U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Restart and Reboot Yourself (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/f295/)
-   -   iTunes Tips (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/f295/itunes-tips-190612.html)

redkat 10-30-2008 12:48 AM

iTunes Tips

I know people out there have found better ways to do things with itunes than I have. If you have tips or tricks what are they? All advice welcome!

periodically I lose a bunch of music. I think somehow the file path gets changed. (?) "location not available" is the error on my computer. Is there a way to really prevent that from happening? or does it not happen to smrt people.

Also I currently am showing 2260 duplicate songs. After spending about 20 minutes deleting one by one I gave up, please tell me there is a better way :crack:

RedRocksU2 10-30-2008 01:45 AM

What exactly is it that you need help with Kat?
How to remove the duplicates easier?

redkat 10-30-2008 08:41 AM

yes there HAS to be a more efficient way of deleting the duplicates :)

and
Do your music files go missing like that? I don't understand how that happens. I'm missing 100's of songs right now.

RedRocksU2 10-30-2008 12:50 PM

Well, I found this page; Managing Duplicates in iTunes

However, after reading it I did not find an easier way of doing it.

Missing files has never been a problem for me. When was the last time you updated your iTunes library?

RedRocksU2 10-30-2008 12:52 PM

btw, you are not the only one;
HELP: iTunes Music Duplicates....YES I"VE SEARCHED! - Mac Forums

:lol:

ABEL 10-30-2008 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redkat (Post 5574624)
yes there HAS to be a more efficient way of deleting the duplicates :)

and
Do your music files go missing like that? I don't understand how that happens. I'm missing 100's of songs right now.

somehow i completely lost my complete u2 off my video ipod. but luckily i have it backed up on my external drive so i just had to copy the songs to my library again and i was back in business. of course i have it on my u2 ipod too. i think it happened cuz i had "automatically update" checked. so it overwrote everything that wasn't in the folder if that makes sense. i'm not that 'smart' either when it comes to itunes. i don't use it that often and i have to relearn it every time.

also one time i had a problem with missing files because that particular computer wasn't "authorized" to play the songs i hadn't played on it yet on ituens which i think is a dumb feature of itunes. if it's "free" to use why are we only allowed 5 "authorized" computers? or maybe i'm not understanding something.

also i think i had a problem with so called 'missing files' that weren't really missing. only that there was a duplicate, if i remember correctly.

also next time i update my ipod i'm going to organize everything in folders and save it on my external so i don't have to worry about 'losing' anything again. luckily i've only added things from cd's anyway so i never really lose anything, it's just a pain and time consuming.

redkat 10-30-2008 10:46 PM

Thank you, I'm going to sit on that forum for a bit.

It's not authorizing the files on my back up cd either. I have to get my cd's out and re rip the songs leading to more duplicates :mad:

redkat 10-31-2008 12:17 AM

FYI the new nano sucks

I thought this problem was just me. I got a 4gen nano last week and "charging is not supported" It only charges plugged into my computer and the battery life is roughly 5 hours.

Warning: New iPod nano will not charge with older docks and stereos
Here's a heads up for anyone thinking of buying the new iPod nano. Gizmodo has confirmed that Apple has dropped the firewire charging pin from the device.

They already did this to iPhone when they released the 3G version, meaning that when you connect it to a device like a speaker dock or a car stereo you won't be able to charge it. I've had this problem with my iPhone 3G and my car stereo and it is infuriating because I can't see any reason for them to remove the functionality other than to drive the manufacturing costs down by a few pennies.

Ace Rimmer 11-01-2008 03:52 PM

I let let itunes take over the mp3s on my computer once and vowed never to do it again..

I organise my mp3s manually into folders and sub folders using windows explorer, Then if I want to export them into itunes, I add them a folder at a time and edit the properties (title,album,genre), It takes a bit of time to get it organised but Its a lot less fuss then letting itunes organise it, now don't have any problems, The only problem I have is when I move a file on my PC and itunes cant find it, Then I just tell it were it is.

I just make sure that the following are NOT ticked

keep itunes music folder organised
Copy files to itunes music folder when adding to library.

This means the files and folders on my computer will remain untouched in the folder I placed them in, and itunes will leave them alone

Letting itunes or windows media player organise your mp3s is like letting a 5 year old organise your CD Collection, It would be good if all MP3s had the correct data, but they dont so you end up with mp3s all over the place.

