U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Free Your Mind (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/f199/)
-   -   The FYM Bar - All Alcohol Discussion Here (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/f199/the-fym-bar-all-alcohol-discussion-here-190551.html)

A_Wanderer 10-31-2008 11:56 PM

The Glenlivet 12 is pretty smooth.

corianderstem 11-01-2008 12:18 AM

Oh, good. Glad I didn't buy a dud. :)

Dreadsox 11-01-2008 12:19 AM

Glenlevit is good.

toscano 11-01-2008 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diemen (Post 5578242)
The local BevMo had the Macallan 12 for $40. I justified it by telling myself it should last for a while. A helluva lot longer than a $40 bottle of wine or $40 in belgian beer, that's for sure. ;)

And I have to say it's quite nice, too. I'm not the best at describing taste, especially in a kind of drink I'm not familiar with, but it's quite smooth, lots of honey on the front and backside, and a nice smokiness over the whole thing. Doesn't get too hot on the finish, either. Good stuff. :up:

I'll be curious to try something like the Glenlivet 12 and see if I can appreciate the differences between it and the Macallan. If I can't, then I know to save money next time around. ;)

I haven't had Glenlivet 12, i'll give it a shot, I'm low on my Macallan and my Dalwhinnie, and my Glenfiddich 18 which was a "best man" present is more of a "break out the really good stuff" drink. Macallan has been my standby forever, and Dalwhinnie I got into about 10 years ago when i got it as a 'thank you' from a Marketing guy at a company i worked at for helping him out.

Ironically, they don't sell Macallan 12 in Scotland......they have a 10 as their low end, skip 12 and go to 18 as the next one up. 18 is about triple the price of the 12 but when I was at Costco yesterday I noticed a "kirkland" 18 year old made by the macallan folks at about 80, might be worth a try.

So many drinks, only 1 liver..........

Dreadsox 11-01-2008 10:26 AM

I found a good use for Johnny Walker Black - Making home fries

RedRocksU2 11-01-2008 11:31 AM

Ok, everyday I pass a BevMo...and I just think about this thread.

toscano 11-01-2008 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreadsox (Post 5579149)
I found a good use for Johnny Walker Black - Making home fries

fries or fires ?

Dreadsox 11-01-2008 11:53 AM

:o)

Headache in a Suitcase 11-02-2008 06:17 PM

i've had about 10 smithwick's while watchin the giants... am i in the right thread?

LarryMullen's POPAngel 11-03-2008 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase (Post 5582051)
i've had about 10 smithwick's while watchin the giants... am i in the right thread?

Smithwicks :drool:

Irvine511 11-03-2008 09:35 AM

we had a lovely, playful little grenache last night.

we're hot for spain these days.

toscano 11-04-2008 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corianderstem (Post 5578341)
Oh, good. Glad I didn't buy a dud. :)

You gonna break it out tonight if Obama wins ?

corianderstem 11-04-2008 01:53 PM

I may break it out tonight at 5 Pacific Time, which is when the polls close on the east coast.

Any hour prior to that is just unseemly. ;)

But yeah, once results start coming in, that's when I might need to self-medicate.

toscano 11-04-2008 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corianderstem (Post 5586208)
I may break it out tonight at 5 Pacific Time, which is when the polls close on the east coast.

Any hour prior to that is just unseemly. ;)

But yeah, once results start coming in, that's when I might need to self-medicate.

They close at4pm PST in some places (FL, VA, etc)

Not at all unseemly.

It would meet with wholehearted approval in Scotland......

corianderstem 11-04-2008 02:05 PM

Still too early for me. I'm a lightweight!

phanan 11-04-2008 03:43 PM

If there is an unforseen disaster tonight, I'll be visiting this thread often.

randhail 11-04-2008 03:55 PM

Just order a case of Fat Tire Ale today - New Belgium really needs to start distributing out on the East Coast. The shipping costs more than the beer. :angry:

corianderstem 11-04-2008 07:14 PM

I've broken out my little bottle of Glenlivet. It's not bad. The aftertaste is very nice, but the first sensation is almost a perfumey taste I'm not sure I like.

