

us3 11-08-2002 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by U2Bama
YES, candidate A IS a Democrat.

Someone asked what the issues were or why she waon or something; her issue was name recognition. Her ex-husband was the former (and popular) state Attorney General and Lieutenant Governor; they divorced, she kept the name, and entered politics and has won every race since then.

She was not the religious right candidate; her opponent was the clear religious right candidate.

We also need to discuss the South Carolina Governor's race and the Montana Senate race. In both of these races, entities supporting the Democratic candidates did some sexuality-baiting against their opposing Republican campaigns.

In South Carolina, Republican candidate for Senate Lindsey Graham brought Rudolph Giuliani to town for a campaign fundraiser event. His Democratic opponent then attacked Graham's association with Giuliani because, allegedly, Giuliani was kicked out of his house by his wife and had taken up residence with two gay men. Lindsey Graham won the election.

In Montana, the Democratic candidate for Governor ran a television ad showing video footage of the Republican candidate working as a hairdresser, thus insinuating that he was gay. The Republican candidate won.

~U2Alabama

not quite...mont. was a senator race. Baccus(sp) the demo won.

here's the SC quote:

He's an ultra-liberal," Sanders said. "His wife kicked him out and he moved in with two gay men and a Shih Tzu. Is that South Carolina values? I don't think so."

FYI-Barney Frank made a statement denouncing sanders.

And then there's this one....

Yesterday, Hawaii Reporter talked to a handful of people outside the Republican Party who had direct knowledge of a new secret whispering campaign against Republican Gubernatorial Candidate Linda Lingle. Apparently a woman claiming to be the former lover of Lingle is calling targeted Republicans as a part of a smear campaign against Lingle. Lingle says she is not gay and in fact has been married twice.

Lingle supporters says smear mongers are hoping to distract voters from the real issues like the fact that the state has hit rock bottom in almost every category -- education, business, social problems, importation of drugs, domestic violence, theft -- because of poor political leadership.

Democrats tried this same smear in 1998 against Lingle when she ran for governor against incumbent Benjamin Cayetano and against some of their own candidates in years prior who weren't the "chosen" party candidates, including a Democrat candidate for mayor and a Democrat candidate for governor



I guess the "smear" didn't work this time. She won.

U2Bama 11-09-2002 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by us3


not quite...mont. was a senator race. Baccus(sp) the demo won.


You're right; it was my error. I knew it was the Montana governor's race, as Max Baucus won his Sente seat.

Isn't this the first time in about 40 years that Hawaii has elected a Republican Governor? It is also the first time in 120 years that Georgia has elected a Republican Governor.

~U2Alabama

Dreadsox 11-09-2002 01:24 PM

Massachusetts:

Elected its Third Republican Governor in a ROW.


The big news....and the one that is giving our new governor a mandate to be fiscally responsible is the fact that ....

Our Income Tax was almost abolished by a ballot question.


AMAZING here in the state of the Bleading Hearts......


Could Teddy Kennedy be gone next???????

FizzingWhizzbees 11-09-2002 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dreadsox
Our Income Tax was almost abolished by a ballot question.

oh my god. is that for real? your state almost abolished income tax? did whoever proposed that suggest any alternative way of funding public expenditure?

Dreadsox 11-09-2002 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees


oh my god. is that for real? your state almost abolished income tax? did whoever proposed that suggest any alternative way of funding public expenditure?

For real.......Here was the question.https://www.state.ma.us/sec/ele/elebq02/bq021.htm





Here is the result:

BALLOT QUESTIONS
1 No Income Tax
2,155 of 2,157 precincts -- 100%
No 1,060,525 -- 55%
Yes 881,738 -- 45%

FizzingWhizzbees 11-09-2002 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dreadsox


For real.......Here was the question.https://www.state.ma.us/sec/ele/elebq02/bq021.htm





Here is the result:

BALLOT QUESTIONS
1 No Income Tax
2,155 of 2,157 precincts -- 100%
No 1,060,525 -- 55%
Yes 881,738 -- 45%

The people who proposed that disgust me.

And I'm shocked that it was rejected by such a narrow margin. Although I guess if you asked people if they wanted to pay more or less tax and didn't explain fully the consequences of that, most people would choose not to pay taxes.

Dreadsox 11-09-2002 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees


The people who proposed that disgust me.

And I'm shocked that it was rejected by such a narrow margin. Although I guess if you asked people if they wanted to pay more or less tax and didn't explain fully the consequences of that, most people would choose not to pay taxes.