RedRocksU2 11-01-2008 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer (Post 5579546)

Copy files to itunes music folder when adding to library.

This means the files and folders on my computer will remain untouched in the folder I placed them in, and itunes will leave them alone

Letting itunes or windows media player organise your mp3s is like letting a 5 year old organise your CD Collection, It would be good if all MP3s had the correct data, but they dont so you end up with mp3s all over the place.

Exactly. this is what I do as well.

the tourist 11-04-2008 03:09 AM

I keep everything organized by iTunes and have never had a problem with it. Sounds like user error to me. :wink:

the tourist 11-08-2008 04:17 PM

Can you no longer use soundcheck when burning a cd? :huh:

redkat 11-08-2008 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the tourist (Post 5597821)
Can you no longer use soundcheck when burning a cd? :huh:

I don't even know what soundcheck is.:huh:

Here is an adapter for all the new apple products that won't work with existing docks etc.
passPORT at Scosche.com

BrownEyedBoy 11-11-2008 01:41 PM

For windows users, I love controlling iTunes from my taskbar. You right click the taskbar and in the same section where you select "Quicklaunch" and all that other stuff, you can select iTunes and it'll appear on your taskbar and give you pause, previous, next and volume controls. I'm sure most of you might already know about this but when it was revealed to me I found it to be very helpful.

LarryMullen's POPAngel 11-11-2008 02:10 PM

Ok, here's a dumb question. When I click on my music, I get the album art and have the option to play or see the tracklisting for the album. Um, what happened to getting all of my music listed the old fashioned way? :scratch:

elevated_u2_fan 11-11-2008 02:57 PM

Is it set to the Grid Option under View?

LarryMullen's POPAngel 11-11-2008 04:03 PM

I'll have to check that when I get home tonight.

neutral 11-12-2008 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elevated_u2_fan (Post 5603521)
Is it set to the Grid Option under View?

Thank you! :bow: I hate the new display, didn't even think to check the view options. Turning off "grid" fixed it for me.

LarryMullen's POPAngel 11-12-2008 09:53 AM

Fixed here as well. :up:

phanan 11-12-2008 02:38 PM

Yeah, when they did the last iTunes update, they changed the view. So you have to manually change it back to the old way.

elevated_u2_fan 11-12-2008 02:45 PM

The grid is knda cool but I'm a cover flow man, myself...

cdisantis83 11-13-2008 01:17 PM

Another obscure question: is there any way to hide the damnable music store links (i.e., the small arrows next to the song currently selected) in the 8.0 and later versions? The option from earlier versions seems to have disappeared.

redkat 11-13-2008 10:47 PM

hit
control+ shift+ G

:hyper:

actually no that only hides the sidebar :(

Sicy 01-12-2009 09:12 PM

Does anyone know how to transfer a song from your itunes, onto your computer, like as an mp3 file?

elevated_u2_fan 01-14-2009 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sicy (Post 5738981)
Does anyone know how to transfer a song from your itunes, onto your computer, like as an mp3 file?

you mean, like convert an AAC into an MP3?

Sicy 01-15-2009 01:13 AM

Is that what I have to do?

Galeongirl 01-15-2009 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sicy (Post 5747070)
Is that what I have to do?

Or do you mean a song you purchased in the library? If that's the case, find out where it's saved (Ususally my documents\itunes somewhere) and copypaste it.
That works with all songs btw. Just find the location, should be in the properties menu.

Sicy 01-17-2009 06:18 PM

Yeah but it makes it a MPEG 4 file. Can you burn that type of file to cd?

MooMoo! 01-17-2009 07:02 PM

I think itunes will convert those to a CD format.

(isnt mpeg 4 video though?)

I have an iPod question. (didnt want to start a thread) My ipod is formatted to windows, but I have a mac now, so, although it works fine for now, should I, or will I need to reformat it to mac at any point? Is there an advantage to doing it now?

Sicy 01-17-2009 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MooMoo! (Post 5758112)
I think itunes will convert those to a CD format.

(isnt mpeg 4 video though?)

