U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Free Your Mind (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/f199/)
-   -   The FYM Bar - All Alcohol Discussion Here (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/f199/the-fym-bar-all-alcohol-discussion-here-190551.html)

Dreadsox 10-26-2008 06:47 PM

The FYM Bar - All Alcohol Discussion Here

Quote:

Originally Posted by corianderstem (Post 5566375)
I'm developing a taste for scotch myself these days.

Take a break, you say? ...... does not compute. I'm not sure my computer even has an off switch! ;)

What brand? What year? Single Malt? Blended?

I would recommend - Glenmorangie 10 Year Old - with a dash of water. It does not need the rocks.

And - since my Sarah Palin melt down in September - my wife has limited my posting habits.

corianderstem 10-26-2008 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreadsox (Post 5566394)
What brand? What year? Single Malt? Blended?

Holy cow, I couldn't even tell you. I had some at the last two wedding receptions I was at, so I'm sure it wasn't anything quality. But last weekend I was at a friend's, and he loves scotch, so that probably was better. I'll have to ask him what it was.

There's a great bar here in Seattle that has this entire, giant blackboard listing all the scotch they've got at the bar. I don't think I could even name one. I've had it straight and with water.

what can I say - I'm a noob! ;)

Dreadsox 10-26-2008 06:57 PM

I aquired the taste a year ago... The Glenmorangie 10 Year Old is in the flask I keep in my golf bag. It is really good warm...

Diemen 10-26-2008 06:58 PM

Man, now you've got me really craving some scotch. And I don't have any in the house. Maybe port will do. :hmm:

corianderstem 10-26-2008 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreadsox (Post 5566428)
The Glenmorangie 10 Year Old is in the flask I keep in my golf bag. It is really good warm...

I'll have to check into that, and see what kind my friend has as well. I may need to snuggle up with some on election day. ;)

Thanks for the tip!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diemen (Post 5566431)
Man, now you've got me really craving some scotch. And I don't have any in the house. Maybe port will do. :hmm:

All I ever have on hand is vodka. If I didn't have to leave for a choir rehearsal in a half an hour, I'd be breaking it out of the freezer right about now.

toscano 10-26-2008 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corianderstem (Post 5566438)
I'll have to check into that, and see what kind my friend has as well. I may need to snuggle up with some on election day. ;)

Thanks for the tip!

All I ever have on hand is vodka. If I didn't have to leave for a choir rehearsal in a half an hour, I'd be breaking it out of the freezer right about now.

Macallan 12.......

Aged in previously-used-for making-sherry casks for a hint of sweetness

Water/Ice should NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVERERERERERERERE be mixed with a good scotch.

Dalwhinnie is good, a wee bit more of a peat-y type whisky rather than the Macallans which are a bit on the sweeter side

toscano 10-26-2008 07:06 PM

Oh, and never an "e" in whisky, if it has an 'e' it's not Scotch, it's the incredibly inferior Irish or Canadian firewater. May as well drink bourbon or some other nasty firewater.

A_Wanderer 10-26-2008 07:07 PM

Ardbeg 10 y.o.

Diemen 10-26-2008 07:09 PM

Note to self: stop by BevMo tomorrow for Scotch.

corianderstem 10-26-2008 07:10 PM

I gotta start taking notes. Where's my pen?

See how well we all get around when we talk about booze instead of politics? No one's getting in fist fights or anything!

.................. yet. :uhoh:

Dreadsox 10-26-2008 07:11 PM

The FYM Bar - All Alcohol Discussion Here

Now serving Glenmorangie - dash of water and be you all warned - I like to hug when I am buzzed.:hug:

Dreadsox 10-26-2008 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toscano (Post 5566447)
Macallan 12.......

Aged in previously-used-for making-sherry casks for a hint of sweetness

Water/Ice should NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVERERERERERERERE be mixed with a good scotch.

Dalwhinnie is good, a wee bit more of a peat-y type whisky rather than the Macallans which are a bit on the sweeter side

Many people feel a dash of water releases the taste.

That said, Johnny Walker black tastes better on the rocks to me.

Dreadsox 10-26-2008 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toscano (Post 5566447)
Macallan 12.......

If memory serves me correctly, this one tastes good with chocolate chip cookies warm from the oven.

Diemen 10-26-2008 07:14 PM

:lol:

Though to be fair, this might not be an FYM appropriate thread unless we start a discussion on the eco-social-political ramifications of adding water to scotch. ;)

corianderstem 10-26-2008 07:14 PM

:lol: Awesome.

So, scotch. Save for having it on the rocks, it's drunk warm, yes? Room temp and not shoved in the freezer like vodka?

