U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Free Your Mind (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/f199/)
-   -   Bullying - What Can Be Done? (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/f199/bullying-what-can-be-done-212696.html)

BVS 03-01-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jive Turkey (Post 7478986)
How do you mean?

I find that a choice of word "bullying" vs "harassment" would change your frame of perspective that much very odd. I think part of the problem is that some seem very quick to dismiss the seriousness of issues such as this based on very trivial reasoning.

Jive Turkey 03-01-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVS (Post 7478990)
I find that a choice of word "bullying" vs "harassment" would change your frame of perspective that much very odd. I think part of the problem is that some seem very quick to dismiss the seriousness of issues such as this based on very trivial reasoning.

That's not unreasonable, but wording is important. It wouldn't be the only instance where your choice of words would influence how others thought about a given situation. If something is serious, use the appropriate language

Pearl 03-01-2012 04:57 PM

Sometimes the words "bullying" or "bully" is appropriate. The problems I experienced in the newsroom were similar to that of high school bullying. I mean, the smear campaigns, getting others to ignore me - you can't get any more high school than that.

But since its a professional environment that is not supposed to tolerate such things because you'd think adults would know better, maybe "harassment" is the appropriate word.

BVS 03-01-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jive Turkey (Post 7478997)
If something is serious, use the appropriate language

Once again you're implying it's not serious if someone came to you and said they were being "bullied".

Let me ask you just so we're on the same page: How do you define 'bullying', and 'harassment'?

Jive Turkey 03-01-2012 05:16 PM

How do you define 'tummy ache' and 'sore stomach'? I've never said they're different, but one phrase is more age appropriate than the other. But anyway, as I said, it's not really worth putting any more discussion into.

yolland 03-01-2012 05:22 PM

Yeah, weak and inconsistent establishment of an agreed-upon language for these kinds of offenses is part of the problem. I think this might've been the reason why it was women rather than men who led the initial push against the former administrator of mine I described earlier; even though his conduct towards women was overall considerably worse in terms of degree of invasiveness, at least there was an established concept there that everyone recognized and had some fairly concrete understanding of--sexual harassment--to be invoked, whereas the men who subsequently came forward all seemed to have an attitude of "Well, all I really had to say was that he'd been an asshole to me, and I didn't want to be a whiner and a wuss." ("...especially since he was going to be signing off on my tenure decision...") Actually, I wasn't thinking about this earlier, but several years back I did file a harassment complaint myself against a (female) interim superior, not because I personally felt intimidated--I was actually better-established and my position more secure than hers, so my reaction was " :rolleyes: Yeah, whatever b**** "--but because a colleague I recounted the incident to pointed out that what she said to me could've been highly intimidating to a younger and less established faculty member (she'd been reviewing my student evaluations with me at the time) and urged me to report it. I'm not sure it would've otherwise occurred to me to conceive of it as harassment.

the iron horse 03-01-2012 08:19 PM

Amazon.com: Killing Monsters: Why Children Need Fantasy, Super Heroes, and Make-Believe Violence (9780465036950): Gerard Jones: Books

Diemen 03-01-2012 08:23 PM

Have you read the book and do you have some insight that is relevant to this thread, or are you simply going to post links without any commentary?

the iron horse 03-01-2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diemen (Post 7479221)
Have you read the book and do you have some insight that is relevant to this thread, or are you simply going to post links without any commentary?

I have read the book.

If you have a question, ask.

Diemen 03-01-2012 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the iron horse

I have read the book.

If you have a question, ask.

Very well.

1. How does this book address bullies?

2. Having read the book, what is your opinion on the subject under discussion in this thread?

Jive Turkey 03-01-2012 08:34 PM

Can we start erasing his posts? He clearly gets off on it and it's probably the only way to make him stop

the iron horse 03-01-2012 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jive Turkey (Post 7479230)
Can we start erasing his posts? He clearly gets off on it and it's probably the only way to make him stop

Erase his posts?

Make him stop what?

Asking questions?

cobl04 03-01-2012 08:40 PM

Blatant trolling.

the iron horse 03-01-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobl04 (Post 7479239)
Blatant trolling.

Who is trolling?

Who is avoiding the discussion?

What do you think?

cobl04 03-01-2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the iron horse

Who is trolling?

What do you think?

You! Answer diemen's questions just a few posts above!!!

coolian2 03-01-2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the iron horse (Post 7479243)

you jumped the shark here.

BoMac 03-01-2012 08:52 PM

In case you missed it, The Iron Horse.

Please answer the questions below:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diemen (Post 7479229)
Very well.

2. Having read the book, what is your opinion on the subject under discussion in this thread?

Quote:

Very well.

Quote:

Very well.

Quote:

Very well.

the iron horse 03-01-2012 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoMac (Post 7479249)
In case you missed it, The Iron Horse.

Please answer the questions below:

Isn't it nice that so many of you checked the link
on the book?

Reading is fun:wave:

Jive Turkey 03-01-2012 09:04 PM

Ban this asshole

Diemen 03-01-2012 09:06 PM

Ok, that's enough of the ganging up.