I do like the warm feeling it's giving my tummy, though. ;)

I liked the kind I had at my friend's better, though. I asked him what it was last time I saw him, and it wasn't one of the ones you all had recommended. I'll have to get him to write it down for me.

toscano 11-04-2008 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corianderstem (Post 5587833)
I've broken out my little bottle of Glenlivet. It's not bad. The aftertaste is very nice, but the first sensation is almost a perfumey taste I'm not sure I like.

I do like the warm feeling it's giving my tummy, though. ;)

I liked the kind I had at my friend's better, though. I asked him what it was last time I saw him, and it wasn't one of the ones you all had recommended. I'll have to get him to write it down for me.

I've got the Glenfiddich 18 out, I understand what you mean by the perfumeyness, to some degree it's the nature of the beast though.

corianderstem 11-04-2008 09:48 PM

I only drank a little of it. It's a nice sipping drink.

I'm about to break open one of my bottles of champagne, though. :shifty:

Diemen 11-25-2008 02:21 PM

Have to bring this back from the dead. Stumbled across this amazing post/thread in another forum I visit from time to time.

You want to try some scotch? This guy seems to know what he's talking about:

Scotch - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

corianderstem 11-25-2008 02:27 PM

Wow, that's pretty impressive. I'm going to try adding a bit of water and see how I like that.

I'm still working my way through my little bottle of Glenlivet (I think it's the 12, which this guy doesn't think much of). I've been having maybe 1-2 fingers of it a couple times a week. I don't care for the taste, but I have to admit, I get that nice, warm feeling from drinking it that I don't get from other liquor. It's cozy.

I wish the good stuff were cheaper - I'd rather spend $50 on some CDs than a bottle of booze. Oh well.

toscano 11-25-2008 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corianderstem (Post 5632392)
Wow, that's pretty impressive. I'm going to try adding a bit of water and see how I like that.

I'm still working my way through my little bottle of Glenlivet (I think it's the 12, which this guy doesn't think much of). I've been having maybe 1-2 fingers of it a couple times a week. I don't care for the taste, but I have to admit, I get that nice, warm feeling from drinking it that I don't get from other liquor. It's cozy.

I wish the good stuff were cheaper - I'd rather spend $50 on some CDs than a bottle of booze. Oh well.

You can download the music, you can't download the alcohol.....priorities woman !!!

C'mon, $26.99 for Macallan 12 at Costco..........."yes we can"

"Macallan 12
The Macallan 12 is quite an interesting malt from the standpoint that many of the scotch "authorities" rate it highly, and many plain old enthusiasts rate it rather lower. I'm with the authorities, I think it is quite good, and great for the $$. I think many enthusiasts let the fact that the 12 is not very smoky or peaty lower their overall rating, where to me, it is simply a different style, but excellently executed. I certainly like it over the similar style Glenfarclas scotches I've had, since the Glenfarclas has a sort of sulpher taste that bothers me a little bit"

corianderstem 11-25-2008 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toscano (Post 5632397)
You can download the music, you can't download the alcohol.....priorities woman !!!

C'mon, $26.99 for Macallan 12 at Costco..........."yes we can"

First of all, I'm very picky about my music - a download of an album off iTunes is not the same as having the physical CD on my shelves. It's my collection, man!

Second of all, I don't have a Costco membership. :(

But one of my coworkers' husbands works there ...... :hmm:

Diemen 11-25-2008 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corianderstem (Post 5632392)

You might like the Macallan 12 then. You get that nice cozy feeling, plus I think it tastes pretty good, too. :) I've tried adding a little water, but prefer mine straight. Or I guess "neat" is the right term for a scotch aficionado.