Diemen: maybe we can leave it open through the election. We may need it. ;)

Dreadsox 10-26-2008 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diemen (Post 5566470)
:lol:

Though to be fair, this might not be an FYM appropriate thread unless we start a discussion on the eco-social-political ramifications of adding water to scotch. ;)

WE have never had an FYM Bar before.....:D We may need it over the next few days.

Dreadsox 10-26-2008 07:16 PM

You may want to remove the scotch posts from the other thread over here :O)

corianderstem 10-26-2008 07:16 PM

Liquor and cookies? Together?

Clearly, I need to start drinking more.

Diemen 10-26-2008 07:17 PM

Yep. I wish I remembered the names of the scotches I had at my brother's in-laws' house last Christmas. They spent a few weeks in Scotland and basically did a whisky tour.

I tasted 3 that night and all were fantastic, but one of them was clearly tops - smokey and oh so smooth.

U2democrat 10-26-2008 07:17 PM

Can't go wrong discussing politics over a glass of Kentucky Bourbon :up:

Diemen 10-26-2008 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreadsox (Post 5566473)
WE have never had an FYM Bar before.....:D We may need it over the next few days.

Good point.

U2isthebest 10-26-2008 07:18 PM

I really need a Cosmo.

corianderstem 10-26-2008 07:22 PM

Okay, I'm shutting down and moving my butt to get to choir.

When I get home, I'm going to curl up on the couch with a splash or so of vodka and a book. If you see me here later tonight, please yell at me and tell me to shut off the computer.

Later, all. Enjoy the scotch! :)

toscano 10-26-2008 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corianderstem (Post 5566459)
I gotta start taking notes. Where's my pen?

See how well we all get around when we talk about booze instead of politics? No one's getting in fist fights or anything!

.................. yet. :uhoh:

We will if people start adding ice/water to scotch.............

Lila64 10-26-2008 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by U2isthebest (Post 5566490)
I really need a Cosmo.

QFT :drool:

Bluer White 10-26-2008 07:40 PM

Give every man his Dew, Tullamore Dew. On the rocks even, that's my way.

Whiskey lends itself to the political process, does it not?

financeguy 10-26-2008 07:58 PM

I am more of a red wine man, Rioja specifically.

Diemen 10-26-2008 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by financeguy (Post 5566561)
I am more of a red wine man, Rioja specifically.

Alcohol, the great uniter. :) Red wine is definitely my favorite form of alcohol.

Lately I've been trying to expand my palate and get a taste for European wines. I've become quite a fan of Tempranillo and reds from Spain and Portugal. Though I do admit that I'm still a sucker for a big, fruity Napa cab.

JOFO 10-26-2008 08:13 PM

Sorry....late for the party.....I was out buying some
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../bass20ale.jpg

financeguy 10-26-2008 08:57 PM

But don't over indulge gang, or you'll end up singing the blues.:

Take it away, Rory.

YouTube - Rory Gallagher - Too Much Alcohol

toscano 10-26-2008 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by financeguy (Post 5566623)
But don't over indulge gang, or you'll end up singing the blues.:

Take it away, Rory.

YouTube - Rory Gallagher - Too Much Alcohol

R.I.P Rory - One of the good guys.

He showed up an hour late to a show once (opening night of the tour, his flight form Ireland to UK was late), so he made it up to us by playing an extra hour.

My dad was PISSED as he was waiting outside to pick us up and take us home.

Yes kids, there was a life before cell phones.

purpleoscar 10-26-2008 09:05 PM

https://www.thewinedoctor.com/images/...nilabelbar.jpg

Nuff said.:drool:

Irvine511 10-26-2008 09:32 PM

i drank way, way too much champagne last night. does that count?

i like vodka (Kettle One), red wine (any south african red will do), and Belgian beer (je t'adore, Leffe Brune).

but i'm really not all that picky.

unico 10-26-2008 09:42 PM

i'm not picky either. i'll drink pretty much anything with ethanol in it.

Irvine511 10-26-2008 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unico (Post 5566672)
i'm not picky either. i'll drink pretty much anything with ethanol in it.

what was that wine we had at Busboys and Poets? it wasn't organic, it had another hippie communist distinction to it ... biologique? or something?

unico 10-26-2008 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvine511 (Post 5566673)
what was that wine we had at Busboys and Poets? it wasn't organic, it had another hippie communist distinction to it ... biologique? or something?

oh damn!!! i can't remember...was it that it was vegan wine, and we were wondering 'wtf is vegan wine?'

JOFO 10-26-2008 09:52 PM

It's funny, I like to drink, probably more than I should, but I'll only drink good quality beers (Bass, Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada) and Red Wine, preferably Italian, preferably Merlot or Cabernet.

If given the choice I'd turn away Vodka, Whiskey, Bourbon, etc. Not my bag.

Diemen 10-26-2008 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvine511 (Post 5566656)
i drank way, way too much champagne last night. does that count?

i like vodka (Kettle One), red wine (any south african red will do), and Belgian beer (je t'adore, Leffe Brune).

but i'm really not all that picky.

I am a huge belgian beer fan - though I sadly don't indulge it as often as my wine habit. If any of you FYMers are ever in the bay area, I'd be glad to talk politics (or whatever, really) over a glass of beer at either the Toronado (great dive bar near Haight/Ashbury with a huuuuge beer list) or the Trappiste (specializes in belgians/belgian style) in downtown Oakland.

Vincent Vega 10-26-2008 09:55 PM

A German comedian has a nice song about the topic (chorus is not that important ;))
YouTube - Otto Waalkes - Grund zum feiern

And the beer even Colin Powell enjoys (as mentioned in another thread), since he was stationed in the town it is brewed:
Flensburger Brewery
Joshka Fischer, former foreign minister of Germany, would bring him a six-pack when they meet and Powell would send it back for recycling. :) Those were the times.

I tried Bud Light once and had a regular Bud some years ago: it's disgusting and an insult to anyone who cares about beer.
I've pretty much stopped with hard stuff about six years ago. But I still enjoy beer. :)

Irvine511 10-26-2008 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diemen (Post 5566688)
I am a huge belgian beer fan - though I sadly don't indulge it as often as my wine habit. If any of you FYMers are ever in the bay area, I'd be glad to talk politics (or whatever, really) over a glass of beer at either the Toronado (great dive bar near Haight/Ashbury with a huuuuge beer list) or the Trappiste (specializes in belgians/belgian style) in downtown Oakland.

i have a sister in SanFran ... :hmm:

JOFO 10-26-2008 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diemen (Post 5566688)
Toronado (great dive bar near Haight/Ashbury with a huuuuge beer list) .

I'm pretty sure my wife and I had a few there when we visited in 07.

Irvine511 10-26-2008 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unico (Post 5566682)
oh damn!!! i can't remember...was it that it was vegan wine, and we were wondering 'wtf is vegan wine?'

yes, possibly. it was something traitorous like that.

Diemen 10-26-2008 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent Vega (Post 5566691)
I tried Bud Light once and had a regular Bud some years ago: it's disgusting and an insult to anyone who cares about beer.

I will proudly admit to having never had a Bud Light or regular Bud. I have unfortunately had Coors Light, Michelob Light, Miller Genuine Draft and other similar piss-water.

JOFO 10-26-2008 09:59 PM

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...to-alcohol.jpg

Diemen 10-26-2008 10:00 PM

I'll drink to that. :up:

anitram 10-26-2008 10:01 PM

I can't stand beer, everything about it just really grosses me out for some reason.

I'd like to like wine, but I get an allergic reaction from red wine (red blotches all over my face) and I'm not a huge fan of white wine, so I don't really have it often.

I do really like vodka (Chopin is the best I've had), I like whisky in some mixed drinks, and I really like rum a lot. Hate tequila.

Vincent Vega 10-26-2008 10:02 PM

I was genuinely interested in American beer and when we made our class trip to Tuscany back in 2001 there was a bar that served Budweiser and Miller, I think. I tried it and it was boring.
Last weekend someone gave me a can of Bud Light. I couldn't finish it. The taste is awful. I really don't get how they can call that beer.
The greatest thing: the people drink light beer and are proud of themselves that they can have so much of it. Go figure.

More bar tips for the bay area, please. I will be there January 5 till 10. :) Beer and politics never hurts. ;)

JOFO 10-26-2008 10:05 PM

Thread=:up:

unico 10-26-2008 10:12 PM

i haven't had a drink since the 18th :depressed:

Diemen 10-26-2008 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent Vega (Post 5566707)
More bar tips for the bay area, please. I will be there January 5 till 10. :) Beer and politics never hurts. ;)

Cool! Have you decided if you're going to try to hit Yosemite or not?

Truth be told I'm not the best person to speak about bars in the bay area - I don't go very often. When I do go out it's usually to check out a bar that has a reputation for good beer. Hence my discovery of the Toronado and Trappiste.

Do you like wine, Vincent? I'd suggest a day trip to Sonoma/Napa to do some wine tasting if so.