U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/f288/)
-   -   Anton Corbijn is directing the video for Electrical Strom (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/f288/anton-corbijn-is-directing-the-video-for-electrical-strom-62987.html)

ishkash 08-24-2002 02:44 AM

Anton Corbijn is directing the video for Electrical Strom

Evening Herald, August 23, 2002

Dave Kenny

Late august and the south of France is heaving with holidaymakers, kicking back and enjoying the sweltering heat.

All over Le Midi suntan oil being applied, ice buckets are being filled and the great Gallic summer holiday has banished all thoughts of work to mid-September.

Except one small corner of the Cote d'Azur -- Eze sur Mer -- where the hardest working rock band in the world (and a mermaid) are slaving over a hot camera, putting together the video for their next single, "Electrical Storm."

The shoot directed by veteran photographer and filmmaker Anton Corbijn -- is heavy on the pyrotechnics, not least those exhibited by heart-throb Larry as he gets to grips with a gorgeous mermaid, played by Hollywood actress Samantha Morton.

Filming on the seafront at Eze sur Mer dragged on from 6 a.m. on Wednesday to 3 a.m. yesterday [Thursday] and Dublin's Evening Herald photographer Kyran O'Brien was on hand to snap these exclusive pictures of the lads at work.

It proves that life as a rock star is not all lolling about on sun loungers by the pool. However, the U2 crew and their partners still know how to relax and after shooting finished and the rushes had been perused, they put on their glad rags and jetted off to Caroline Corr's wedding in Majorca, where they are currently...Staring at The Sun.
----------------
https://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=2474

Kazd7 08-24-2002 03:35 AM

cool.i like Anton Corbijn's work, me hopes the video is adventourous like One.Joseph Kahn sucks, nice that boys have dropped him.

HelloAngel 08-24-2002 07:53 AM

Please submit news articles to me.

This is a great news item, however I cannot post it if the only known URL is to another fan site.
Can someone submit the direct URL to the print source to me?

Thanks.

ishkash 08-24-2002 09:30 AM

hello HelloAngel,

Well I have looked all over the web and unfortunatley this is not a web publication.

Take a hard look at this pic guys, that guitar can't play pop music
https://www.atu2.com/news/save/elecstorm5.jpg

CrashedCarDriver 08-24-2002 11:42 AM

anton rules big time

for one, he singlehandedly has made depeche mode (one of the many bands which are associated with : him echo and the bunnymen are another) one of the coolest bands in the past 2 decades, especially the fact depeche mode sprung from that synthesizer pop music genre many dub as 'the genre for gay people'

its odd that anton has only directed 1 or 2 videos for U2, even though he is their official photographer

sharky 08-24-2002 12:03 PM

WOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOO!

This is great news! The band seriously needed to have Anton do another video for them. One is GENIUS and Please was a great video as well. I can't wait for this one.

And if anyone can explain U2's deal with Joseph Kahn, I would appreciate. I have a feeling Joseph sold his soul to the devil for that gig. The European Stuck video was so much better than that football thing. The football video was neat but definitely NOT their greatest.

follower 08-24-2002 12:55 PM

I like the news, Anton Corbijn is really competent. They have always worked really well together. I think weŽll have a 1st class video this time around.
:up:

Zoocifer 08-24-2002 01:04 PM

I think Anton Corbijn should stick with photography. He has made some "dodgy" videos in the past with other bands (Depeche Mode anyone?) and sometimes his images are just plain ridiculous. Excellent photos, though.

- z -

cass 08-24-2002 01:28 PM

it's all about light........
ty ishkash, warming news.I love Anton's work
The imagery of this song just gets better imho.

I hope all is going well for you in the garden state:)

diamond 08-24-2002 02:23 PM

pardon my ignorance as i never find out who directs which vids
but-
which "One" vid and others is Anton C credited for?

DB9:scratch:

Mirrorball Girl 08-24-2002 02:33 PM

:happy:

*returns briefly from no-internet exile*

AAAAANTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is such great news! I love Anton! I can't wait to hear this song. Isn't it about time for it to show up on the internet?? I can't believe they've managed to keep it from leaking out for this long.

Hallelujah Here She Comes 08-24-2002 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by diamond
pardon my ignorance as i never find out who directs which vids
but-
which "One" vid and others is Anton C credited for?

DB9:scratch:

The black & white one with the boys in drag.

Swan269 08-24-2002 05:16 PM

He also did the Please video and the version of Pride that never really aired (I think).:shrug:

ishkash 08-24-2002 05:31 PM

staring at the sun

Not too sure but I think Anton also did Staring at the Sun, studio version or was it Kevin Godley.The other one was done Morleigh, I think it was Anton Corbijn??

david 08-24-2002 05:37 PM

i love the video he made for nirvana's heart shaped box.

Swan269 08-24-2002 05:40 PM

Ironically he also did LIAR from Henry Rollins

ishkash 08-24-2002 05:51 PM

Well some of the comments posted here off late have made Henry Rollins a wuss!

I think Anton Corbijn has done 4 U2 videos, but his web site credits for only 2 (One and Please).

CrashedCarDriver 08-25-2002 12:35 AM

well anton is someone who perceives the feel of a song to be different to everyone else

as he states in the Depeche Mode video, he tries to get the feel of the song rather than the lyrics

and thats how a video like Personal Jesus looked so unrelated to the lyrics, a westerner? hmm :eyebrow:

that and anton loves the grainy effect for his videos

mike63 08-25-2002 02:39 AM

Electrical Storm on radio

within the next 2 hours, on BBC Radio 1 !!!

A Maaaaaaan 08-26-2002 08:34 AM

He`s a good choice!:yes: