U2 Feedback

U2 Feedback (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/)
-   Free Your Mind Archive (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/f290/)
-   -   US 08 Presidential Campaign General Discussion Thread #8 (https://www.u2interference.com/forums/f290/us-08-presidential-campaign-general-discussion-thread-8-a-189454.html)

ImOuttaControl 09-04-2008 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar (Post 5427315)
Or maybe I just have common sense. It's a pretty easy educated guess to make. I was surrounded last night by people that could care less about politics most of the time, they just vote their party and stay out it but wanted to watch her. I know even more left leaning folks that aren't even paying attention to the RNC but wanted to watch her because they know nothing about her...

It's not like all these people tuned because they know she's a great speaker, or full of good ideas, etc... :shrug:

Common sense?? Or it's that you, and the majority of this forum are extremely biased? A forum that is comprised of, what, 80% of people who would be left on the political spectrum? A group that is in no way representative of the country as a whole. When I usually lurk in this forum, I laugh to myself how the "wingnuts" on both sides (though the lefties here are FAR more numerous) are like a pack of wild hyenas that feed off of each other and stay from the rational middle ground. To me, making a seemingly certain statement like "they only watched because they didn't know her" as if there is no other reason is just plain ignorant. How can you possibly know? Maybe some people, like myself, are curious because she's the first female VP GOP candidate... In any case, I do really appreciate this forum because it does help me incorporate all arguements into my class discussions.

Also, I'm not naive(to whoever said it). I'm about as cynical as they come...it comes in handy though as I spend all day playing devil's advocate with my 11th/12th grade government students.

namkcuR 09-04-2008 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2861U2 (Post 5427403)
Good news so far. CBS poll has them tied 42-42, where it was 48-40 a week ago. The polls next week will be very interesting.

These national polls don't matter.

What matters is that Obama/Biden is ahead in New Mexico, 47.3 to 43.

What matters is that Obama/Biden is ahead in Pennsylvania, 47.4 to 42.4.

What matters is that Obama/Biden is ahead in Michigan, 46.0 to 41.7.

What matters is that Obama/Biden is ahead in Colorado, albeit by the slimmest of margins.

If all of this holds true, they win the election, even without Ohio, Virginia, or Florida. And the McCain/Palin lead in Ohio is less than one point right now, and it's a deadlock in Virginia.

McCain/Palin have a steeper hill to climb in terms of the electoral college.

deep 09-04-2008 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by namkcuR (Post 5427439)
These national polls don't matter.

What matters is that Obama/Biden is ahead in New Mexico, 47.3 to 43.

What matters is that Obama/Biden is ahead in Pennsylvania, 47.4 to 42.4.

What matters is that Obama/Biden is ahead in Michigan, 46.0 to 41.7.

What matters is that Obama/Biden is ahead in Colorado, albeit by the slimmest of margins.

If all of this holds true, they win the election, even without Ohio, Virginia, or Florida. And the McCain/Palin lead in Ohio is less than one point right now, and it's a deadlock in Virginia.

McCain/Palin have a steeper hill to climb in terms of the electoral college.


especially with 8 years of Bush/ Cheney

with an approval rating around 28 %

Diemen 09-04-2008 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImOuttaControl (Post 5427405)
Common sense?? Or it's that you, and the majority of this forum are extremely biased? A forum that is comprised of, what, 80% of people who would be left on the political spectrum? A group that is in no way representative of the country as a whole. When I usually lurk in this forum, I laugh to myself how the "wingnuts" on both sides (though the lefties here are FAR more numerous) are like a pack of wild hyenas that feed off of each other and stay from the rational middle ground. To me, making a seemingly certain statement like "they only watched because they didn't know her" as if there is no other reason is just plain ignorant. How can you possibly know? Maybe some people, like myself, are curious because she's the first female VP GOP candidate... In any case, I do really appreciate this forum because it does help me incorporate all arguements into my class discussions.

Also, I'm not naive(to whoever said it). I'm about as cynical as they come...it comes in handy though as I spend all day playing devil's advocate with my 11th/12th grade government students.

This has nothing to do with bias. She's an unknown. Her positions are not clear. It was unclear what kind of speech she'd give or what kind of speaker she is. Would she try and appeal to the middle, independent women? Would she rally the base instead? All these were complete unknowns prior to her speech. People were interested in seeing what she had to offer. If this were Joe Liebermann, Mitt Romney or any other person who has been in the public eye for quite sometime giving the VP speech, I can guarantee you the numbers would not be as high because their reputation and style have already been well established in the party and in the wider political arena. Add on top of that the controversy of the pick and the various rumors swirling around in the days since the announcement, and the huge viewer turn out is pretty easily explained.

