U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Every Artist Is A Cannibal, Every Poet Is A Thief (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/f193/)
-   -   U2 by U2: another mistake of the 2000's? (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/f193/u2-by-u2-another-mistake-of-the-2000s-190183.html)

BGD75 11-06-2008 04:16 AM

Everyone has their own opinions and expectations. It's impossible for every fan to LOVE every song, every video or for that matter, every book. I personally, loved it - I finished reading it in few days - couldn't put it down - I found it very interesting, especially the childhood years. There were times I laughed out loud because the way they talked about certain things was quite funny. "Is Dick in the band?"

Edge_Orchestra 11-06-2008 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BGD75 (Post 5592936)
Everyone has their own opinions and expectations. It's impossible for every fan to LOVE every song, every video or for that matter, every book. I personally, loved it - I finished reading it in few days - couldn't put it down - I found it very interesting, especially the childhood years. There were times I laughed out loud because the way they talked about certain things was quite funny. "Is Dick in the band?"

I laughed at a number of things... the "Is Dick In The Band" line was one that made me laugh out loud too. Didn't he punch one of them when they let him go?

I think the book is great - not perfect but - pretty great. It is good to hear them tell things from thier own experiences or memories of said experiences!

...plus the pics of Edge with 'baby' Sian and Morliegh with 'baby' Sian, are cute and heartwarming. To us, they are a favorite band and entertainers and people we look up to, in some cases. But it was heartwarming to see that very normal 'family' moment.

Loar 01-25-2009 11:07 AM

Got it for $15 at a used bookstore.

It's a coffee table book, and when I'm bored and have nothing better to do, sometimes I read bits and pieces out of it.

If you want a good, solid book about U2 (at least, up through Zooropa), read Flanagan's book. This one is bubble gum, and I knew most of the stuff in it anyway, but it's still fun to read.

u2search 01-27-2009 12:53 PM

I've read it twice and I love it. You just need to take it as it is. For other people's insights, there are other books (like U2 Show as mentioned earlier). Hopefully, one day, we'll see a thoroughly researched independent book based on both band members' and other peoples views but that might take a while. I'd love to hear the take of the ones that worked with them end didn't like them or their music or their methods, just to have a more complete picture. But this book is - by design - the book that tells the story the way they want the world to see it. I think it's partly written to encourage young bands and artists to continue and try: If we could do it, so can you. Although I found it very discouraging, all the trouble you apparently have to go through, but then I'm no artist :)

On another note, for Dutch fans: if you buy No Line on the Horizon at the Free Record Shop you get a free copy of U2 by U2 with the album. Pocket edition in English with a few photographs. If you pre order you get the book instantly, it's already in the shops.

lauramullen 02-03-2009 04:37 PM

I read it once. I have 2 copies, but am going to read it again. Most of it I read in the line at the signing. This will always be my top U2 book for obvious reasons.

KJ Collins 02-03-2009 07:22 PM

I'm in the middle of reading it. Well, I'm not reading it in any particular order. The one thing that bothers me is how the band looks at the whole Pop/Popmart era as one big negative. I know there were rough times, but when you have live songs as good as Discotheque, Please and HMTM... you really should play them live.

I saw the first show of the Elevation Tour in Florida and before Discotheque, Bono more or less apologized for that entire period. No need for apologies, B-Man, your fans loved that period too. Please, please, pleeeeeeease, play more songs from it.

cdirani 02-04-2009 08:56 PM

I got the pocket book version of U2 By U2 today at my local bookstore. It's the UK version. I simply loved they released it that format because my hardback regular cover proved to be impossble to be read...in the bathroom ;) Now seriously, as much as I tried I couldn't read the original version back-to-back and now I'm simply eating the pages! It's a fantastic book and I think it was cool to release it to celebrate the 30 years of the band. :heart::up::up:

bonocomet 02-04-2009 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdirani (Post 5820640)
I got the pocket book version of U2 By U2 today at my local bookstore. It's the UK version. I simply loved they released it that format because my hardback regular cover proved to be impossble to be read...in the bathroom ;) Now seriously, as much as I tried I couldn't read the original version back-to-back and now I'm simply eating the pages! It's a fantastic book and I think it was cool to release it to celebrate the 30 years of the band. :heart::up::up:

:hmm: So is that version all the same text as the original release except without all of the photos on all the pages? Because if so... I think I would read it much easier too. I haven't been able to read the first one yet, pictures have been too distracting! :D

Edge_Orchestra 02-05-2009 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Sad Punk (Post 5530605)
Anyway, I think Adam should write a book.

That'd be great idea. And he could call it: "Tea Time with Adam Clayton".

EdgeIsTooSexy 02-07-2009 12:20 PM

It was pretty good, but its not one of my favorites.

blueeyedgirl 02-08-2009 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdirani (Post 5820640)
I got the pocket book version of U2 By U2 today at my local bookstore. It's the UK version. I simply loved they released it that format because my hardback regular cover proved to be impossble to be read...in the bathroom ;):

Please tell me you weren't reading it on the toilet??? A friend of mine truly disappointed me when I found his copy in the loo.... :(

digitize 02-08-2009 10:15 PM

I just finished reading U2 At The End of the World. It's amazing how badly U2ByU2 pales in comparison. And I enjoyed U2ByU2, throughly.

lauramullen 02-10-2009 10:25 AM

At The End of the World is a great book. I must have read it so many times.

domo-kun 01-24-2010 05:33 AM

I read both , and just bought the small paperback version. I must say, UTTEOTW is more exiting, but u2 by u2 has more content, and looks inside their own heads. Wich I appreciate greatly. Great books , no discussion about it.

Gabi_Clayton 01-24-2010 06:21 AM

I read only U2 by U2 and I liked it a lot. Also I loved the graphic processing of this book.

bugo 12-15-2010 02:26 PM

I was Bono's Doppelganger FTW!