That is a shame.....

They are Patriots. They are correct in wanting accountability by our government. They are correct that too much of our money is wasted.

FizzingWhizzbees 11-09-2002 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dreadsox


They are Patriots. They are correct in wanting accountability by our government. They are correct that too much of our money is wasted.

They didn't ask for accountability. They asked for an end to income tax. They asked for a tax which pays for schools, hospitals, fire stations and police, to give just a few examples, to be removed.

If patriotism involves taking away healthcare and education from those who need it, by removing the means to pay for them, then I'm happy to be unpatriotic.

Dreadsox 11-09-2002 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees


They didn't ask for accountability. They asked for an end to income tax. They asked for a tax which pays for schools, hospitals, fire stations and police, to give just a few examples, to be removed.

If patriotism involves taking away healthcare and education from those who need it, by removing the means to pay for them, then I'm happy to be unpatriotic.

Please do not put words in my mouth, I did not call you unpatriotic.

45% of the people were for it, the state must be doing something wrong.

It did not take place until July 2003. Plenty of time to figure it out.

It meant property taxes and sales taxes go up.....Maybe hitting some of those more wealthy people you want to "Progressively" tax.

They are patriots...they want what our founding fathers wanted. How is England by the way?


FizzingWhizzbees 11-09-2002 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dreadsox


Please do not put words in my mouth, I did not call you unpatriotic.

45% of the people were for it, the state must be doing something wrong.

It did not take place until July 2003. Plenty of time to figure it out.

It meant property taxes and sales taxes go up.....Maybe hitting some of those more wealthy people you want to "Progressively" tax.

They are patriots...they want what our founding fathers wanted. How is England by the way?


Property tax and sales tax are the opposite of progressive taxation. They mean that poorer people pay proportionally more of their income in taxation. Progressive taxation is the opposite - richer people should pay proportionally more.

I didn't mean to imply you called me unpatriotic (although it wouldn't bother me if you had.) so sorry if that's the impression my comments gave.

Even if the tax didn't end until next July, what are you going to figure out in the next few months? Which schools and hospitals to close? Or how many firefighters to lay off?

And England's cold and rainy and has a puppet instead of a prime minster, but thanks for asking. :happy:

us3 11-09-2002 03:08 PM

finally figured our how to post picts...no need to call that rocket scientist, older brother will do.

Quote:

Originally posted by us3



u might be on to something. ppl listening to the kennedy/nixon debate thought nixon won. TV viewers thought opposite.

Bono concurs....

https://images.snapfish.com/3359%3A%3...5%3A%3A5ot1lsi

diamond don't be jealous of her.


Dreadsox 11-09-2002 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees


Property tax and sales tax are the opposite of progressive taxation. They mean that poorer people pay proportionally more of their income in taxation. Progressive taxation is the opposite - richer people should pay proportionally more

Wouldn't they since theoretically their property will be worth more? I am in no way shape or form an expert on taxes.

Quote:

Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees


I didn't mean to imply you called me unpatriotic (although it wouldn't bother me if you had.) so sorry if that's the impression my comments gave.

OK...You are unpatriotic.....said while laughing :laugh: and with admiration.

Quote:

Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees

Even if the tax didn't end until next July, what are you going to figure out in the next few months? Which schools and hospitals to close? Or how many firefighters to lay off?

We get taxed again Next spring....plenty of time to stay solvent for another year....into 2004.

Quote:

Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees

And England's cold and rainy and has a puppet instead of a prime minster, but thanks for asking. :happy:

A puppet....LOL Controlled by who? GW?

diamond 11-09-2002 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by us3
finally figured our how to post picts...no need to call that rocket scientist, older brother will do.


who is that "sexy" anyhow?:angry:
she doesnt look like a Nixon to me..

-diamond
:dance:

deep 11-09-2002 03:57 PM

Could that be the afore mentioned Laura Ingraham?










Yes, conseratives whoop and hollar!

Somebody will be breakin' out the lube.

diamond 11-09-2002 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by deep
Could that be the afore mentioned Laura Ingraham?

She wrote a nice article about Bono like a yr and a half ago.:up:
I wonder if Bono was giving payola for the sexy article?:huh:
Her hair color switch threw me..:angry:

DB9
:dance:










Yes, conseratives whoop and hollar!

Somebody will be breakin' out the lube.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com