2861U2 09-04-2008 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by namkcuR (Post 5427439)
These national polls don't matter.

What matters is that Obama/Biden is ahead in New Mexico, 47.3 to 43.

What matters is that Obama/Biden is ahead in Pennsylvania, 47.4 to 42.4.

What matters is that Obama/Biden is ahead in Michigan, 46.0 to 41.7.

What matters is that Obama/Biden is ahead in Colorado, albeit by the slimmest of margins.

If all of this holds true, they win the election, even without Ohio, Virginia, or Florida. And the McCain/Palin lead in Ohio is less than one point right now, and it's a deadlock in Virginia.

McCain/Palin have a steeper hill to climb in terms of the electoral college.

Would you be tossing aside national polls if Obama was up 50-40? Of course the EC is what counts, but I think national polls count for something, and I think they start meaning something right about now.

I could argue that state polls are basically meaningless right now, too, since most of them don't include the pick of Palin or the convention. I think she'll play well in Colorado, Michigan, and maybe Pennsylvania, so a lot could change in the coming weeks. We'll see.

The McCain campaign does have the task of taking 270 away from Obama, but it's certainly possibly. If the polls hold (and you give Virginia to McCain, which is likely) all he has to do is flip Michigan or Colorado.

phillyfan26 09-04-2008 06:08 PM

My father, who absolutely despises Joe Biden, was not at all impressed with Palin.

phillyfan26 09-04-2008 06:09 PM

Obama/Biden will definitively win PA, I guarantee that.

BVS 09-04-2008 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImOuttaControl (Post 5427405)
Common sense?? Or it's that you, and the majority of this forum are extremely biased? A forum that is comprised of, what, 80% of people who would be left on the political spectrum? A group that is in no way representative of the country as a whole. When I usually lurk in this forum, I laugh to myself how the "wingnuts" on both sides (though the lefties here are FAR more numerous) are like a pack of wild hyenas that feed off of each other and stay from the rational middle ground. To me, making a seemingly certain statement like "they only watched because they didn't know her" as if there is no other reason is just plain ignorant. How can you possibly know? Maybe some people, like myself, are curious because she's the first female VP GOP candidate... In any case, I do really appreciate this forum because it does help me incorporate all arguements into my class discussions.

You are missing my point by miles!!! There is no bias in my statement, my statement made no judgement about her whatsoever, I'm not sure what you are reading. You even said it yourself, "Maybe some people, like myself, are curious because she's the first female VP GOP candidate", it's curiosity. Now if she had been on the campaign trail now for several months would the curiosity factor still be there? Not nearly as much.

Honestly, I'm baffled by what you thought I was trying to say...:shrug:

Harry Vest 09-04-2008 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phillyfan26 (Post 5427542)
My father, who absolutely despises Joe Biden, was not at all impressed with Palin.

How could he NOT be impressed? She's hot, sexy and spoke extremely well....

Oh, maybe it's the issues?

Irvine511 09-04-2008 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2861U2 (Post 5427491)
Would you be tossing aside national polls if Obama was up 50-40?



in the Gallup Poll, which we've been told repeatedly is the only poll that matters, Obama remains in the lead, 49-43%. this includes polling taken since yesterday, so it includes half the convention.

anitram 09-04-2008 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvine511 (Post 5428103)
in the Gallup Poll, which we've been told repeatedly is the only poll that matters, Obama remains in the lead, 49-43%. this includes polling taken since yesterday, so it includes half the convention.

Actually McCain's slipped a point so it's 49-42.

diamond 09-04-2008 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anitram (Post 5428109)
Actually McCain's slipped a point so it's 49-42.

:hmm:

CBS Poll: McCain, Obama Tied, McCain Closes Eight-Point Gap From Poll Taken Last Weekend - CBS News

doesnt carry much weight.

<>

2861U2 09-05-2008 10:01 AM

From Drudge...

BIG DILEMMA: OPRAH BALKS AT HOSTING SARAH PALIN; STAFF DIVIDED
Fri Sep 05 2008 08:55:46 ET

Oprah Winfrey may have introduced Democrat Barack Obama to the women of America -- but the talkshow queen is not rushing to embrace the first woman on a Republican presidential ticket!

Oprah's staff is sharply divided on the merits of booking Sarah Palin, sources tell the DRUDGE REPORT.