Yeah its weird, the file info says 'MPEG-4 Audio File'

theFly51 01-22-2009 01:24 PM

The biggest fear that i have with my 80gb ipod is that something bad happens to it and I lose everything thats on it because stupid me I dont back up anything! I've got music from like 10 different computers and they're like in different cities. Is there a way I would be able to take all my current music that I have right now on the Ipod and copy it to the Itunes library?

redkat 01-23-2009 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theFly51 (Post 5781175)
The biggest fear that i have with my 80gb ipod is that something bad happens to it and I lose everything thats on it because stupid me I dont back up anything! I've got music from like 10 different computers and they're like in different cities. Is there a way I would be able to take all my current music that I have right now on the Ipod and copy it to the Itunes library?

I've used idump a few times. It was easy to use and comes in handy every now and then. You still might want to back it up after it's on your computer. iDump - Free software downloads and reviews - CNET Download.com

Sicy 02-04-2010 05:04 PM

So what's the easiest way to transfer your iTunes from an old computer to new one? I dont have a huge amount of songs but they are all synched up with my iphone so would I just be able to sync my iphone with the new iTunes on the new comp and it will copy them into the library, or do I manually have to copy the iTunes folder on the hard drive from my old computer to the new one? Then sync? And what else would need to be done? I googled it but I'm getting some conflicting information.

KhanadaRhodes 02-04-2010 09:09 PM

you'd have to move all the music files over to the other computer. if you synced it with an empty itunes library, it'd wipe everything on the ipod.

Sicy 02-05-2010 12:07 AM

I got that part down, it was easy to just move the whole folder to the new computer. All the files show up in iTunes, however, it is telling me that I cant sync my phone because iTunes did not install properly and that I need to install the iTunes 64-bit version. I specifically searched 'iTunes 64-bit version' and installed it. I dont understand. :scream:

*edit.. I think I figured it out.

corianderstem 02-05-2010 12:24 AM

I had that same problem when I loaded iTunes onto my laptop. I had all sorts of problems with it at first. Now it seems to be fine.

Sicy 02-05-2010 01:03 AM

Blarg its not working. I installed the iTunes on the new comp then moved out the iTunes folder and replaced it with my old iTunes folder via instructions on the web, and now when I try to open iTunes it says

The file 'iTunes Library.itl' cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes.

Anyone know? Cori how did you get it to finally work?

Sicy 02-05-2010 01:41 AM

Well I think its working now.... I am following the instructions here

The File "iTunes Library.itl" Cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of itunes? - Yahoo! Answers

((hugs google))

Its updating an iphone software update right now. *crosses fingers*

I already have a love/hate relationship with windows 7.

kafrun 02-05-2010 02:21 AM

I lost almost 1200 songs when my desktop died :crack: They were still on my Nano, I just couldn't figure out how to transfer them onto my new laptop. I eventually figured out how to hook the iPod up to the laptop and transfer all my files to the new iTunes - sneaky, the media files are in a hidden folder in the E: drive. I assume you've already sorted your issue out, but for future reference, it's possible to do it that way, too.

Sicy 11-20-2010 02:11 PM

Having an itunes / iphone problem.. I downloaded a song off amazon and it put it in my itunes, but when I synced my phone, it didnt put the song in my ipod app on the phone and I cant figure out why. It's checkmarked and everything and set to sync all checked songs etc but its not in my list on my phone. Any ideas? :mad:

Purplereign 11-20-2010 02:13 PM

did it come up with an error message "this song can not be transferred" etc pop up notification?

Purplereign 11-20-2010 02:16 PM

came up with this on google????

I bought some new songs on iTunes but they won't transfer to my iPod. They appear on the purchased list b

good luck :hug:

Sicy 11-20-2010 02:20 PM

Well its not an ipod its an iphone so I dont know if that makes a difference. It says rebuild your itunes library but it doesnt say how? I'll do some googling.

Purplereign 11-20-2010 02:26 PM

:doh: . . . always helps to read :lol: . . . the ipod device on the iphone operates in the same manner as the ipod though :reject:

have you tried copying the file to the default music folder on your computer (outside of your itunes library) and then copying it in to your iTunes? I had a couple of files I had to do that with and it seemed to work okay

Sicy 11-21-2010 01:39 PM

So yeah I'm a dumbass. For some reason I didnt have the 'sync music' box checked. :doh:

Purplereign 11-21-2010 01:47 PM

:cute: