U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Free Your Mind Archive (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/f290/)
-   -   Enronism (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/f290/enronism-46739.html)

zoomerang II 02-07-2002 04:20 AM

Enronism
 
Capitalism:
You can have 2 cows. You sell one and buy a bull. Your herd multiplies and the economy grows. You sell them and retire on the income.

Communism:
You have 2 cows. Your neighbors help take care of them and you all share in the milk.

Enronism:
You have 2 cows.
You sell 3 of them to your publicly listed company, using letters of credit opened by your brother-in-law at the bank, then execute a debt/equity swap with an associated general offer so you get all 4 cows back, with a tax exemption for 5 cows. The milk rights of the 6 cows are transferred via an intermediary to a Cayman Island company secretly owned by the majority shareholder, who sells the rights to all 7 cows back to your listed company.
The annual report states that the company owns 8 cows, with an option on one more.

Angela Harlem 02-07-2002 08:39 AM

One-Tel'ism: You have 1 cow, take 2 cows profit. Keep another set of books and show the auditor a pig farm.

Lemonite 02-07-2002 11:37 AM

Haven't you Heard.. Sicy has proclaimed this topic EXHAUSTED...

Moderator.. Hold true to your word, and Close this Thread.

L.Unplugged

zoomerang II 02-07-2002 12:08 PM

wtf? I thought a little humour wouldn't go astray around here ...

...please accept my apologies - i promise to never again post anything resmebling light hearted humour in here https://forum.interference.com/u2feedback/rolleyes.gif


------------------
In the stillness of the evening
When the sun has had its day
I heard your voice whispering...

Achtung Bubba 02-07-2002 12:26 PM

If I may weigh in, I think these topics should remain open. After all, Enron is one of the news stories of the day.

camiloj 02-07-2002 01:06 PM

I agree that the topic should remain open and I am opposed to the fact that the prior ones were closed. I don't feel that a Moderator has the right (they have the power yes, but the right?) to say when a topic has been exhausted. If people still want to talk about it, it is not exhasuted. If you are exhausted from reading it, ask Elvis to appoint someone else but I thought it was kind of Iron-curtainish to have it closed when people were still posting. Just my 2 cents on the thing.

I think Enron-talk is fine, it is the Whitewater of this decade and God knows how much fun political pundits had with Whitewater and indpenedent investigations.

Achtung Bubba 02-07-2002 01:23 PM

Thing is, we moderators do have the right, as established in the contract that everyone had to agree to become forum members.

Honestly, it was clear that the first closed thread was getting out of hand.

Whether the second thread should have been closed is another matter, but I *do* think further discussions should be allowed to continue.

U2Bama 02-07-2002 01:45 PM

U2LA:

Your contributions to this forum lately remind me of why I presented you with the "Interferencer of the Year" Award. You are always so well mannered and non-confrontational. I may not always agree with you politically, but I truly admire your style of debate and commentary (see: RATE THE SPEECH thread). Glad to have you around here again.

I can't help but ask: did someone "request" Lemonite's ANOTHER ENRON POLITICAL ANALYSIS thread be closed?

~U2Alabama

Like O2 02-07-2002 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by zoomerang II:
...please accept my apologies - i promise to never again post anything resmebling light hearted humour in here

Yeah!! WTF were you thinking?!? https://forum.interference.com/u2feedback/wink.gif



------------------
"See, the rock star gets his way! Thank you very much. This feels very Elvis. Thank you."

Bono ~ Houston, Texas 4-02-01

SicilianGoddess 02-07-2002 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SicilianGoddess in the following thread - ANOTHER ENRON POLITICAL ANALYSIS:
I didnt close the other thread but I've been given the OK to close this one.


The original thread was not closed by me, but it was closed due to the fact that it was out of control and going nowhere. Normally when a thread that has gotten as bad as that and has been closed, Elvis feels very strongly about people posting a new thread of the same topic. I discussed the second thread with him and he agreed it should be closed.