"Half of her staff really wants Sarah Palin on," an insider explains. "Oprah's website is getting tons of requests to put her on, but Oprah and a couple of her top people are adamantly against it because of Obama."

One executive close to Winfrey is warning any Palin ban could ignite a dramatic backlash!

It is not clear if Oprah has softened her position after watching Palin's historic convention speech.

Last year, Winfrey blocked an appearance by Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, timed to a promotional tour of his autobiography.

Oprah and executive producer Sheri Salata, who has contributed thousands of dollars to Obama's campaign, refused requests for comment.

------

I'm disappointed in Oprah. Though I've never exactly been a fan of hers anyway.

U2isthebest 09-05-2008 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2861U2 (Post 5429554)
From Drudge...

BIG DILEMMA: OPRAH BALKS AT HOSTING SARAH PALIN; STAFF DIVIDED
Fri Sep 05 2008 08:55:46 ET

Oprah Winfrey may have introduced Democrat Barack Obama to the women of America -- but the talkshow queen is not rushing to embrace the first woman on a Republican presidential ticket!

Oprah's staff is sharply divided on the merits of booking Sarah Palin, sources tell the DRUDGE REPORT.

"Half of her staff really wants Sarah Palin on," an insider explains. "Oprah's website is getting tons of requests to put her on, but Oprah and a couple of her top people are adamantly against it because of Obama."

One executive close to Winfrey is warning any Palin ban could ignite a dramatic backlash!

It is not clear if Oprah has softened her position after watching Palin's historic convention speech.

Last year, Winfrey blocked an appearance by Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, timed to a promotional tour of his autobiography.

Oprah and executive producer Sheri Salata, who has contributed thousands of dollars to Obama's campaign, refused requests for comment.

------

I'm disappointed in Oprah. Though I've never exactly been a fan of hers anyway.


Who really cares? It's Oprah's show, she can have on whomever she wants.:shrug:

diamond 09-05-2008 10:13 AM

So much for empowering all women equally.

<>

2861U2 09-05-2008 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by U2isthebest (Post 5429567)
It's Oprah's show, she can have on whomever she wants.:shrug:

I know. I'm just disappointed. If she doesn't have her on, she'd be putting her politics above what would be really great television and surely a ton of viewers.

U2isthebest 09-05-2008 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2861U2 (Post 5429574)
I know. I'm just disappointed. If she doesn't have her on, she'd be putting her politics above what would be really great television and surely a ton of viewers.

That I can agree with you on. I'm just saying it's not really worth being upset or disappointed about. I love Oprah, but if she's going to be biased even in terms of her show guests, I disagree, but it doesn't really bother me.

anitram 09-05-2008 10:39 AM

Looks like the Democrats are forcing a vote on Lily Ledbetter Fair Pay Act in September in order to embarrass McCain.

Smart move.

deep 09-05-2008 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2861U2 (Post 5429554)
From Drudge...

BIG DILEMMA: OPRAH BALKS AT HOSTING SARAH PALIN; STAFF DIVIDED
Fri Sep 05 2008 08:55:46 ET

Oprah Winfrey may have introduced Democrat Barack Obama to the women of America -- but the talkshow queen is not rushing to embrace the first woman on a Republican presidential ticket!

Oprah's staff is sharply divided on the merits of booking Sarah Palin, sources tell the DRUDGE REPORT.

"Half of her staff really wants Sarah Palin on," an insider explains. "Oprah's website is getting tons of requests to put her on, but Oprah and a couple of her top people are adamantly against it because of Obama."

One executive close to Winfrey is warning any Palin ban could ignite a dramatic backlash!

It is not clear if Oprah has softened her position after watching Palin's historic convention speech.

Last year, Winfrey blocked an appearance by Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, timed to a promotional tour of his autobiography.

Oprah and executive producer Sheri Salata, who has contributed thousands of dollars to Obama's campaign, refused requests for comment.

------

I'm disappointed in Oprah. Though I've never exactly been a fan of hers anyway.


Perhaps

she will be allowed on the Ellen show

I think Ellen's stock is rising

and Oprah's is declining

yolland 09-05-2008 01:15 PM

Has Oprah ever had a national-level politician on her show before? I know she endorsed Obama and appeared at a few early primary rallies, then got so much flak from viewers for being 'too political' that she dropped her plans to continue (which I'd imagine is a factor in her wariness at the idea of having Palin on her show). She's hardly a serious political interviewer anyway; it's just a tabloid talk show.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com