Quote:

Yeah. I think I've pretty much hit my spending limit with the Macallan. Though I paid about 40 for mine. I may have to get a costco membership one of these days...

Vincent Vega 11-25-2008 05:58 PM

A friend of mine is a Scotch lover, so I shared the link with him. He is very delighted. :) Thanks for the hint.

He certainly wants to try the Ardbeg. Maybe we will find a nice Jazz bar in Seattle to have a nice accompanying drink.

corianderstem 11-25-2008 06:00 PM

You're coming to Seattle, Vincent?

In the Pioneer Square neighborhood, there's a bar called F.X. McRory's, and they have a good Scotch selection. :)

Diemen 11-25-2008 06:29 PM

I'll have to remember that next time I'm up there. Which should be sometime this coming year. Late Spring-ish, maybe. :)

Vincent Vega 11-25-2008 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corianderstem (Post 5632750)
You're coming to Seattle, Vincent?

In the Pioneer Square neighborhood, there's a bar called F.X. McRory's, and they have a good Scotch selection. :)

Yeah, I'm coming! We were thinking about it for a while since we have some days off over Thanksgiving. Finally decided to go. So tomorrow we will start the trip, that is me, two Japanese and a Moroccan guy. I will make a note for the bar. Thanks!
The Japanese are also going to check out the fish market and are craving some Sushi. So we will hit some of the Japanese restaurants I guess. And then there is demand for a Jazz bar. Do you know of any great bars with some live Jazz music?

Btw., how are alcohol laws in Washington State? The Moroccan guy is only 20, so we are curious if the laws are as harsh as here in Montana where he can't even access many of the bars.

corianderstem 11-25-2008 07:29 PM

I'm not a jazz gal myself, but I hear good things about Jazz Alley - that might be right up your alley. Har har har. Oh man, sushi. :drool: Do you know where you'll be staying? There are a few options for the downtown/Belltown area (close to the Market).

I'd say you'll have a hard time getting alcohol or getting into bars if you're not 21. Sorry. :(

Let me know if you have other questions. I haven't talked to you much on the site, but consider yourself with a standing option of getting together for coffee or food or something, if you're interested in meeting a somewhat familiar face. No problem if you can't or don't want to. :)

And Diemen - YAY! Definitely let me know when you'll be back in Seattle. Would be cool to try and get together!

purpleoscar 11-25-2008 08:12 PM

https://www.jocelynwines.com/06bots/04cabres.gif

Very smooth Cabernet. :drool:

Vincent Vega 11-25-2008 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corianderstem (Post 5632876)
I'm not a jazz gal myself, but I hear good things about Jazz Alley - that might be right up your alley. Har har har. Oh man, sushi. :drool: Do you know where you'll be staying? There are a few options for the downtown/Belltown area (close to the Market).

I'd say you'll have a hard time getting alcohol or getting into bars if you're not 21. Sorry. :(

Let me know if you have other questions. I haven't talked to you much on the site, but consider yourself with a standing option of getting together for coffee or food or something, if you're interested in meeting a somewhat familiar face. No problem if you can't or don't want to. :)

And Diemen - YAY! Definitely let me know when you'll be back in Seattle. Would be cool to try and get together!

We are still looking for cheap places to stay. Since we have a car we are relatively mobile, but it shouldn't be too far from the city either.
The Jazz Alley sounds great, but entry is $30. We might still go there, but we will also check for some bars with live Jazz music and free entry.
I hope we can at least go into the bars. The one guy is 20 (turns 21 in the first week of January) but the rest of us is older. Maybe we will at least get in and have a nice time. Here in Montana it's even a crime if you drink in the presence of minors. Hopefully there it's less harsh.

