U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Free Your Mind (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/f199/)
-   -   German court outlaws circumcision for boys (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/f199/german-court-outlaws-circumcision-for-boys-214092.html)

anitram 06-28-2012 12:27 PM

There is a massive difference if you are talking about female genital mutilation, which causes fistulas, an inability to urinate, death, etc.

What male circumcision could probably properly be compared to is the removal of the clitoral hood (and even then it is very questionable because male circumcision would still result in the vast majority of men being able to experience orgasm while the removal of the clitoral hood would result in the opposite - ie. the vast majority of women would no longer be able to climax).

ETA: There is also some medical science supporting the thesis that male circumcision leads to lower HIV infection rates in countries where hygiene is an issue - italics mine because this last part is often left out. There is no medical reason whatsoever to remove the clitoral hood.

Canadiens1131 06-28-2012 12:38 PM

Kind of silly that God wants you to cut a part of your dick off.

No thanks.

Jive Turkey 06-28-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anitram
There is a massive difference if you are talking about female genital mutilation, which causes fistulas, an inability to urinate, death, etc.

What male circumcision could probably properly be compared to is the removal of the clitoral hood (and even then it is very questionable because male circumcision would still result in the vast majority of men being able to experience orgasm while the removal of the clitoral hood would result in the opposite - ie. the vast majority of women would no longer be able to climax).

ETA: There is also some medical science supporting the thesis that male circumcision leads to lower HIV infection rates in countries where hygiene is an issue - italics mine because this last part is often left out. There is no medical reason whatsoever to remove the clitoral hood.

The point is that it's genital mutilation against one's will. Babies still die from botched circumcision or even more pleasantly, die from herpes transmitted by the mohel.
There's also evidence that the loss in sensitivity of the glans is responsible for at least some instances of erectile dysfunction

ladyfreckles 06-28-2012 03:21 PM

Cutting off a part of your body just to slightly lower the risk of you getting an STD when we live in a world full of condoms is kind of ridiculous.

deep 06-28-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Male circumcision is the surgical removal of some or all of the foreskin (prepuce) from the penis. Early depictions of circumcision are found in cave paintings and Ancient Egyptian tombs, though some pictures are open to interpretation. Circumcision is often performed for religious reasons. In Judaism, it is considered a commandment from God.
Let's set the record straight,
it is a commandment from God.

Wandering around in the desert all those years, one would encounter a lot of sand storms.
And with loose robes, well, sand is little bitty pieces of glass, that could get quite uncomfortable.

anitram 06-28-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyfreckles (Post 7535698)
Cutting off a part of your body just to slightly lower the risk of you getting an STD when we live in a world full of condoms is kind of ridiculous.

It certainly is in North America and Europe and in such places there is no sound medical reason for this.

It gets a bit more grey in African countries where HIV infections did drop (statistically significantly) among circumcised men. Again, this is a function of access to hygiene, but in places where condoms may be unavailable due to remoteness of location, too expensive for someone living on a buck a day, or culturally not accepted and where the HIV is at epidemic levels, there may be some argument for medical merit. As the WHO has advocated, for example.

ladyfreckles 06-28-2012 04:15 PM

You make a valid point, anitram. :up:

Axver 07-02-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liesje (Post 7535347)
I don't doubt it but that is half of American boys as a whole. If you look at the smaller context of the community in which I was raised, live, and work I'd honestly be impressed if you found one, so it's not just the father but the peers as well.

I find this absolutely astonishing. You'd find it extremely difficult to find a circumcised male under the age of about 40 or 45 in Australia and New Zealand. Hell, when a friend of a friend had sex with a circumcised guy, it was a novelty topic of discussion.

Caleb8844 07-02-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axver (Post 7537019)
I find this absolutely astonishing. You'd find it extremely difficult to find a circumcised male under the age of about 40 or 45 in Australia and New Zealand. Hell, when a friend of a friend had sex with a circumcised guy, it was a novelty topic of discussion.

It's funny, cuz where I live, I had the same situation, except it was so interesting because it was an UNcircumcised guy.

financeguy 07-21-2012 09:40 PM

Christopher Hitchens Goes After Rabbi Harold Kushner re: Circumcision - YouTube

Nothing to add.

Irvine511 07-22-2012 12:13 AM

i used to go to the CT Forum in high school. good to see it was continuing. it was fantastic for a teenager to see heavyweights in action like that.

there is no reason for circumcision. none. if i had a child i would not circumcise him. period.

deep 07-28-2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

“For God’s Sake My Penis Was Ruined”
Did I ruin my son's penis? | Sarah Tuttle| The Times of Israel

Steved1998 07-28-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvine511 (Post 7544222)
i used to go to the CT Forum in high school. good to see it was continuing. it was fantastic for a teenager to see heavyweights in action like that.

there is no reason for circumcision. none. if i had a child i would not circumcise him. period.

I hope your son enjoys the smegma that's going to ooze out of that ugly little wormy looking thing

cobl04 07-28-2012 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvine511

Many are done for medical reasons.

anitram 07-28-2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steved1998 (Post 7547140)
I hope your son enjoys the smegma that's going to ooze out of that ugly little wormy looking thing

We should cut off the labia then too.

Steved1998 07-28-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anitram (Post 7547156)
We should cut off the labia then too.

That's like comparing apples to some fruit nobody ever heard of.

Maybe we should ban abortion? You don't want anyone telling you what to do with your body. Don't tell anyone what to do with mine.

Irvine511 07-29-2012 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steved1998

You don't want anyone telling you what to do with your body. Don't tell anyone what to do with mine.

Millions of baby boys have thought the same thing as their penises were being mutilated.

LemonMelon 07-29-2012 06:17 AM

I find it amusing that Germany of all places made such a distinctly anti-Semitic ruling. They need to get over that shit.

Vincent Vega 07-29-2012 06:41 AM

The kid was Muslim. :p

Anyway, politicians were quick to intervene and now passed a law legalizing circumcision.
It was such a great chance to put an end to the entire conflict in the Middle East, just having Muslims and Jews unite to rail against the insensitive Germans outlawing circumcision of boys, thereby realizing "Goddammit, we are one and the same!"

:wink:

digitize 07-29-2012 07:28 AM

Arabs (though not Persians) are Semitic too, actually.