U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Put 'Em Under Pressure (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/f223/)
-   -   The all-things-tennis thread. (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/f223/the-all-things-tennis-thread-213233.html)

nielsgov 09-10-2012 06:30 PM

Crazy match so far.

nielsgov 09-10-2012 06:38 PM

He surely won't fuck it up now, will he?

MrsSpringsteen 09-10-2012 06:56 PM

Fingers crossed. I love Andy Murray.

Good thing it will be over soon though because I can't stand McEnroe's whining anymore. He's better today so far, maybe his boss at CBS told him to cool it. But the last Murray match with all the wind, I was ready to throw something at my tv.

nielsgov 09-10-2012 06:58 PM

I just turned the sound off (I'm watching Sky via a live stream) and put on some Animal Collective. Weird experience, but it works.

MrsSpringsteen 09-10-2012 07:44 PM

Not giving up on him but it's not looking good right now :( He needs some of that Serena mojo.

Mary Carillo just said that Andy's got to win it in 4 or he'll lose it in 5.

cobl04 09-10-2012 08:34 PM

Come on Murray!!!!

bono_man2002 09-10-2012 09:06 PM

GET AROUND HIM!! :up:

cobl04 09-10-2012 09:14 PM

Shit celebration, shit speech, shit questioning from that woman, but what a victory. I think it will hit him later. He doesn't realise yet.

cobl04 09-10-2012 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen

Mary Carillo just said that Andy's got to win it in 4 or he'll lose it in 5.

not only was she wrong but her opening line was "there are bagpipes playing all over Scotland tonight" rubbish call!

bono_man2002 09-10-2012 09:17 PM

Same goes for the Women's ceremony yesterday it was all over so quickly and it seemed just silly.

Hewson 09-10-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hewson (Post 7565865)
I have this weird sense that Murray finally gets a slam.

Well done Murray.
Good match.

I for one like McEnroe, especially in instances like when the chair umpire calls a time warning on Djokovic which Mary Carillo calls "gutsy" and McEnroe retorts that it was a "stupid" call. He tells it like it is, and knows the game very well.

MrsSpringsteen 09-10-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hewson

I for one like McEnroe, especially in instances like when the chair umpire calls a time warning on Djokovic which Mary Carillo calls "gutsy" and McEnroe retorts that it was a "stupid" call. He tells it like it is, and knows the game very well.

No doubt about that, I didn't mean that. I meant his whining about the weather and the rescheduling. It was incessant, even that McAtee (is
that his name?) said let me talk at one point. He was so cranky that he sounded like a spoiled kid. He definitely knows tennis.

Great match. Maybe the cramps did him in.

U2DMfan 09-11-2012 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen (Post 7567285)
He needs some of that Serena mojo.

You mean steroids?

Vlad n U 2 09-11-2012 02:45 AM

Nice work, Murray. About time he won a slam final. :up:

Hewson 09-11-2012 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by U2DMfan (Post 7567399)
You mean steroids?

She's not on steroids, just produces more testerone than most and has a large adam's apple, and big hands and a big...:ohmy:.

:wink:

MrsSpringsteen 09-11-2012 10:26 AM

I don't know anything about that, I assume there's plenty of testing in tennis. Especially in the Olympics, and she just participated in that. Just as in other sports though there must be things you can take that testing can't catch.

And it is possible for a woman to be that athletic and to have a body like that. I give her the benefit of the doubt until she tests otherwise. I'm sure people are starting to question, since she came back from her health issues and injuries.

nielsgov 09-11-2012 11:30 AM

Damn, I stopped watching after the third set because it was already 01.30 AM. I expected Djokovic to snatch it after that. Good on Murray.

U2DMfan 09-11-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen (Post 7567480)
I don't know anything about that, I assume there's plenty of testing in tennis. Especially in the Olympics, and she just participated in that. Just as in other sports though there must be things you can take that testing can't catch.

And it is possible for a woman to be that athletic and to have a body like that. I give her the benefit of the doubt until she tests otherwise. I'm sure people are starting to question, since she came back from her health issues and injuries.

Just don't fall out of your chair when this all breaks out one of these days.
My guess is - if/when Serena can manage to win 5 more slams and approach Steffi Graf. (Margaret Court has the most - 24 - but Steffi is the modern benchmark and widely considered the best ever). She needs 7 more to tie her. For the record, Steffi won her 22nd and last grand slam at age 29. Serena is 31 and still dominating. That's suspicious enough. The ageless wonder and absolute physical specimen Navratilova won one slam past the age of 30. And while Serena is likely subject to better physical training than the older players, she is also facing younger, faster and stronger players. So it is relative.

It wasn't until Bonds became a serious challenger to Aaron that they turned their focus on him. This - considering when I was about 19, 20, we were talking about him being on steroids back then...in 1994/1995. And we (my peers) were talking about McGwire being on steroids when I was in junior high and high school. Especially him and Canseco back in '88 and '89. a full ten years before the big home run chase with Sosa.

Of course there was no testing for it in baseball at that time. But there was in cycling with Armstrong. And there was in the Olympics with Marion Jones. And from what I hear, tennis' drug testing isn't all that stringent.

All that said, she's basically always had a body like that. That's not the issue for me. It's how she has rebounded, at her age, from all of those injuries.

The one thing steroids and most PED's do is allow you to work out longer and thus overcome injury but especially as you get older. How many female tennis players PLAY until 31, much less dominate the way she has. All the greats of the game were more or less done by 30.

It's why Ken Griffey Jr's body broke down when all of his peers were breaking records. He wasn't on the juice like them. Serena's body was breaking down a but...and then now she's steamrolling people like she was 22 years old. Serena, if she's doping, might be more analogous to A-Rod. He was a Hall-of-Famer before he ever touched the stuff. He only went to it to recover from an injury. Roger Clemens, most likely, is the exact same scenario.

This blog claims she wasn't even tested in 2010 and 2011.
Tennis Has a Steroid Problem: Panic on the Grass Court

Hewson 09-11-2012 04:37 PM

Some not being Tourist

Quote:

Originally Posted by U2DMfan (Post 7567594)
It's why Ken Griffey Jr's body broke down when all of his peers were breaking records. He wasn't on the juice like them.

Some would say Griffey's joint injuries are consistent with steroid use as was his bell curve of home run power...16 22 22 27 45 40 17(72 games)49 56 56 48 40 22 8 13 20 35 27 30 18 15 3 19 0

MrsSpringsteen 09-11-2012 05:14 PM

I know something about steroids, just not if she's on them. Would guess it's likely. I don't get why tennis doesn't have strict testing. I know she does look like she could snap Andy Murray like a twig :D