I don't know exactly how our schedule will look like in Seattle. We are thinking of going to the aquarium on Thursday and to the air and space museum probably on Friday. In between and on Saturday we are going to explore the city, visit the first Starbucks (were you the one working for Starbucks, by the way?) and do whatever else there is to do.
I would love to meet with you sometime, though I can't say when would be best fitting. But I could PM you my cell phone number and we could try and set up a time somewhat spontaneously when I know more. :)

corianderstem 11-25-2008 11:23 PM

Ooh, you know what I just thought of? There's a bar in Pioneer Square that has a sign in the window that says "minors welcome until 10", and I know they have live music - usually jazz and/or blues, I think. Can't think of the name of it off the top of my head.

I'm the Starbucks gal - I work at the head office, which is south of downtown. Shoot me a PM, and if we can figure something out then great. If not, then oh well. :)

Vincent Vega 11-26-2008 12:00 AM

I will try, and if nothing works out I will let you know.

The bar sounds very interesting. I guess we might just go there and check the places around there. Thank you once again. :)

RedRocksU2 11-26-2008 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purpleoscar (Post 5632947)

I'm gonna have to try this one.

purpleoscar 11-26-2008 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRocksU2 (Post 5633530)
I'm gonna have to try this one.

I find the more the reserve or hand picked grapes the wine tastes better.

You can search tasting notes of your wines at:

Welcome to CellarTracker!

People put their entire cellars there and usually if you have a wine that isn't too obscure you can find other people's thoughts on it as well.

RedRocksU2 11-26-2008 11:33 AM

:up:

corianderstem 11-26-2008 10:25 PM

So I just had a little vodka (Stoli), and am now completely stuffed up. Runny nose and everything. I figured I have a wine allergy, as I will get stuffed up when I drink more than a small glass of red wine ... or sometimes even any wine, including champagne.

So now I just had about two shots of vodka, and am blowing my nose every three minutes. Scotch doesn't seem to bring this out in me. I've heard of red wine allergies, but this is ridiculous.

Unacceptable. I AM NOT HAPPY. :mad:

toscano 11-27-2008 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corianderstem (Post 5634928)
So I just had a little vodka (Stoli), and am now completely stuffed up. Runny nose and everything. I figured I have a wine allergy, as I will get stuffed up when I drink more than a small glass of red wine ... or sometimes even any wine, including champagne.

So now I just had about two shots of vodka, and am blowing my nose every three minutes. Scotch doesn't seem to bring this out in me. I've heard of red wine allergies, but this is ridiculous.

Unacceptable. I AM NOT HAPPY. :mad:

Where was the wine from ?

My wife doesn't have an issue with most California Reds, but French and Italian give her the same reaction

corianderstem 11-27-2008 10:08 AM

Oh, I have no idea. It wasn't anything fancy. Sometimes I can have a little with no problem at all. Other times I take two sips of vodka, and I have sneezing fits - like last night.

It's seriously annoying.

toscano 11-27-2008 10:19 AM

Oh, I misunderstood, I thought you had the sneezing fits after the red wine.

Never heard of a vodka allergy, maybe it was something you were eating or where you were ? Or what you mixed it with ?

Or maybe someone around you had been near a cat ?

When I have unexplained allergies I ask the kids if they've been in someone's house who owns a cat recently, and usually they have !

corianderstem 11-27-2008 10:41 AM

Oh, I have a cat and am allergic - but I take drugs for that and can be around the cat day in and day out with no issue.

Maybe a combination of the alcohol and the claritin, or alcohol and cat dander sometimes makes my nose go goofy.

corianderstem 11-27-2008 09:20 PM

See, now a year ago at Thanksgiving, I drank a few glasses of champagne, and I was stuffed up for hours.

Tonight? A few glasses of champagne and am completely fine.

I'll shut up now.

Diemen 11-27-2008 10:54 PM

I brought along some wine for Thanksgiving dinner here at my sister's. The first I'd never tasted before but saw a great review at Wine Library TV: Gary Vaynerchuk's daily wine video blog (highly recommended if you're into wine).

