U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Free Your Mind Archive (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/f290/)
-   -   the conservative case for same sex marriage (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/f290/the-conservative-case-for-same-sex-marriage-204380.html)

BVS 08-11-2011 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pearl (Post 7321608)
Yeah, but its Sesame Street. In the real world, no creature lives in a garbage can and giant yellow birds don't exist.

True, but aren't Bert and Ernie suppose to be "human"?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pearl (Post 7321608)
Why so?

If Sesame Street introduces a gay character, fine. But having Bert and Ernie as gay? Nah! It just...I don't know, irks me in some way.

I think assigning sexuality to them would be hard to explain to their demographic. If you make them gay and in a relationship, then why do they sleep in separate beds? If you make them straight then do you have them talking about girls and hanging a sock on the door? Straight or gay you would have to start talking about attraction and dating, otherwise why assign a sexuality to them?

Pearl 08-11-2011 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVS (Post 7321628)
True, but aren't Bert and Ernie suppose to be "human"?

According to the article link I posted, the executives of Sesame Street say they're just puppets. :shrug:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVS (Post 7321628)
I think assigning sexuality to them would be hard to explain to their demographic. If you make them gay and in a relationship, then why do they sleep in separate beds? If you make them straight then do you have them talking about girls and hanging a sock on the door? Straight or gay you would have to start talking about attraction and dating, otherwise why assign a sexuality to them?

Good point.

BVS 08-11-2011 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pearl

According to the article link I posted, the executives of Sesame Street say they're just puppets. :shrug:

:lol:

kramwest1 08-11-2011 11:46 AM

Let's face it, if there are gay muppets, it's Statler and Waldorf. Two guys that regularly attend bad theater and are hyper-critical of it?

Just sayin'
https://images.wikia.com/muppet/image...lerWaldorf.JPG

kramwest1 08-11-2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen (Post 7321612)
I think they're adults and I think they're asexual. Just like the Odd Couple dudes.

This how I see Bert and Ernie, too.
I think they are socially awkward nerds that would be living in there parents' basements if they were in any other city than NYC.

:shrug:

(New Thread Time, too)

MrsSpringsteen 08-11-2011 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pearl (Post 7321633)
they're just puppets

Noooooooooo :(

I had an Ernie puppet when I was a kid, that was one of my favorite toys. I never questioned why they lived together or slept in beds in the same room. I knew nothing about any of that.

Caleb8844 08-11-2011 12:21 PM

....for some reason, I always assumed they were just brothers

INDY500 08-11-2011 11:20 PM

Can we draw any conclusions from the fact they often have a fist up their ass?

jonnytakeawalk 08-12-2011 04:29 AM

Why should puppets need to have a sexual orientation?? It's only strange to adults that two male best friends live together, kids wouldn't question it.

MrsSpringsteen 08-12-2011 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by INDY500 (Post 7322407)

Really, that was necessary?

BAW 08-12-2011 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen (Post 7322602)

Speaks volumes though, doesn't it? Once again, the entire essence of being a gay man is reduced down to a crudely worded sex act.

melon 08-12-2011 12:43 PM

Don't feed the trolls!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caleb8844 (Post 7321728)
....for some reason, I always assumed they were just brothers

As did I.

corianderstem 08-12-2011 02:31 PM

I believe I read somewhere the other day that the "intent" of Bert and Ernie was that they were best friends, even though they were so completely different, to show kids that you could make friends with people who weren't like you.

Also, I believe the Muppets on Sesame Street are supposed to be viewed as children* because children are the ones relating to them. The adults on Sesame Street are human.

Statler and Waldorf don't count, as they were on The Muppet Show and not Sesame Street, and that's a show with completely different reason for being.

*This doesn't exactly explain why Bert has such a monobrow, but I suppose there are hirsute children who need someone to relate to as well. :)

INDY500 08-12-2011 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen (Post 7322602)

I'm trying to make Keith Olbermann's "Worst Person in the World" list.