Forgive me but I feel that one of the main problems is the fact that Bubba and melon dont agree and never will and will continue to 'exhaust' the topic until no end.

I of all people dont have any problem with humor, but everyone sees humor in different ways. I dont see the problem with continuing the discussion in a different light but when the same topic repeatedly cannot be kept under control, what are we supposed to do? We as moderators do have the right to close any thread we feel should be closed.

I was just trying to save more aggravation and frustration.




------------------
It's cold in the ground
But there's peace in the sound
Of the white and the black
Spilling over


Sicy's Website

U2Bama 02-07-2002 09:37 PM

Sicilia:

Thanks for the explanation; that makes sense.

In fact, Spiral_Staircase gave a very good, reasoned response to the original Enron thread, but it got lost amidst the "Main Event" that was going on in there. Similarly, Lemonite posted a good "alternate perspective" that I thought deserved reponse, but it met the same fate as the Michael Moore Enron article met from some of the conservatives: the liberals around here accused it of being partisan and therefore entirely dismissed it.

I don't envy your position amongst these forums; but I hope a topic as relevant won't be permanently "off-limits."

~U2Alabama

[This message has been edited by U2Bama (edited 02-07-2002).]

Crzy4Bono 02-07-2002 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by zoomerang II:
wtf? I thought a little humour wouldn't go astray around here ...

...please accept my apologies - i promise to never again post anything resmebling light hearted humour in here https://forum.interference.com/u2feedback/rolleyes.gif



I thought it was funny! https://forum.interference.com/u2feedback/smile.gif



------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

U2live 02-07-2002 09:45 PM

This area should be renamed the Ronald Reagan Board.

camiloj 02-08-2002 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by U2Bama:
U2LA:

You are always so well mannered and non-confrontational...

~U2Alabama

Thanks again Bama, I have not always been that way in this Forum but I try, I know the effect that confronatationalism (is that a word?) has on getting your point across and it is not a good one. That is what I learned.

Quote:

Originally posted by U2Bama:


I can't help but ask: did someone "request" Lemonite's ANOTHER ENRON POLITICAL ANALYSIS thread be closed?

~U2Alabama

I dont know, Sicy closed the first one and then she chose to close the other one based on her decison to close the first one! I thought it was nice for Lemonite to deliver the opinion from the other extreme (Moore being one extreme) and I was looking forward to more dialogue. None of it from me, though, I'd rather read. My only stated opinion is that there were people who despised and hated Clinton and fueled the Kenneth Starr Whitewater investigation and now Karma seems to be coming right back at them. It's just politics as usual. Nothing more, nothing less, although I doubt we'll get a cigar out of this investigation!

Oh yeah, I did like the joke that initially started this thread, it was funny and not partisan, go figure!

[This message has been edited by U2LA (edited 02-07-2002).]

camiloj 02-08-2002 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by SicilianGoddess:
Quote:

Originally posted by SicilianGoddess in the following thread - ANOTHER ENRON POLITICAL ANALYSIS:
I didnt close the other thread but I've been given the OK to close this one.


The original thread was not closed by me, but it was closed due to the fact that it was out of control and going nowhere. Normally when a thread that has gotten as bad as that and has been closed, Elvis feels very strongly about people posting a new thread of the same topic. I discussed the second thread with him and he agreed it should be closed.

Forgive me but I feel that one of the main problems is the fact that Bubba and melon dont agree and never will and will continue to 'exhaust' the topic until no end.

I of all people dont have any problem with humor, but everyone sees humor in different ways. I dont see the problem with continuing the discussion in a different light but when the same topic repeatedly cannot be kept under control, what are we supposed to do? We as moderators do have the right to close any thread we feel should be closed.

I was just trying to save more aggravation and frustration.



Ok Sicy, sorry for the misunderstanding! I guess all I could remember was your comments about it being exhausted.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com