2006 Domaine Lucien Albrecht Gewurztraminer Reserve
https://cache.wine.com/labels/87797l.jpg

And one I'd tasted at the winery before and really loved:

2006 Hartford Highwire Zinfandel
https://www.hartfordwines.com/wines/z...s_highwire.jpg

Both were fantastic. The Gewurztraminer was loaded with fruit - very peachy with a good spicy, gingery finish. The Zin was a big boy...loads of dark fruit, but not too jammy, with nice solid structure and pepper to balance it all out.

Yum. :up:

Angela Harlem 11-27-2008 11:20 PM

chivas regal
red wine
white dessert wine
occasionally a premixed, if it's icy cold and the weather is hot.
recently, jb + coke zero.

chivas all the way though.
:drool:

Diemen 12-31-2008 06:49 PM

Bringing this thread back from the dead.

I had the chance to indulge myself (and my family) with lots of tasty alcohol over Christmas break with the family. I had a $40 bottle of Belgian beer that was simply amazing (Scaldis Prestige - my brother in law got it from one of his clients), I tried a bottle of Caol Ila 17 year Cask Strength single malt that was just amazing - smoky & peaty but so refined, with the smell of smoke and the sea all in one. I also had the chance to compare Macallan 12 to Glenlivet 12. There is no comparison - Macallan hands down. Glenlivet tastes pretty unrefined and a bit gasolinish in comparison.

And then there was quite a bit of wine to be had:
Rosenblum 2005 Rockpile Road Zinfandel -
Lucien Albrecht 2006 Gewurztraminer Reserve (had this one at Thanksgiving, too)
Porter Creek 2005 Reserve Pinot Noir
Hartford 2005 Land's Edge Pinot Noir
2005 Zabrin Atteca Armas (Spanish Garnacha) - holy crap this was good!
1998 Merryvale Profile - My sister bought a case of this when her first daughter was born. Very tasty stuff.
2005 Chateau Doisy-Vedrines Sauternes - if you've never had Sauternes I highly recommend it - it's a white dessert wine from Bordeaux that is just amazing. Probably my favorite drink of the holidays. :)

Amazingly no one got drunk (or hungover), but there were quite a few of us who were pleasantly buzzed for much of the evening! :D

And just today I've had the chance to compare the Macallan to a brand new bottle of Lagavulin 16 (it's New Year's eve, and I deserve something special! :D). As nice as the Macallan is, the Lagavulin is on an entirely different level. Much more complex - smoky, spicy, peaty but oh so smooth and balanced. Reminds me a lot of the Caol Ila, actually (both come from the same region). Turns out I'm not afraid of peatiness. :D

Anybody else indulge in some good stuff over the holidays?

RedRocksU2 12-31-2008 06:52 PM

:hmm:
Well, we did open a couple of Dom Pérignon bottles to celebrate the purchase of a business, just a few days ago.
:up:
But nothing compared to you.:up:

The Sad Punk 01-01-2009 07:42 AM

I was drinking some La Trappe beers - the Blonde and Double, if I'm not mistaken - right before Christmas, although I'll probably save my other bottles for cooler nights. Granted, the weather was cooler on Christmas Day than I was expecting, but still not cold enough to enjoy them to their highest potential. I'll be going to a Belgian beer cafe on Sunday with some mates, looking forward to drinking some lambics.

I had some mead the other night. I had never tried it before. Rather interesting, but not something I'm willing to try again anytime soon.

Finally, I had a red wine recently that I actually liked. I can't remember what it was, but I didn't think it sucked! This is a big deal.

A_Wanderer 01-01-2009 07:51 AM

I'm nursing a 2005 cab sav right now which is going down quite well.

The Sad Punk 01-04-2009 06:41 AM

Region, A_W?

Worked a couple of refreshing Aussie microbrews (Baron Lager and Yarra Valley Gold) and a Birra Moretti La Rossa (first time) tonight. Good stuff.